“Seafood in Douglas” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
“Seafood in Douglas”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Pre-booking recommended. Small and friendly; appeared very popular with local residents. Interesting selection of starters and a good range of seafood, both on the menu and the "Specials" boards. ("Whole turbot" for £24 sounded a real bargain but I would have needed a larger table). Wine list had a good range of styles and prices. In my short stay on the Isle of Man, this was the only restaurant I enjoyed.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Preston, England, United Kingdom
“An ok seafood restaurant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

In comparison to another seafood restaurant on the quay the food at Tanroagan wasn't in our opinion as good. The mussels and the salmon scotch egg were good, however the T bone steak with the cafe de Paris butter was very oily, and I had to scrape the butter from the meat as the flavours just weren't right which spoilt what should have been a great main meal. However the service was very good, maybe a little rushed but it was busy in the restaurant.The wine and atmosphere was lovely.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
St Helens, United Kingdom
“Good food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

We were having a long weekend in Douglas and my son booked us into here as a surprise. Very small restaurant but beautifully cooked and presented food. I jane queenside fritters for starter which were amazing. Lobster for main which was nice. The lobster was £36.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Blythburgh, United Kingdom
“Terrific Seafood”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

I was prompted to visit Tanrogan on the strength of the reviews seen on Tripadvisor - and I am very glad I did. The staff were friendly, and although the restaurant is compact, I didn't feel at all encroached on by the other tables. Although the choices looked tempting, we declined starters (having caught a glimpse of the desserts on offer). We did, however, take advantage of the home made bread rolls, which were warm and delicious. I chose hake with asparagus and bacon risotto, whilst the OH had his perennial favourite - turbot, here served with a generous portion of melt in the mouth Manx queenies and some moreish hand cut chips. The hake was soft and tasty, with the risotto a perfect accompaniment. The queenies and the chips I can also pronounce to be excellent (but there's no way the OH would let me have a look in on the turbot, so we'll have to take his word for it that it was gorgeous!). Unlike so many establishments these days, puddings were all home made - right down to the accompanying ice creams. I chose a 'shipwreck tart', which was a warm slice of fudgy, nutty heaven with the best sweet pastry I've had in some time. It's usually served with vanilla ice cream, but after hearing the staff discussing the new ice-cream flavour (chocolate orange), I asked if I could have that instead. It was wonderful. The OH had a chocolate fondant - so often the undoing of Masterchef types - it was spot on, with a melting middle.
Whilst not cheap (our choices plus a nice bottle of wine came to £80), I do feel like we got value for money. With the open kitchen in the corner, it was almost like dinnner and a show! I have no hesitation in recommending this venue to seafood lovers everywhere.

Visited July 2013
Norway
“Disappointingly "bloody" lemon sole!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We had booked a table for two on 12th July, received a friendly welcome and it was nice of the staff to congratulate me on my birthday.
The small bread rolls which were offered were not warm and were rather heavy.
The lobster was satisfactory but a little on the dry side.
My lemon sole was served whole with some small potatoes which rolled around on the plate as it was unceremoniously plonked in front of me.

We waited a while before asking there would be some vegetables. A small dish was served containing a mixture of greens, unattractively presented.

The lemon sole had a most unappetising stripe of red blood along the bone.

We decided that we would not complain as the staff were extremely busy and we had already requested about the vegetables. We thought that we would wait to see if a member of staff would come over to ask if all was ok - as this is quite usual in restaurants. Nobody asked.

The girl who cleared the plates away did not react at all that the lemon sole was almost untouched.

The desserts tasted good, were attractively presented and the Chablis was fine.

The bill for the lobster, lemon sole dishes, desserts and a bottle of wine came to 103 pounds, This would have been considered reasonable if the food had been tasty and well presented and if the service had been satisfactory.

Nevertheless, thanks to Tanroagan for a most memorable birthday happening. We left quite quickly as we got a fit of the giggles and couldn't stop:
Staff appeared with a cake lit with candles and sang "Happy birthday to You" and then walked slowly past me - to another guest who also had a birthday!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere