“Very good location and value” 5 of 5 stars

The Chedburgh Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   12 Esplanade, Whitley Bay, England   |
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Whitley Bay
New York City, New York
“Very good location and value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

I liked this place overall and could stay here again. It's very well located on the Esplanade about 5-7 minutes walk to the Metro and the seaside promenade, and 5 minutes from South Parade where there are still a few good nightclubs and bars for the weekend partying.

The family (: Paul, Louise and children :) are very pleasant, helpful and do a good job of dishing out breakfast each morning to all residents who're up in time.

Ambiance and decor are nice enough: I was pleased with the setting of the tables in the dining hall, the generally simple but pleasant set up of the bathrooms, bedrooms etc. I'd love to see the showers working and fixed so that they are stable on the shower stand. Increased heating at night would be nice because for people who're not used to climate in Geordie-land, it's fairly chilly sometimes even in the "summer" because temperatures range from 18C-13C and that's not exactly balmy. Winters have minimums around 3C. So it's just cool, cooler and cold in this area. I guess that's why Geordies are more easily able to wear summer clothing when most people are reaching for a thick jacket.
The rooms have coffee making facilities, some shelf / wardrobe space, a wash basin, small desk and chair and, obviously, a bed.
Housekeeping is pretty good, there's a pleasant lady who comes over every day between 10 a.m. and noon, and does a good job. I like the shortbread cookies that came with the daily allotment of instant coffee sachets.

Breakfast is pretty good i.e. cereals, orange & apple juice, milk, coffee/tea, toast, full English breakfast (: sausages, bacon, egg, beans, mushrooms too at times :). I was happy with it. Breakfast may be complimentary depending on your deal when booking.

Wi-fi was okay although I'd like to be more stable. Still acceptable though.

All in all, very good value for money on my deal. Recommended.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

Initially the place looked very nice. The rooms and beds are ok if you just want somewhere to get your head down. The walls are very thin so would recommend ear plugs or sleeping tablets. I know the place us cheep by in a while week I only had one towel change and the cleaner only seems to empty the bin, everything was dusty and the bed not properly made.

With some attention to detail this B&b could be really nice, just basic DIY like changing fuses and bulbs that have blown, re attaching things that have fallen off walls, sort plumbing out and planning doors to fit properly so they don't need to be slammed shut and wake every one up at 6.30.

• Stayed May 2014
Wakefield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

Had a short break of 3 days at the Chedburgh, Whitely Bay. We were made very welcome by the owner, Paul, who even carried my case upstairs to the very clean and comfortable room.The bed was very good, bedding and towels fresh and spotless. Breakfast was well cooked and the ingredients top quality.
All in all a great stay apart from the weather but I can't blame Paul for that.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Buxton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

Stayed at The Chedburgh over the weekend as part of a group of 11. This isn't a Hilton or The Ritz, but the price tag should tell you that. There was nothing at all for us to complain about. When we booked, Paul sent me a list of available rooms for us to pick which ones we wanted. The rooms were all clean and brightly decorated although the en-suite shower rooms are a little small, but perfectly adequate and more importantly they were lovely and clean. My room was on the top floor and no water pressure issues. The bed was the most comfy bed I've slept in for a long time, I'd have taken it home if I could! Breakfast was perfect and Paul and Louise's little girl Grace kept us all entertained, what a little character!! If we visit Whitley Bay again, The Chedburgh will be our first choice for accommodation and I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone. Thank you Paul, Louise and Grace. :-)

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Riviera del Sol, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

Nice room, comfy and just right. Paul and Louise are so open and friendly, excellent hosts and their B&B comes very much recommended. In addition to the great room they offer an evening meal for just a fiver, the quality and quantity matches anything you can find locally, so I didn't bother to go out for food.

Thanks Paul and Louise, it was really nice meeting you both, until the next time.

Period of stay 23rd to 28th Feb, 2nd March to 7th March 2014

Paul M.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

I have been here since yesterday and plan on staying until Wednesday and so far it has been a very comfortable stay, down to the fantastic hospitality of the hosts Paul and Louise whom I had never met before and now feel like we have known each other for a long time! This is a small dog friendly, non smoking establishment, including Paul and Louise who do not smoke, the room is spotless with crisp white sheets and white fluffy towels. The heating is controlled by a radiator in the room which I can turn up or down, its been on since I arrived and the water for my shower late last night was still hot. If you are an enthusiast like me on Art Deco, you will see how much work has gone into making the hotel contemporary, while at the same time maintaining the character, which it has lots of, from the outside it looks a normal sized building but once you are inside its huge, going right to the back area and so much character. My little dog mitzee who has a nervous disposition in strange houses has not stopped wagging her tail, which tells me the vibes are good,had a lovely nights sleep and breakfast perfect, not undercooked and not overcooked but just right! I will write a review when I leave on Wednesday and am struggling to find anything negative at moment, even locality is great, walking distance from metro and all downhill, especially if, like me, you have heavy luggage, beach at bottom of road and if you bring your dog, there is a bit of wasteland at bottom of road, on the right for their toilets, best to use loo paper to pick up so you can flush, no doggy bins near by. Ideal for families too, they cater for all categories and nothing is too much for them, I have stayed in plenty of hotels and I must say this one will take some beating.

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Brighton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

Sadly I had a horrible stay here. The bed was lumpy with springs coming through, had to use the quilt to lye on, but was still really uncomfy. It was freezing , I asked for the heating to be put on , I was told it only came on at night. The walls are really paper thin, I was woken very early 5am, by lots of noise, when I mentioned it to the owner, she was nasty and confrontational, told me I was the one with the problem. then she went for a cigarette in the kitchen to calm herself down. I couldnt wait to get out of there. Also worth remembering that you have to fit your arrival times around her school run. Very satisfactory for long term contractors, but if on holiday, I advise stay somewhere else for a more nicer experience and less expense.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Chedburgh Hotel? Share your experiences!