“Wonderful Wedding” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Holywood
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Wonderful Wedding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

We stayed recently for a family wedding and were delighted with the hotel. We had booked three rooms for the night of the wedding and although technically check in was not until early afternoon, the receptionist did her very best for us and managed to allow us access to two of the three rooms early. This made life so much easier for us! The rooms were all of a high standard and the bedding most comfortable. The wedding itself was in the Stuart Suite and was wonderful! What a beautiful view! Food was of a very high standard and service very good. The breakfast the following morning deserves a special mention! EXCELLENT! We all particularly loved the local produce that was used, we just wish we could have enjoyed even more but were still full from the night before! The grounds are most attractive and will provide numerous wonderful photo opportunities! Mind you I am still a little bemused at the sculpture opposite the front of the hotel! All in all a great stay!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
cullodenhotel, General Manager at Culloden Estate & Spa, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Dear MGPMCC

I would like to take this opportunity to express my thanks for your very kind comments about the Culloden Estate and Spa.

I was pleased to learn that you had such an enjoyable stay and were “delighted with the hotel”. I am glad that the reception team were able to be so efficient and organise for you to get two of your rooms earlier than expected, making it easier for you all to get ready for the wedding. It is also wonderful to see you found the breakfast to be “excellent”. I will be sure to pass on these positive comments to all departments involved.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Culloden Hotel in the near future.

Mr James McGinn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is a lovely building in beautiful grounds , looking over Belfast Lough. It's priced highly in comparison to the alternatives .
I stayed 3 nights with my disabled mother, who is from NI so knew the hotel many years ago.
I was disappointed from the start. There was no greeter/ doorman ever over the 3 days. On arrival I had to leave the car and luggage and help my Mother in. I did get help, but had to ask for it . I told reception about this and also that it was my mothers birthday, but no card or greeting from the hotel. My mother found the bed high, and I asked for a step to help her... Still waiting. No one got back to us.
For me the hotel was ok, but I am upset for my Mum who had such high expectations.

Stayed June 2014
Cranleigh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Hard to make a valued judgement as we found a good deal with Expedia for bed only and had dinner in the nearby Cultra Inn (owned by the hotel and producing very average food). The room was comfortable but nothing special with a view of the function room roof. Having to pay for wifi in the room is substandard for a hotel taking itself this seriously. The building and grounds are very impressive. Unfortunately, we didn't have time to use the Spa and facilities, which looked to be of a high standard. Conveniently located to Belfast ferry port and City airport, with handy train service from station next door into city.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Maurice H

With regards to your recent review of your experience at the Culloden Estate and Spa, I wish to thank you for taking the time to leave your opinion on tripadvisor.

I was disappointed to learn that you felt the food served to you at Cultra Inn was “very average”. We are regularly commended on the high levels of service and quality of food we provide within both of our restaurants. We are dedicated to using local suppliers for our carefully selected seasonal foods, so I am therefore deeply disappointed to learn that the food did not exceed your expectations. This is certainly not in line with our usual five star standards. As a result of your comment, I will be closely monitoring this to ensure our normal standards are upheld.

I would like to thank you once again for taking the time to draw these matters to my attention. We value all feedback, be it positive or negative. It is only through such feedback that we may rectify any shortcomings and prevent their reoccurrence.

Bangor
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

I had a meeting with some friends in the hotel.
what shocked me was the price of two coffees and a tea £15! the cappuccino coffee alone £5 !
These are London/New York prices and this hotel is certainly not in that league.
It is charges like this that rip off tourists and should be monitored by the tourism people to ensure that fairness and value exists across the board.
Needless to say I wont be having a coffee there again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
cullodenhotel, General Manager at Culloden Estate & Spa, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Dear BangorBarney

I wish to thank you for taking the time to leave your opinion on tripadvisor.

We were delighted to have had the opportunity to host your business meeting, with your friends, at the Culloden Estate and Spa. Built in 1876, our majestic Gothic mansion is steeped in history. The stunning Bishop’s Palace offers you an atmosphere of timeless elegance in an unrivalled setting. The public areas, corridors and grand staircases are adorned with many fine antiques, paintings and beautiful turn-of-the-century chandeliers. All of this is set within the delightfully manicured gardens of our rolling wooded estate, overlooking Belfast Lough.

Our tea experience, within the Estate, has been created using a wonderful blend of Assam and Kenya’s finest teas selected specially for Hastings Hotels and blended in Belfast by Thompson’s finest teas to create the perfect combination of flavour and bouquet. Our Hastings Estate Blend coffee is a specially selected combination of quality Arabica Beans sourced and roasted by Bewley’s in Dublin. As part of this experience you do also receive Culloden homemade tray bakes.

As we say on our menus we trust the Bishop would approve! As do we.

Your Sincerely

Craig Stewart
Operations Manager
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here in June for one night.

Pros:
- Beautiful location and building.
- Nice bar for evening drinks.
- Grounds and settings.
- Good size room.
- Spa facilities.

Cons:
- Lady at reception for check in was not welcoming.
- Porter didn't show us to our room.
- No night turndown service. We had showered before going out for dinner and didn't have fresh towels on our return.
- Service in the Cultra Inn was painfully slow even though it was only about 30% full.
- The bedding had a funny smell. We only noticed this after going to bed so didn't call reception. We ended up putting most of it in the cupboard to escape the smell!
- Room service incredibly expensive. We had a continental breakfast for 2 with an orange juice and coffee....£37!!! There wasn't a price listed on the menu but we definitely regretted getting it.

All in all it was an ok stay but we've been fortunate enough to regularly stay in 5 star hotels all over the world and this one definitely ranks at the bottom.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Richash85

I wish to thank you for taking the time to leave your opinion on tripadvisor.

I am pleased to learn that you found the hotel to be in a "beautiful location" and listed positive features about the facilities including the Bar and Spa.

I am, however, genuinely disappointed that we did not live up to our normally very high standards in all aspects of the hotel. We take great pride in providing professional, courteous and efficient customer service so to hear that we have fallen short is a cause for considerable concern.

I would like to thank you once again for taking the time to draw these matters to our attention. We value all feedback, be it positive or negative. It is only through such feedback that we may rectify any shortcomings and prevent their re-occurrence.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Culloden Estate and Spa in the near future.

Your sincerely

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

I stayed here overnight on business but will be back for a leisure break. It is located a bit out of the centre but in lovely grounds and with a great view. With its own train halt it is a really good base to see the city. Rooms of a very good standard and on the rate I paid very good value for the quality. A heavy night prevented me from enjoying breakfast to the full but it did look as good a buffet as you could get anywhere. As with other reviewers the staff were to a person polite, helpful, friendly and obviously proud of the hotel - a great asset. Please try this hotel if you can.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
cullodenhotel, General Manager at Culloden Estate & Spa, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Dear Milton W

I was delighted to learn that you found the hotel to be “hard to fault”.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Culloden Hotel in the near future.

Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights and was sorry to leave! The rooms were excellent, very clean and comfortable also the staff were very efficient and friendly with out being too familiar. The locally sourced food was well cooked and served in a dinning room with a breathtaking view over Belfast Lough to the Antrim hills. Unfortunately I was unable to sample the delights of the spa but intend to do this on my next visit which hopefully will be very soon! Overall I would highly recommend this hotel and its staff.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear Carolyn G

I would like to take this opportunity to express my thanks for your very kind comments about the Culloden Estate and Spa and particularly about our staff.

I was delighted to learn that you found our staff to be “very efficient and friendly without being too familiar”.

Mr James McGinn

Been to Culloden Estate & Spa? Share your experiences!