“Excellent place to stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ryedale Private Hotel
and 1 more site!
You added Ryedale Private Hotel to your Saves list
Ryedale Private Hotel
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   3 Atherley Road, Shanklin PO37 7AT, England   |
Ranked #15 of 52 Shanklin B&B and Inns
tunbridge wells
“Excellent place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

This was the best B&B we have stayed at and was absolutely faultless. Our en suite was spotlessly clean throughout our stay with plenty of clean towels regularly changed, everything we could have required was in our room, warm when we needed extra heating in cold weather and comfortable beds. Our hosts were welcoming and friendly, gave good advice on where to stay or where to eat and, unusually, provided facilities for us to bring back take away food in the evening if we wished. Waking to the smell of perfectly cooked bacon every morning was a special pleasure, and breakfast was excellent. In so many places we have been faced with a cooked breakfast which is either burnt or too greasy but not here, it was super. The premises were in a quiet area, just a few minutes walk from the railway station and bus stops, and an easy stroll to either the town centre shops or the seafront. We will certainly visit again and have already recommended it to friends. Pamela and John. Kent

Room Tip: My understanding from other guests is that all the rooms were great. Our twin en suite certainly wa...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Bristol
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

First of all I must say I stay in a lot of B&B`s all over the country and without doubt this is up there with the best!!
You could not fault the service,the food and the cleanliness of the Ryedale, I would recommend to anyone, me my wife and the inlaws were very impressed throughout the stay.
These people work increadably hard to maintain an excellent buisness here and it shines through, I will be staying again very soon!!

Steve & Kaye Bristol.

Room Tip: Choose the Ryedale in Shanklin, the rooms are quiet and very comfortable.
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

Thank you John and Haley for a warm welcome on our first visit to the Isle of Wight. We found the Ryedale a very pleasant little bed and breakfast hotel with added extras.Our room and en-suite was spotless and cleaned every day Tea,Coffeeand Hot Chocolate supplies renewed daily -greatly appreciated. Breakfast was a treat (ordered previous night) was delivered perfectly cooked.Selection of fruit juice and cereal with as much tea/coffee and toast as required.Set us up for the day and helped face the stormy weather.Then when the evening got cold our hosts turned on the heating.How considerate was that?Got to mention the junior waiter,Daniel his smile lit up every morning.We thoroughly enjoyed our 5 day stay Well done every one.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Croydon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

We have just returned from a four day break from this lovely guest house. I was astonished to read the last two reviews on this place as we found that the couple that run this place were faultless. There is nothing that could be faulted at this guest house it was exactly as was stated in their advertisement. They don't state fruit and yogurt at breakfast so why anybody would expect that is beyond me. The cooked breakfast was as we ordered nothing less nothing more unless you want extra toast which was there on demand, I'm a larger man who does eat well and I was always full on leaving the table. There were a good choice of cereal the kids had something different every day and I am sure if there was something else they wanted the hosts would have provided for us as they were very caring about their guests. The guest house was immaculate in clean and tidy there were 6 towels in our room of which we found hard to use all of them. We had tea and coffee in the room the hair dryer must have been stolen by someone before us but when we told the owners there was one there within half hour now that tells you a lot. The owners also were very keen in telling guests of places to visit they even passed on a pair of bus's passes to a couple that other guests had left. They pointed us in the direction of great restaurants and pubs and we could use their dinning room for our take away. Overall I would recommend this place to anyone. I wouldn't take much notice of the bad press where breakfast is concerned as we didnt want for anything. Well done to John, Haley and the master help Daniel

