“Lunch-time visit” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Walsall, United Kingdom
“Lunch-time visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Second visit in recent times; both times food and service consistently good. Pub is very welcoming, particularly on a cold and wet day, with log-burning fire in bar/eating area and staff very attentive and keen to please. Wide ranging menu with variety of dishes, well presented and served and excellent real ales. Good quality throughout and the pub is deserving of its good reputation and local support.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

70% Recommend
Kingsbridge, United Kingdom
“A great menu which should suit all tastes.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

This is a grate place with fantastic food, grate service and brilliant atmosphere.
I can't say much moor, other than to say you must try it.

Torquay, United Kingdom
“Posh Nosh”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I love the Church House Inn at Marldon. Its not cheap but the food is always excellent. Not the kind of pub you would take children to if they only like chicken nuggets and chips but for those who fancy something different the daily specials are wonderful. Pasta with smoked salmon, sea bass, spicy tiger prawns and and always an interesting veggie dish. Leave room for the wonderfully presented puddings.There is a lovely atmosphere in the bar area plus a restaurant. In warmer weather there is a pretty small garden ideal to sit out at lunchtime with a tasty baguette. Good wine selection here too. My only complaint is there sometimes seems to be a shortage of staff and you can wait at the bar for a while before being served or to pay the bill which is a little fustrating, nevertheless I will return!

• Visited March 2013
Topsham, United Kingdom
“Church House in Marldon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Had lunch there on Tuesday 26th Feb 2013. The moment I walked through the door I had a smile and a warm welcome - that's what you hope for but rarely get.

All the staff (in the owner's absence) were friendly, attentive and helpful. The food was served promptly and was excelllent and imaginatively cooked. No wonder they have won Best Pub for Food 2013 and no wonder it was full on a cold, grey day in February.

• Visited February 2013
Paignton, United Kingdom
“Expensive and standards are slipping”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I live 5 minutes walk from the Church House and have done for the last 8 years. I have lost count of how many meals I have had there and I feel an akinship to the place. My last two meals were delicious and it is fair to say that, despite eating in numerous restaurants in London recently, I can only really eat and enjoy a medium cooked fillet steak here. The only negative thing I can say about the food is the portion size of the side orders, the dish of vegetables which was presented to me and my partner for two people was laughable, as it was, my partner wasn't that hungry so we let it go. What I have also noticed over the last 18 months is a difference in the friendliness of the staff and the time it takes between courses. On the last two occasions I have visited (bearing in mind I have been coming for 8 years) the bar staff have looked at me like I was a big issue seller asking for change! Also, the smiles I've experienced from those serving the food seem forced and like they bearly have time to be polite. On the subject of waiting times, I understand that Friday and Saturday are busy nights and I only ever visit on those nights; I am also never in a hurry because I enjoy spending a whole evening in the Church House but trying to politely gain the attention of a member of staff as they sprint past, clearly wanting to avoid eye contact, no doubt because they have too much to do to stop and serve me, perhaps more staff should be employed on your busiest nights, assuming that is the problem. I suppose the alternative could be that the waiting is intentional, in order that more drinks are consumed. My final point is the price of wine, I appreciate that I am being served in very nice surroundings but is a 200% mark up on a bottle of Rioja really necessary?

• Visited January 2013