“First class stay!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 52 Shanklin B&B and Inns
Hassocks, United Kingdom
“First class stay!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2014

This was the second time we have stayed at the Miclaran. Sue and Alan are fantastic hosts, very friendly and helpful. The cooked breakfast is excellent. Location is very peaceful, yet within easy access of Shanklin old village (recommend The Crab for great, good value meals). Hope to stay again upon next visit.

Room Tip: Definitely recommend sea view rooms - facing East so you get a great sunrise view on a good day.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Maldon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2014

We have recently returned from a stay at the miclaren for my sisters 60th birthday .The proprietors Alan and Sue were very friendly ,welcoming and helpful . The guesthouse is very clean and lovely sea views from our rooms ,good cooked breakfast and plenty of top ups of tea ,coffee and toast,its exactly what we wanted from our stay on the island ,we had a great time !!!! Would recommend with confidence !

Room Tip: All rooms have sea views
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2014

This was our second stay at the Miclaran, and once again we had a wonderful time. Sue and Alan are great hosts, and are always friendly, and helpful. The rooms are spotlessly clean, and we had a fantastic sea view. Excellent well cooked breakfasts, with a nice selection fruits and yogurt too. It was handy to be able to use the Wi-fi , and it worked fine for us. We will definitely be booking again!

East Anglia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2014

If you want your holiday guest house to be spotlessly clean a hearty well cooked breakfast good parking and friendly proprietors beautiful sea views hot water in shower Fluffy towels then you have found it here.

Sue I, Owner at The Miclaran, responded to this review, September 12, 2014
Thank you!
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

Stayed with Sue and Alan for first time for 6 nights for the IOW scooter rally. Nothing was too much trouble. It was clean, excellent breakfasts with good choice and they even found a safe place to store my valuable 60's Vespa.Will def be going back and would recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: Nice seaview rooms ask when booking
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

Once again we experienced warm hospitality from Alan & Sue, breakfasts are very good with a varied selection of cereals, fresh fruits and yogurts as well as cooked.

The Miclaran is in a lovely spot and it was lovely to come back after a day out and about to sit in the beautiful garden before getting ready to go out for our evening meal.

There are plenty of good places to eat in Shanklin Village, Pendletons being one of our favourites.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

My friend and I stayed for 4 nights, room was clean, although quite small. Wifi availability was terrible, and unable to connect most of the time.
We asked for an earlier breakfast the morning we were leaving due to an early ferry, I was shocked when told by Sue "oh no that would put us out, we have to do this every day".
I then discovered, when I arrived home, that I had managed to leave a pair of trousers and a top behind. Oh my goodness me, I was even more taken aback to the response from them when I politely requested them to post the items to me, and I would reimburse them for the postage. " no, you will need to get a courier to collect it" I did try that and in fact paid for that to happen, but the company failed to collect the parcel. I tried again and asked if they could possibly post it for me, it took three days for them to reply....." I have found the time to post this, please send £5 to cover post and packaging. It has arrived today, the postage was £2.80' so a white envelope and brown tape cost me £2.20! Having worked in the Hospitality Industry as amongst other things a Hotel Manager, I was astounded at the lack of customer care, after all nobody leaves something behind on purpose! I now teach for a living, Hospitality students, customer care!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Sue I, Owner at The Miclaran, responded to this review, August 24, 2014
Oh dear Valerie I have not come up to my usual high standard on this occasion.

We serve breakfast from 8.30am, your friend Ann was offered a cooked breakfast 15 minutes before this time and a continental breakfast if earlier, I had no reply. You both came down at our normal breakfast time of 8.30am and declined the hot option.

Yes I agree the WiFi has been rubbish! The broadband is provide by BT and the router had stopped issuing IP addresses; we had already identified there was a problem and arranged for our IT guy to come and take a look. Our guests were notified and a notice was pinned to our office door. Needless to say the router has been replaced; but WiFi coverage in such a quirky building is always going to be a challenge and there is no charge.

Our terms and condditions are on our website and on our booking partner site. Our payment policy is to take a non refundable deposit at the time of booking which is equalivalent to the first night's stay and the balance is payable on arrival: this is reiterated on my confirmation email to guests.
Your friend Ann booked your stay and on booking entered into a contract accepting the terms and conditions.

What I will take from your comments is however challenging this lifestyle may be I must strive to keep our usual high standard of customer care.

Been to The Miclaran? Share your experiences!