“Should have gone there sooner!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
“Should have gone there sooner!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

We live on the Island and have been meaning for some time to visit MacFarlanes but just never made it. However, on Friday night we were very hungry, it was late, and we were stuck for somewhere to find food. Their stated "last orders" time is 9.30pm, but some time after 10pm we were welcomed with a smile, seated, and enjoyed some of the best food to be had in Douglas and/or on the island. Our starters were crab cakes/scallops and cheese souffle. Both arrived hot, fresh and delicious. Mains were fish pie (which we were told is a best seller there) and duck. Again, both hot, fresh and delicious. Need I say more? We didn't sample the desserts but they looked good and we will certainly get at them next time! My husband couldn't resist the cheese plate and that was interesting and beautifully presented with fat juicy grapes, celery sticks and biscuits.This is a talented chef who delivers on taste - and doesn't hide away in the kitchen, it is open to view although not intrusive. Some seating is in booths with high sides and back for privacy which I think could take up to 5/6 people, and there are a few tables against the opposite wall. Small but nicely set out and furnished. Staff efficient and friendly. An all-round great experience and we will definitely be going back but will remember to book next time :) Our bill came to just under £100 but a third of that was drink - we'd had a hard day and needed plenty of wine!!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

hastings
“Very intimate and friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

It is based at North Quay, small but a nice place. Extensive menu and good wine list.
I had the fish pie which was tasty and plenty of it. Popular with local people which is always a good sign.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
rotherham
“loved it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

The boss lady is originally from Rotherham and she likes to talk !
Food awsome. We had a lovely private booth and they couldn't have been any nicer. Portions are quite small but beautifully cooked and presented. I had lamb cannon, my wife had . For dessert I had the ice cream and you can choose any 3 from the range. I had the baileys, blackcurrant and liquorice and the whisky and tablet - bloody gorgeous. My wife had the luxury fish pie, which was crammed with all kinds of fish and the creamiest potato and to finish she had chocolate cheesecake, which she also said was beautiful. I didn't try because cheese in cake, to me, is wrong - sorry. Go Go Go keep these lovely restaurants going we need them. A fabulous experience. The boss also helped us get a great taxi round around the course for a great price. The driver was a rally driver in his spare time and raced Minis in the Manx rally. It was brilliant fun, bikes were having to move out of the way. Tyres screeching round the mountain - we really were tramming it. Best fun I had ever had in a Skoda. Al thanks to the lovely lady who owns the restaurant.

Visited June 2013
Douglas, United Kingdom
“Best Restaurant in the Isle of Man”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

My Wife and I have eaten at MacFarlane's most Saturday evenings for the last year and many times before that, we have always been delighted both with the service and in particular the great food made with high class local produce. It has never occurred to me to write a review simply because it is so consistently good, however having read a recent review, in the interests of balance it seemed based on my knowledge having eaten at MacFarlane's so often people should be informed just how good it is.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Tobermory, United Kingdom
“Another Great Meal!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Have eaten in MacFarlane's on 4 occasions and this time was just as good as the previous ones. Managed to book the last table for four on Saturday May 18th.As "fishy" people the Menu from the Specials Board is always different and we all very much enjoyed our Fish starters and Main course followed by a superb sweet. The service is very friendly and professional as well. Have eaten in many restaurants in The Isle of Man but MacFarlane's is by far our Favourite. Will be back again next year for sure.

• Visited May 2013