London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

I very rarely write reviews for places I visit or stay, but this was our third stay at The Ryedale and as we had such a fantastic stay, I feel compelled to write one! We stayed for 5 nights on this occasion and had a lovely time. John and Haley (the hosts!) were once again so accomodating, so much so that The Ryedale almost feels like our holiday home!! We were greated on our arrival with such a warm welcome. Our daughter (almost 4 years old) felt at home immediately and my parents (first time at The Ryedale) commented on how friendly the hosts were. Throughout our stay, we used The Rydale mainly for breakfast and to sleep, but on our last two days, the weather was awful, so we used the dining room for one of our evenings. This is such a lovely touch...use of dining room. You are welcome to use the dining room to relax, play board games and even eat take aways (your plates and cutlery are provided and even washed after use by the hosts - they certainly do not have to provide this service)
Each morning, breakfast was served efficiently and in a friendly manner. (the son of the hosts even brought our daughter her breakfast...one of her highlights from the entire holiday!!) While waiting for your cooked Full-English breakfast, you can help yourself to a range of cereals and tea and coffee. You are also served with toast (white AND brown) and a selection of jams. The toast is always topped up if you want more...once again...a nice touch. The cooked breakfast option is cooked to perfection, with a good choice of foods...always fresh.
We stayed in the family triple room and my parents stayed in a twin room. Both of our rooms were cleaned immaculately on a daily basis - this is something that we have always noticed...always impeccably clean! In the rooms, there are all the facilities you would expect. Tea and coffee, TV, hairdryer etc (and if you need anything, John or Hayley find it fast!) The beds are really comfortable.
On checking out, John and Hayley assisted us and took time to say goodbye and even gave our daughter a little present! (and this was while trying to clean up breakfast...once again...a nice personal touch)
Myself, my wife and daughter (and my parents) had such a lovely stay and we will certainly be coming back. We all would recommend a stay at The Ryedale...you will not be dissappointed.
Thank you John and Hayley for making us all feel welcome...a stay at The Ryedale always add to the enjoyment of our holidays on the island!
POSITIVES:
excellent breakfast
impeccably clean
friendly hosts and atmosphere
NEGATIVES:
As John and Hayley were so helpful throughout our stay, we thought they would be able to stop the rain as well...ah well...you can't have everything!!

As a side note, while writing this review, I noticed a couple of somewhat poor reviews from guests who stayed at The Ryedale while we were there. Ofcourse, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I do need to question one thing. During the review entitled "shame about the breakfast," it is quoted: "...screeching children were audible late into the night..." Now, our daughter was the only child staying during this period and we are always extremely cautious of the noise she makes and feel conscientious towards other guests without children. Our child was impeccably behaved and this was even commented on by other guests. I am somewhat confused by this complaint, especially that if our child was indeed screeching into the early hours (she was asleep by 10 o'clock on each evening!?), surely a complaint would have been made at the time. As a family, we pride ourselves on being considerate towards others so I take this comment personally. If you wrote the review in question, and would be more than happy to discuss this further. My email is: jonathan.cursley@gmail.com

(I would like to state that we have no affiliation with The Ryedale or are connected in any way to the hosts. We are just extremely satisfied guests, appreciating and outstanding service)

Many thanks

Jonathan Cursley

Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

Good points : very handy for the railway station; clean and comfortable room; helpful and friendly hosts; very competent and professional young breakfast waiter; flannels provided (a small but welcome point); lots of useful and well-organised travel and tourist information; books and a convenient fridge provided in dining room for guests' use.

Not so good : paper-thin walls, so that other guests' TVs and screeching children were audible late into the night; only one towel provided per person; very indadequate breakfast : meagre portions, dismal cereals and juice, cheap preserves, undrinkable coffee, tea made yourself with non-boiling water from a flask, supermarket sliced bread (mostly white) for toast, tasteless tomatoes and mushrooms, overcooked poached eggs, rubbery scrambled eggs, no yoghurt, no nice bread or rolls, no fruit of any description (we had to buy our own fruit in order to stave off scurvy during our stay !).

I have to go back a decade or more in my memory to call up a B&B breakfast as disappointing as this one : I thought B&B breakfasts had come on a bit in recent years. I like to look forward to my breakfast on holiday, but by Day 3 I was regarding it as little more than a refuelling excercise.

It seems a shame that the food doesn't match up to the rest of this otherwise very pleasant B&B.

Room Tip: Try to avoid the front bedrooms : you will be disturbed by late-night loutishness in the street.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
nottingham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

John and Hayley were friendly and helpful and the location right near the railway station was ideal for us.
The room was very clean and spacious and had a small but decent shower room, somewhat lacking in nice touches; we were staying 3 nights and only had one towel each, the toiletries were there at the beginning but not replaced, there was no hair drier. However it did have the standard coffee/tea making facilities, TV, etc.
There was a fridge to use in the breakfast room if you wanted to keep any food items fresh and if you wanted a takeaway there were plates and cutlery available to use.
Breakfast was a disappointment. I'm really not a fan of pre-ordering, it might be good for the owners but it's not great for the visitors; I don't always know what I want to eat in the morning before I go to sleep! There was a choice of Full English ingredients to select and alternative lighter bites like scrambled egg on toast and then a "no cooked breakfast" option at the bottom.
In the morning, there was a choice of 4 fairly sad cereals, no fruit, no yoghurt, no rolls, no croissant or other pastries. The toast provided was bog standard and the marmalade and jam poor quality. Tea and coffee to help yourself from those large flasks to keep it hot and poor quality juices. The cooked breakfast wasn't even excellent. I wonder what you would have if you chose the "no cooked" option!
Shame about the breakfast because otherwise it was fine!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Ryedale Private Hotel? Share your experiences!