“OVER PRICED” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Douglas
“OVER PRICED”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

Mischarged constantly (almost every round) staff moody - at times unpleasant. venue too hot.
the only redeeming factor was the staff member who was serving food and took the trouble to ensure I had a plate of suitable buffet. toilets dirty. music was either too loud or inaudible.
didn't appreciate people smoking on the stairs immediately outside the door

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Basingstoke, England, United Kingdom
“Not to our liking”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Food very salty and restaurant difficult to get into as one of the party has trouble walking and climbing stairs

Visited September 2013
“Great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

From the picture & some of the reviews I can notice that some people are mixing up the restaurant upstairs which currently holds 2 AA rosettes with the bar & grill in the basement.
Front of house staff seemes to have changed from our last vist but the chef is still the same one.

We had Manx king scallops & the shellfish risotto to start which were great, and both of us had the local wild turbot with chorizo butter for our main course, as usuall the fish did not fail to impress! I had the lemon curd while my other half had the chocolate fondant both nicely presented.
Prices seem to have gone down slightly from our last visit.
Keep up the good work & amazing fish ;)

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Isle of Man
“Great food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

This was the first time we had tried the main restaurant after previously only being in the bar downstairs. I was concerned by some of the reviews but a friend had recommened it and so we thought we would give it a go. There was 8 in the party and most had different starters and main courses and all were very happy with both the quality and the price. There is a very good menu with some additional specials. Judging by some of the reviews I can only assume some people are mixing up the restaurant with the bar food downstairs.
The service was excellent and all dishes could be fully decribed when more information was needed.
I will definitely return and recommend to others

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Croydon, United Kingdom
“A 'Jar'ring Experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

I'm slightly confused while writing this review because of what the majority of people have said but not bowing to the consensus, here are my thoughts on this restaurant...

We arrived early in the evening and were seated on a roomy table in an airy restaurant, so far so good. We had a sense of this being quite an upmarket establishment and, after having a cursory glance at the menu, our thoughts were confirmed by the high prices of the food and drink.

Not put off by this we ordered our starters and waited with a cool refreshing beer for our food to arrive. I won't to bore you with details but the price did not match the quantity or quality of the starters but we shrugged this off and hoped that the main course would rectify this disappointment. Sadly we were let down once more. Fortunately I had only paid £8.95 for my tiny, dry lasagne, my friends on the other hand ordered the pork belly at £10.95, which worked out at £5.47 per mouthful (you do the maths).

The service did perk up our spirits somewhat as the staff were very friendly and we got our food promptly, also the long island ice tea I had was very good indeed and helped me to drown my sorrows about the meal!

It upsets me to write such a negative review about Jar and I hope, reading the other reviews, this was just a one off bad experience but I thought I would post this review just to give some contrasting opinions.

• Visited June 2013