“Excellent service and food” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #27 of 64 Restaurants in Shanklin
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: We serve meals all day from 10.30am 'til late, which include snacks and light bites such as paninis, baguettes, jacket potatoes and breakfasts to full meals, inlcuding locally sourced Isle of Wight steaks and fresh fish. Families are welcome and we have a selection of childen's meals.We pride ourselves on providing good service and freshly prepared food in a relaxed, friendly environment. Reservations welcome
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Excellent service and food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I went to Stars for an evening meal and both opted to have the BBQ chicken stack. It was delicious, and we were told it was the chefs own recipe. Fantastic service and lovely atmosphere. Thoroughly recommend this restaurant to all visitors to the Isle of Wight.

Visited October 2013

London
“Cafe food at restaurant prices!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

We visited at 7.45 one evening, the restaurant was empty we were served by a lovely waitress and drinks were brought promptly and our orders taken. My husband had pork chops which were very nice and I had the beer battered fish, this was not hand battered and I suspect frozen which was a little disappointing however it was quite nice. This restaurant closes around 8.30!

Visited October 2013
Vikki F, Owner at Stars, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Thank you for your review. Firstly I would like to thank you for your kind comments about your waitress and good service. At Stars we serve a full evening menu every day from 5pm and sandwiches and snacks during the day. The meal your husband had was a combo of BBQ ribs and fresh chicken breast marinated in cajun spices and your beer battered cod indeed is bought in, but it is of very good quality and definitely not cafe food. When I asked you if everything was to your satisfaction, you said it was lovely and ate everything. Your comment about closing at 8.30 is in fact inaccurate - we take the last orders in the low season at 8.30, we close when the last customers have gone. Also, when you visited it was a Tuesday evening in October and yes it is quiet. Thanks again for your review.
essex
“NO STAR RATING FOR THE STARS FROM US SORRY :(”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

We travelled to Shanklin from Essex and went into the star for dinner all dressed up as the reviews were good so thought we cant go wrong.
Unfortunitly was served by a lady that seem uninterested we ordered what we believed to be home made food to find the chips were frozen type an excuse of a salad on the side.
My husband had fish again the frozen type shaped triangular I had chicken bacon and barbi sauce ready made and just warmed up too much sauce but to hide the dry chicken YUK.
The best bit was when the meals were brought to the table i had to wait another 5-7 min for my chips because the cook as he told me when he brought them out to me he didnt have his counting head on thought it was a joke really stupid thing to do.
We were both very dissapointed with the restaurant I think it should stick to the day cafe fast food as this is what we were served on a what was going to be a very special evening for us that took forever.
We should have turned it away really when it was served up but after travelling all day and waiting ages we thought give it a go without my chips but never again.
If you like being served fast food at an expensive rate mostly frozen or precooked then you will like this but if you trully like good food then forget it dont waste your money.
Stars your uninterest in your customers on the evening we came showed out to everyone we even saw couples walk out after being seated. You need some happy staff on hand when you get tired by your evening shift, customers expect more from the prices you charge for an evening meal that all should be treated as special.
very dissapointed M&M

• Visited September 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Vikki F, Owner at Stars, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Thank you for your review and I am very sorry you were disappointed in your meal at Stars. I would like to respond to some of the points you make in your review.
1. I served you on the evening in question. As the owner of the business I am never disinterested in my customers. I seated you, brought you menus, took your drinks order, explained about the specials on offer that day and then returned to take your order. At no point did I seem disinterested in your custom and I actually find it very offensive that you have made such comments.
2. The food you ordered was NOT fast food. Nowhere on the menu does it state that the cod is fresh. We sell lots of it week in week out with most of our customers being completely satisfied with it.
3. The chicken dish - Barbeque Chicken Stack - is not ready made, it is actually made from scratch. The chicken was fresh that day and the sauce is made from scratch by our chef. This is probably our most popular dish. The salad served with the meals is a side salad, not a full salad. Our salads are ALWAYS fresh.
4. I do apologise you had to wait for your chips, but it was a slight oversight. The chef had underestimated the amount needed so cooked extra, which took less than 3 minutes. When they were brought to you, a joke was made, obviously you did not find it funny.
5. At Stars we keep our prices as low as we can. I think you will find that most, if not all the other restaurants in Shanklin are more expensive.
6. We do not serve fast food. The majority of the food we serve is fresh and all dishes are prepared when ordered which is why you have to wait.
7. Our policy is always of excellent customer service and we are never uninterested in our customers.
8. I did ask you if everything was ok with your meals and you said yes, at no point did you point out to me that you were not satisfied. When you paid I asked you if everything had been to your satisfaction and again you said yes. If you had pointed out the problems, I would have done everything I could to resolve the situation.
I think it is totally unacceptable that you have written such comments. It is obvious that you did not enjoy your experience at Stars, but you did eat ALL your food. If it had been as bad as you described you would not have eaten it.
Kidderminster, United Kingdom
“good lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We had lunch hear the sandwich was fresh and the salad very fresh nice wine and freindly staff we would have tried evening meal as looked very nice but it was our last day and weather was not to good to walk to old village

Visited September 2013
Sturminster Newton, United Kingdom
“Good Viewpoint”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

A great place to sit, have a drink & watch the world go by... We went twice during our recent stay on IOW & couldn't fault the service or the drinks!!

Visited August 2013
Vikki F, Owner at Stars, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Thank you for your lovely review of Stars. We are always pleased you enjoyed your visits. Thanks again.