“FOOD AT H.Q. TERRIFIC” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 36 Douglas B&B and Inns
Norwich, United Kingdom
“FOOD AT H.Q. TERRIFIC”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We were told the evening before our departure that the hotel had changed hands therefore breakfast was elsewhere which was a bit disconcerting, but once we met Angela any misgivings were dispelled. She and her staff could not have been more helpful and welcoming. The breakfasts are magnificent - in fact because the food all round was so good we found no incentive to take our evening meals elsewhere. The only downside was the weather - the heated towel rail in the bathroom came in very useful!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Devonport, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

There was slight feeling of lack of attention because this B&B has been taken over by the Meerside (2 doors down) where you check in and all the meals are served. The breakfast which was included was really outstanding with delicious choices. Also, the staff at the Meerside were friendly and helpful - especially Matt.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Barnsley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

Just returned today and had a great time. The room my husband and I had was lovely with a nice en suite, all spotless. The communal areas could do with a bit of an update.However the hotel had recently changed hands ( our tour operator never told us about this.) It meant that all meals were taken in a sister hotels dining area which was 2 doors down. The meals were good and staff lovely.
I just felt that as owner or staff were never present at the Rosslyn it lacked a personal touch which was mentioned in earlier reviews . The other downside is parking, it is a nightmare but that is the case all over Douglas. . All in all we would go back.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

I stayed here for just over a week last year and had a brilliant, very enjoyable week. Sandy and Andy are extremely lovely and go out of their way to make sure you have a very pleasant stay and were very welcoming. The rooms are sparkling and attended to each day and the bathrooms are spotless. I stayed in a double that was a fantastic size. The food is excellent with a huge selection of breakfast food and drink and the owners were very attentive.

I have recommended this lovely, family- run hotel to all friends and family and will definately be back.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Egremont, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

Sandy, you and your staff were terrific. Dinner and breakfast were excellent. Myself, my son and my brother were well impressed with the service, value and accommodations.
The room was a bit cramped for three fellows with all their motorcycle gear but I had asked if three could be accommodated in a double room which was immediately agreed over the 'phone.
My son had to depart two nights early( he had been called back to work) and it was appreciated that he was only charged for 5 nights against his 7 night booking.
This was the first visit to the Island for my son and brother and they were so pleased with the welcome given. I've been coming to the Island for years, staying with friends or in more expensive hotels and I was well pleased.
So thank you, Sandy, for a great Manx GP week. I'm sorry that this review is somewhat belated.I hope that I might stay again in the future

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Ireland, West Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2011

My mother had booked this b and b as she had stayed once previously this year, however this was a BIG mistake!!.
Under tragic circumstances her brother, my uncle, was taken into hospital in a coma so she ended up staying with a friend and not in this B&B. As a result another family member stayed in this B&B as this was already paid for. This was the first experience of terrible service as it was stated that they were not advised of the change and it was very confusing. Forgive me but the room is based on 2 PEOPLE SHARING so the fact that one name was not mentioned is not very confusing at all and also, my mother went to this B&B with the family member and explained the change.

There is one other disgrace. Unfortunately, my uncle passed away and therefore the family member was so stricken with grief that she wanted to leave the Island as soon as possible. As I had paid for another 3 days/2 nights, I thought I would ring to see if there was any chance I could obtain some sort of refund considering the circumstances. However, I was greeted with an utter bark over the phone with no empathy/politeness/professionalism whatsoever stating in no uncertain terms that there would be no refund as they are trying to run a business which is fair enough but a simple no would have sufficed. On top of this, the family member was unable to get a flight home as they were all booked so ended up having to stay in this godforsaken B&B. She knew nothing until the hotelier, if you could even call her that, burst into her room and shouted 'WHAT SCAM ARE YOU RUNNING'! The family member had no idea what she was talking about, but I assume they thought that I tried to obtain a refund while the family member still remained in the room. She had tears in her eyes and tried to explain regarding the misunderstanding while being humiliated in a dog-like way. All that was required, was some clarification as to the room occupancy etc.

They had no sympathy, understanding or any sort of moral compass to be able to accost someone like this in their room while trying to come to terms with a death of a close family member that same day

This place was utterly shameful and is below the standards expected in this particular profession and should be mortified to charge people to stay here.

NEVER STAY HERE UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE TREATED LIKE AN UNEDUCATED, IGNORANT FOOL!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011

We booked this hotel which is a block away from the beach. We were due to arrive in Douglas during the hurricane but the ferry was cancelled, We immediately rang the hotel(mid afternoon) to tell them we had to stay on the mainland as we had no means of getting there. When we arrived in Douglas the next day the hotel was nowhere near the location on Google maps. We eventually found it and have no complaints about the room and food. When we came to pay the bill we were told we had to pay for the night we were not there as "it wasn't my fault the ferry was cancelled and I couldn't let the room". It wasn't as though the hotel was full. We felt we should have to pay for the room but an allowance should have been made against the breakfast they did not have to cook for us. Up to this point we would have recommended the hotel but we would now warn people to be aware of this if the ferries are cancelled. We lost out as we had to find accomdation in Morecambe. At least the trains and ferries were more accomodating.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Rosslyn Hotel? Share your experiences!