“Fantastic.” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 212 Restaurants in Wigan
Cuisines: Vegan, Vegetarian, Healthy, Organic
Description: Fantastic cuisine in a historic part of town. Pure vegetarian & vegan with a wide choice for coeliacs too. Everything is cooked from scratch in The Coven kitchen - we all all the ingredients in our food so we can guarantee the quality. We also cater for special diets and needs and have special ingredients on hand to help. Massive drinks menu with 25 fine loose teas, organic coffees and normal & vegan milkshakes & smoothies.
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Fantastic.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We travel from Manchester to Wigan to visit the coven, which should give some idea of how much we like it. The owners and staff are always lovely,and the place has a cozy, bistro feel. The food is genuinely inventive and the kitchen is able to cater for the most unusual/demanding food requirements; our party usually being made up of vegans and raw foodists. On the last visit, I started with the chestnut Pate; a really delicious, slightly sweet pate that went well with the bread and salad. For the main course I had the "stack" ; a tower of potato rosti, home made burger, mushroom and creamy sauce. It was a fantastic, tasty dish, and equal to the amazing raw spaghetti bolognese I enjoyed on my last visit. Too full for dessert I settled for one of the Covern's wide selections of specialty teas.

The quality has remained consistent after the recent change of hands; would recommend to anyone.

• Visited December 2012

Talloires, France
“Superb experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

We went to the Coven for a cookery course, which we thoroughly enjoyed! My husband and I didn't really know what to expect but Colin and Maria put us to ease straight away. We got some great ideas out of the course and we found it inspiring.

The food we tried on the day was absolutely delicious. Well done to them! Since then we've done their hummus and mushroom burgers and they went down a storm!

The dishes we tried were all on the menu of the Coven so based on this I can highly recommend this cosy little place.

I can also highly recommend their cookery courses - plenty of food on the day and lots of ideas to take home with you!

Wigan, England, United Kingdom
“New owners same high standards”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Went on opening night for new owners. Started with a mezze which was plentiful with Pitta and nachos. My main course was delicious chineese fritters on a raw noodle mix.(the noodles are spiralized veg spiced and seasoned) Lovely and spicy with crisp batter. We finished off with Apple and walnut cake with ice cream (all Vegan). The cake was better than any dairy cake ive had. There is a large selection of colas teas and coffees which all go down well
We shall return

Recommend for eveyone not just veggies or vegans

Wigan, United Kingdom
“Great food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Great choice of dishes available. I had the chinese fritters - they were lovely! Different, but very tasty. I followed this with 'spotted dick' with custard and it was great! The food altogether was excellent, atmosphere was great lovely and warm. I would definitely, definitely come again.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“Fantastic atmosphere and delicious food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I initially didn't know what to expect from my visit as I am not a vegitarian and I don't have any special dietary need but I'm very glad I took the gamble. The food is packed full of flavour, the staff are brilliant and everything feels very personal. I have since visited for a evening meal and that was equally delicious. I can't recommend the coven enough.