“A gem” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 46 Restaurants in Ventnor
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Special occasions, Dining on a budget
Description: Really authentic Spanish restaurant striving to give excellent value for money. Constantly changing specials board, genuine interest in cooking tasty, healthy and historical Spanish food. Informal dining in the tiny street level bar or atmospheric dinners in the "dungeon". Fair trade coffee, chocolate and tea. Excellent value Spanish wines, beers and cider.
Southampton, United Kingdom
“A gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

We have lived in ventnor for 9 months and not been here as we have young kids and always end up in places that suit their tastes. I was invited to a leaving party and I loved everything . The food was delicious , we had a fab waitress and the decor was quirky and warm. I cannot wait to go back .

• Visited March 2014

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“authentic spanish tapas”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

Had dinner last night & had a lovely evening. Live music from a good guitar player added to the evening

Quirky setting as main restaurant seating is in the basement but really well done & decor adds well to the Spanish theme

Food is excellent we particularly enjoyed fresh baby squid & prawns. The slow cooked beef was amazing. We sampled a good range of tapas selection & all was delicious

Lorraine & her team are to be congratulated on a great venue really good service & excellent food. Thanks

• Visited March 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Great Tapas Restaurant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

We were really pleased that most other restaurants were closed last Monday otherwise we may have missed sampling the tapas delights of El Toro Contento! Highly recommend the Peppers stuffed with Hake and Crab and Peppers stuffed with Lamb, delicious!

Visited March 2014
Ventnor, United Kingdom
“Always have an amazing time there”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

The food is really lovely, the staff are friendly & attentive. We go regularly, best place for tapas on the Isle of Wight

• Visited February 2014
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
“Scrapings of the barrel!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

Had been looking forward to this birthday celebration meal with a group of 15 friends. Most of us pre-ordered seafood paella. The lovely dishes were served from the top of the table. I was the last to be served & they'd obviously miscalculated & run out of the paella. Everyone had their paellas served in a special paella dish. Mine was served thinly spread on a plate, had half the amount of paella on it, had one unshelled prawn, one shelled prawn & 3 mussels. The rest was just rice, there was no other fish in it. The plate was cold & the food luke warm. My friends dishes were packed full of fish & they were left full and satisfied. I'd had a child's portion & was left hungry & unsatisfied. Another friend who was next to last to be served, was also given a diminished amount but still more than me. I had a quiet word with the very nice waitress. She said she was really sorry & she'd let the chef know. She didn't come back to me with any reply. I'm not impressed with this. I guess they're not good at catering for groups & it would probably have been ok if they were serving a table of 4-6. We went on a Monday evening & sat downstairs & I didn't see any customers upstairs when I arrived so it wasn't busy other than our group.

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
torocontento, Owner at El Toro Contento, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Sue, please accept my apologies for what happened. I understand from my daughter that the lady who organised your booking was told on two occasions that the paella would be served in the pan. We are a Spanish restaurant, with Spanish chefs. We have been serving paellas now for over 7 years, in the pan it is cooked in, to hundreds of happy customers, just as it is served in Spain. Your request at the table for the paella to be "plated up" in our tiny kitchen was unusual and the chef, with no experience of this, made a mistake calculating the amount on each plate, so that your friends received a little extra and the last plate was not a full portion. I am truly sorry you were not offered a refund at the time, and if you could email or telephone me, I will arrange one. Lorraine