“Really nice for a family break” 5 of 5 stars

Book at premierinn.com
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Paignton
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Luton
“Really nice for a family break”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the Premier Inn Goodrington for 5 nights with our 2 year old and loved it. Excellent location on the beach.

Firstly the room. We had a family room no 19. A king size bed and a single. Big enough for the 3 us with room to spare and a great view of the beach. All the usual furnishings you would expect from a premier inn. I did call before asking for a sea view. Worth doing as it really is a great view of the bay.

Restaurant/Bar is a Brewers Fayre attached to the hotel. We ate there for breakfast and evening meals. We had a variety of meals and all excellent and fairly priced. Worth pre booking your table for evening meals as it does get busy around peak times. You can also request specific tables. You order and pay for food at the bar.

Area. Goodrington is basically the beach with a nice park with the Premier Inn in the middle. The left hand beach is mainly used by dog walkers whilst the bigger right hand beach dogs are not allowed. no issues with dog noise for us. Both beaches nice and clean.There is a small tea/snack bar at each end of the beach and another in the park. There is also a snack/pizza place at the waterpark. These can shut early though on quiet days so don't rely upon them being open. You also have the train station for the steam railway. If you walk to the right hand end of the beach under the train track and up the road there are a couple of takeaways and a chippy. Recommend the chippy (frying Scotsman) excellent chips. About 15 min slow walk from hotel.
You can easily walk into Paignton. Litterally come out of the hotel turn right and keep walking. About 15 mins walk into town centre with shops, eating places etc. about another 10 mins walk through the pedestrianised part to the sea front. Nice easy flat walk even with a pushchair.

Car Parking is free for premier inn customers but you have to get a permit from reception. It is also a pay and display car park. This was my only niggle as I can imagine in summer months it being difficult to get a space. Premier Inn should really reserve spaces for people spending money staying with them. There are only 6 spaces specifically reserved. The rest are first come basis.

Staff. They really make the place. The girls on reception were always cheerful and helpful. The staff in the restaurant were also good. I have stayed in many hotels and work in a customer based job so I know how important good staff are. Well done to all here as they really make you feel welcome. We will be returning.

• Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Kent
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Stayed here for three days in a family room. As a family we have stayed in many premier Inn family rooms, this however was the smallest ever family room that we have stayed in. I think that the company has simply tried to squeeze to many rooms into a small space, unable to move around beds just not enough room. Most of the rooms over look the beach which ours did but with very small windows. This Inn is right on the beach which is good but dogs are allowed on part of the beach which is where the Inn is situated, it seems as though the the population of Paignton who own dogs bring them to Goodrington Sands beach from about 5.30am and the barking sort of starts from then, I have a dog but it was to much for me. Most of the reception staff are friendly and helpful. The resturant attached to the Inn is dreadful, it is best to avoid it, booked for breakfast for one morning, however it was chaos, not enough staff to serve, had to find a member of staff to take our order, no juice available, no cakes muffins etc. When the food did arrive it was not exactly edable, sausages not cooked properly and I have no idea what the scrambled egg was made with but it was'nt nice. Old food was under the table it really did not look clean. The whole resturant needs to be refurbished. There is a better cleaner Premier Inn just outside town, my advice stay there instead.The actual beach just looks dirty there are much better beaches within easy driving distanace. A disappointing Premier Inn.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

A fantastic premier inn right on the beach.best views of any of the premier inns.fantastic staff the only draw back was there was no lift to the second floor, and though this didn't pose to many problems, carrying your suitcases up two floors when you are stopping for a week after a long journey wasn't what anyone would need.

Room Tip: If you have trouble with stairs make sure you book a room on the first floor
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Essex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Ideal location for a family break. Visits to Brixham and Dartmouth recommended. We were fortunate to see Seals from Fishcombe cove. The beach is cleaned daily and plenty of great rockpools for the kids to enjoy.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with premierinn.com

Hounslow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

I went to the premier inn as I wanted to go on the Dartmouth Steam Railway..
well the place was better than I expected.
Came into the car park place look very very clean and inviting (plus the sun was out)
I went into reception ,,I had rung up a few days before and asked if I could have a room with the looking over the bay. was told they would see .
when I book in ask again for the sea view told ok we have one on the 1st floor
Plus what a great warm welcome.

went up to the room went in and down and down a few steps ,,
the room was excellent it was over looking the bay I had 2 big windows.
Big Bed even for me at 6ft.
bath room was very clean even had a big full sized bath .
I was there for 4 nights had breakfast as part of my stay package in the Brewers fayre eat as much as you wanted .lasted all day
Got free parking as well.

