“Brilliant” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: English
Belfast
“Brilliant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Visited here again recently and was not disappointed. We do not eat fish and chips often but when we do, the Ruddy Duck is our first choice by far. Great selection of fish and other options including seafood chowder, crab claws etc. On our most recent visit, I had the hake supper and my partner had the scampi and chips. Both meals were very tasty. Ironically, when I cut into my hake- the actual fish was tastier (once you got through the batter) than hake I had eaten recently at Ox restaurant in Belfast (which is clearly supposed to be fine dining and you would not normally be able to draw a comparison between a fish and chip shop and a fine dining restaurant!!!!)- however the difference was that Ox served me overcooked hake with absolutely no flavour. Also love the fact that you do not get the horrible greasy after taste following a visit to the Ruddy Duck which you might have after visiting other fish and chip shops.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Tasty, yes. And it doesn't leave you with that Junk Food guilt afterwards.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

The Ruddy Duck replaced what was the best chip shop in Holywood - Bobby Max. I personally did not think The Ruddy Duck would be a match for its predecessor, but I was proved wrong.

This chippy offers a wide range of fish and seafood like no other; Cod, Haddock, Scampi and Crab Claws, amongst others. Their chicken goujons are gorgeous, juicy, and the batter is not overly greasy, nor heavy.

The chips seem to be freshly made, not frozen. They taste that way anyway. If you want proper "chippy chips", then these may not be for you, they almost taste homemade. However I definitely recommend, give it a try!

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Finally. Fish & Chips that taste of Fish & Chips & Crab Claws too!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

Finally made it to The Ruddy Duck after finding it on the Internet about a year ago. I love the Dirty Duck. It's one of my favourite places but sometimes, after a trip to the beach, fish & chips in a chip shop is where it's at. I had hake, my daughter had cod & we both shared chips & salad. My Hake was fresh, cooked to perfection in a crispy batter. Chips crunchy on the outside, fluffy in the centre. Dressed salad was the ideal accompaniment. My daughter's cod was as it should be and she (almost) finished it. All well presented in a fashion that would harken to Brighton or Howth and an environment of seaside colours and vintage postcards. They even serve
crab claws ....

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Carnmoney Co. Antrim
“great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

Great location with panoramic views of Belfast lough. Good servive and food but always full and buzzing

Visited May 2013
Ballywalter, United Kingdom
“Fish and chips doesn't get much worse than this.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Been several times in the past and given that the chips are always dreadful, I ordered only a piece of cod to go on friday. It was the most tasteless dried up piece of cotton wool rubbish I have ever eaten - Captain Birds Eye could do better at fraction of price.

I have eaten fish and chips everywhere in NI and I suggest as follows, 1st place goes to Eddy Spences in East Belfast - widely acknowledged the best. The other good one is chipper near the Elk pub in Dundonald - always a big queue but the grub is excellent.

I am sorry but I find Ruddy Duck not good and expensive and you can do a great deal better elsewhere.

• Visited January 2013