“Had high expectations but was sadly let down” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: French
Good for: Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Douglas, United Kingdom
“Had high expectations but was sadly let down”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Myself and my work colleagues chose this restaurant for our annual christmas lunch, I was extremely excited as the last time I went the food was exquisite, the hosts were friendly and accomodating and the atmosphere was that of a beautiful french restaurant- this was apparently before the restaurant changed owners.
We ordered off the lunch menu, which consisted of various standard french dishes such as french onion soup, omlettes, croque monsier etc. I decided to go for the simple cheese omlette, the food arrived but they had got my order mixed up and had served me a ham and cheese omlette. The matrodee did not even suggest changing it for me, but tried to make me have it, so politely I accepted. I ate into the omlette and with my first bite an eight inch HAIR was mixed into my omlette- not something I would have expected from a restaurant of such a high reputation.
Overall I would say that the experience was average, as the waiter was particularly grumpy and overall not pleasant but the food my colleagues had said that their meals were nice, I would suggest the croque monsieurs as they looked incredible!

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Isle of Man, United Kingdom
“The old and the new”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Recently visited this well-established restaurant with an elderly friend. The waiter was kind and considerate to us, suggesting small portions of each course and recommending a very nice bottle of wine. Food was very good indeed and it was nice to see the previous owners enjoying a meal there too. Would not hesitate to recommend this restaurant and we will certainly return.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Naples, Florida
“Improving Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I think that this restaurant has gone more upmarket since the Quirks left and the food is excellent. The prices have also gone up as well!

Whether the dated bistro decor is a plus or minus depends on your own mood, personally I think it could be updated without losing it's charm.

The young couple who run it deserve every encouragement and support.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Port St. Mary, United Kingdom
“Just the ticket”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

My wife and I were out and about in douglas and made our way up the prom to this restaurant for lunch. Had heard a few good things about it and it sure did live up to its billing. The food is out of this world as is the wine. Service was great, it looks family run. It cost a few pounds but was well worth it. We will be back.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
DOUGLAS
“Nice little place in Douglas”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Food lovely, service with a smile, and spinach to die for!!!! Top place for wine but what else would you expect from a french restaurant...

Visited October 2012