“Fab afternoon!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Fab afternoon!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

Myself, partner and a friend attended today for afternoon tea.

The staff Harriet and Ryan were amazing and couldn't do enough for us!

Beautiful views (despite the rain!) and a lovely place to chill out we were there for 3.5hours and weren't rushed out if the place.

Great afternoon!! Thank you both very very much

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Holywood co down
“Nice ambiance, shame about the food, poor value...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

Our birthday group of 4 went this week for early evening meal. Off the a la carte menu. 3 had starters , 4 mains. Bottle wine, 5 drinks
One main sent back ( lamb cutlets medium rare was well done ,tough and nearly edible)
Food was 5/10 , service 7/10 ambiance 8/10 value for money 3/10,

• 2 of 5 stars Food
Ireland
“Weekend Break”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

Stayed here for the Easter weekend and I have to say I wasn't overly impressed.
The hotel is rated 5 star but I don't think it is set out as such. The room was nothing special. There was not fridge in the room. There was 2 bottles of water,which were warm. There was an ice bucket which was empty and if you needed ice I'd say you would have to go to the bar to get it!!
The bathroom was very basic with the shower over the bath. When I used it the whole bathroom got soaked. The shower head was partially blocked with lime scale and this made the water go everywhere.
The bed was two singles pushed together which made it at least 8 foot wide but was comfortable.
The walls were paper thin and not great when you can hear the people in the next room
We dined in the bistro on the hotel grounds and the food was average. I ordered steak which I'd rate about 4/10. I also had fries, which I sent back because they were burnt!!
The service was good and the staff very courteous and helpful.
Overall I kind of feel cheated as I've stayed in lesser rated hotels and had far better experiences.

donacloney
“poor service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

hi on the 25/01/14 i stopped here with my daughter and granddaughter to have a quick snack. we were there 5mins when the tea arrived after about 40 mins the sandwiches and 1soup arrived. by this time out tea was cold. i asked to have the tea heated up the waiter took the tea away to warm up and brought it back 10 mins later when we had almost finished our food. service not good and you need to have plenty of time to wait for food and drinks. won,t be back.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Simply the best! Excellent food and great service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

My family recently had the pleasure of enjoying a Festive Afternoon Tea at the Culloden Estate & Spa just outside Belfast. In family tradition we meet before Christmas in a local hotel. This was the first time we had chosen the Culloden and we have already decided it will become our traditional venue of choice. With ease we reserved a table over the phone a couple of weeks before. The whole experience was memorable from start to finish. We were greeted on arrival by a friendly and courteous manager called Peter and taken to a beautiful table overlooking Belfast Lough and a direct view of the famous herb garden within the grounds of the Culloden Estate & Spa (worth a visit!). Although the Mitre restaurant (where we dined) and Crozier lounge (just to the right when you enter) were busy, especially in the run up to Christmas, we felt as if were the only party there as our dedicated server checked on us throughout our time there as well as another manager called Jeff - not too often, but just the right amount to remind us they were there to make our time all the more enjoyable. The ambience was relaxed and the hotel was beautifully decorated, elegant and stylish. Each table had a miniature poinsettia which was a nice touch.

As we had come for Festive Afternoon Tea we only had to choose our hot drinks. There is a fabulous selection of fine teas and coffees and the staff are only too willing to recommend one that may suit your preference. The best part was when our server came out smiling with a beautifully stacked selection of pastries, sandwiches and scones (which were still warm!). Having experienced many 5 Star hotel afternoon teas, I can say with ease that the Culloden surpassed all of my expectations by presenting such a fabulous festive fayre! There was a generous range of various freshly filled finger sandwiches, salmon in mini croissants (my favourite) and a selection of vegetarian sandwiches. We had mentioned this at the time of our reservation and it was duly noted as my sister had her own plate of several vegetarian filled sandwiches. The pastries ranged from macaroons, festive mince pies, chocolate eclairs, Baileys' (!!) shots with candied orange and even white chocolate shortbread. There was so much that we weren't even able to finish it all, but we were able to take anything we didn't eat home in beautiful little boxes to enjoy at home. Our whole experience was finished off with a glass of champagne, which you can enjoy for an additional charge (definitely worth it, especially if you are there for a special occasion) and we were then left free to enjoy the view for a little longer until we had to travel home.

The staff made the whole experience so memorable, nothing was too much trouble. The food was fresh, tasty and the presentation was impeccable. Top tip: don't eat before you go, this is no ordinary afternoon tea. Will we be back? Definitely... why wait until Christmas, there are birthdays and other occasions which will give us an excuse to return sooner! A great place to start off the Christmas festivities.

• Visited December 2013