“Superb” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Paignton
Bury, United Kingdom
“Superb”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2011

Ignore poor reviews it is warm, friendly and helpful and the food is fantastic. I can only assume poor reviews are from folk who eat a la carte every night and employ servants. The staff are amazing and go the extra mile-it was humbling to see how they cared for a visually disabled guest. Try it for yourself.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2011

As an experienced traveller staying in all type of accomodation five star hotels to guest houses I rate the staff and management at the Esplanade as one of the most friendly and efficient team I have come across.
From the welcoming reception to the time of checkout all staff wer courteoous and friendly
Remarks have been made about the size of the ensuite bedrooms like many older hotels a sector of the original bedroom has been converted to ensuite this is preferable to years ago when there were only a couple of bathrooms on each landing.
The bedrooms were adequate clean wih tv tea making comfortable bed and we had a good nights sleep why would you want to spend lengthy time in the bedroom when there are quiet comfortable lounges to relax with sea views and read your paper.
The food was goodwll served and first class entertainment.
The hotel is well placed once we parked the car we did not use it again.
This is our second visit to this hotel this year we enjoyed it as did others as I noticed some re booking before they left we will re visit.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Plymouth
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2010

A typical Shearings hotel ample parking good location & on the whole friendly staff. Problems started with a 30min wait to be served on the first night even then the wine waiter had to fetch someone,Saturday was fine with service as expected, Sunday again bad with a fire alarm going off and all the staff disapeared for 10mins without informing anybody of the problem !!! to be served in the evening consisted of going to the reception twice to get attention as again the restaurant staff did not care. The explanation given that there was no waiter spare to serve tables 35 - 41 & the others had to fill in as best they could.The room was clean & tidy.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
cheshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

my wife and i stayed at the esplanade 8th to 11th october 2010 and we were very pleased with this hotel, the staff could not do enough for you,our room was clean and tidy, food was excellent and service was unbeatable.fantastic value for money.
Our only complaint was we could not find anything to complain about

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2010

I have just returned from a four night stay at the Esplanade (4th-8th October) and after reading the reviews felt I had to add my own comments.

I travelled with my mum, she is 78 and I am 40. Our package was all inclusive, which basically means half board plus free alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks in the evening between 7:30 and 10:30.

Yes the hotel is in desperate need of decoration and my bedroom was small, as a few others have pointed out. The sink in the bathroom was tiny and is a little awkward when cleaning your teeth! The shower cubicle was compact although powerful and the water was always hot and I didn't have a problem with the temperature changing as someone else did. I wouldn't say the room was dirty as the cleaner obviously did the best she could. The bed sheets were clean and the bathroom was as clean as she could make it (there is mould on the silicone around the base of the shower which needs to be replaced). Also, there were stains on the chair and carpet which should be replaced.

Anyway, now I've got the only bad points out of the way, I can honestly say the rest of my experience was lovely. The staff were very friendly and polite, the food was excellent and very quickly served and the hotel itself overlooks the sea ( I had a lovely sea view from my room which I paid an extra £10 for at the time of booking, well worth it). We had booked two single rooms and they were next to each other as I requested at the time of booking so that was great. We were on the first floor so had to use the lifts regularly as my mum doesn't walk very well and we never had to queue for them. The entertainment was very good every night, special mentions go to Lee, Katy May and the guy who played the electric guitar (Steve I think but not sure). Getting our free drinks from the bar was quick and easy.

These holidays are tailored towards the over 50s which I was well aware of before I went so was not surprised to be one of the youngest guests staying at the hotel. I think the majority of the other guests were happy with their stay although I overheard one lady moaning about the food on more than one occasion which really annoyed me because
I thought the whole eating experience was excellent. I decided after the first breakfast that I didn't like the sausage so didn't have it again as you can pick which items you want on your cooked breakfast. I got extra bacon instead which was better than I cook myself!

Considering we paid £277.00 each which included a sea view, front seat on the coach, single room supplement, breakfast, evening meal and unlimited drinks in the evening, entertainment plus two excursions with a packed lunch one day I think this holiday was well worth what we paid. Reading some of these reviews, I honestly wonder what some people expect for their money.

As a last note I would like to mention our driver for the week, Bob, a lovely guy from Cardiff who was very knowledgable about the area and kept us entertained every day. Having a nice driver definitely makes a difference so cheers Bob. x

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Ripley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2010

booked a long weekend with shearings out of paper cost us £75 each.Went with open mind and were very pleasantly suprised staff were great food was good with a reasonable choice of dishes the room was a little on the small side but the view out of window made up for that!
The biggest shock of the weekend was to find that we were the youngest couple in the hotel and at 42 and 37 that takes some doing! The majority of the people in the hotel appeared to be over 60 the majority of them were great but we did come across a few who seemed to expect ritz type service for bargain basement prices my message to them would be to get real.
I have stayed in far worse hotels for a lot more money and would recomend this hotel if you dont mind the odd arrogant oap sit back and enjoy the entertainment!!!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Burton on Trent
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2010

We stayed for three nights and found the hotel to be excellent value for money. The room was a bit small but it was clean and comfortable and had a wonderful sea view. The food was good. I don't know how they can produce food of this standard for the price they charge and make a profit ! The service was good and staff friendly in all areas of the hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Bay Esplanade Hotel? Share your experiences!