I had only seen this place on a to youtube video
someone hanging out the window of the train filming the Goodrington sand and surrounding area.
That was a seller for me the golden sands
so many place for people to walk to.
and use as a base for going around devon.
had my evening meal in the brewers farye next door
Food and drink was Great and cheap to me.
I enjoyed my stay in the inn and evenings in the Fayre
everyone in the Inn and the fayre made me feel so welcomed.

My thanks to all the people I met during my stay
I want and will get back to their.
Great place for relaxing and getting away from work.

The Sun rises in the morning have been the best i have seen from any hotel even better than some I have seen in the USA.
It also has one of the quietest A/C I know could sleep with it on

Room Tip: Ask for a Sea view over looking the Bay You could get a view of the carpark on the other side
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Sutton Coldfield, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

We have just arrived back from a two night stay at this Premier Inn , having read previous Trip Advisor reviews we were very interested to see if it lived up to its reputation.
We arrived a little early (check in time was after 2.00pm and we arrived about 12ish) and realising we were too early to check in we decided to obtain a free car park permit for Premier Inn customers and go for lunch and come back after 2.00pm , the man on Reception (older man ) was a little bit too keen to point out we were too early to check in before we could explain we just wanted the car park pass and we were going to come back , not a great start to our first impression and on our first visit !
We however had lunch and returned to be checked in by a lady called Anna who welcomed us in a friendly manner , we had booked a family room for myself and my husband and two children aged 12 and 13,, I already knew that many of the rooms had sea views and commented to the Receptionist Anna as she gave us our room 28 key "I hope we have got a sea view" but she said she didn't know ??? Off we set for Room 28 which is a long way from Reception (no lift available) upstairs but we finally arrived, my first impression is that although the room was spotlessly clean with all the usual Premier Inn facilities (including dual aspect windows with sea views) it was very cramped for a 'family room' we have stayed in family rooms before with Premier Inns and never had a family room that small ! When I questioned Anna about the size of the room later and asked whether that was definitely a family room and not a double which had an extra two beds squished in she said "it was a family room" ??? I remain in doubt of this.
The location of this Premier Inn is right on the seafront, attached via an interconnecting door into a Brewers Fayre where breakfast and usual pub grub was on offer, it was nice being able to sit overlooking the sea for breakfast, the Premier Breakfast lived up to its reputation , although I personally found the leek veggie sausages a little strong for breakfast (fab for dinner with mash and gravy ) and would prefer Linda McCartney.
One thing I must mention , I hate drinking my breakfast tea out of mugs and asked the young girl Sarah who took the cooked breakfast order if it was possible to get hold of cup and saucer, twice she said she would check in the cupboard but did nothing !! In the end I had to use a mug, they really need to change this as I am sure most people would like the choice of mugs or Cups and saucers
. We ate at the Brewers Fayre for most of our meals and it was ok but as it was half term holiday and lots of families staying, they were badly understaffed creating long queues for drinks and ordering food, but on the whole most of the staff there were friendly .
The beach adjacent to this Inn is sandy ,lovely and clean with cute colourful beach hut all along, great for children, old and young alike. There is a basketball area behind the beach huts and a small outdoor gym type set up, an outdoor water park, another park with crazy golf, pond rides,etc etc, Steam Railway Station and an indoor leisure centre , all this is within walking distance of the Premier Inn , Paignton is about 15 mins walk away.
As we were only there for a relatively short time and Wednesday was such a lovely day, we took the option of going on the Steam Train which was very authentic to Kingswear which we all thoroughly enjoyed , on getting to Kingswear we took the ferry across to Dartmouth with its pretty little harbour setting, ( we could have been in France ) we had the best fish and chips I have had for ages in The Station Restaurant (cod melted in your mouth ! ) and then for a relatively small amount of money bought a crabbing plastic bucker, reel and bait and all enjoyed a lovely few hours catching crabs. Fully recommend this trip to all with children.
On checking out of the Premier Inn again with Anna, I asked her about other family rooms, as during our stay the cleaners had showed us two other family rooms which were much bigger than ours( Room 14 and Room 29 both nice and spacey Room 29 in particular with nice sea views ) and could she tell us of other bigger rooms for future visits that we could request , she didn't seem to know which rooms were what size ??? My advice is ring direct (rather than book on line which is what we did ) and ask for a large family with sea views.

rob140567
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

As someone who spends a lot of time travelling for business in the UK I have come to get used to the Premier Inn service offering. That said this site below the children and I away.

From the moment we arrived the staff were fabulous and you just had the impression nothing was too much trouble. If the hotel was any closer to the beach it would be in the water and the room had a view to die for. Myself and 3 children stayed in room 14 which has views out to sea and across the long sandy beach.

We used the pub for a drink in the evening and it was good and in the morning breakfast in a sunny conservatory overlooking the beach was fabulous.

I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough and their staff are an absolute credit to the brand.

Room Tip: Room 14 is excellent
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Premier Inn Paignton - Goodrington Sands? Share your experiences!