“Decidedly Average” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel

You added Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel to your Saves list
Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Orchard Street, Wigan WN1 3SS, England (Formerly The Wigan Oak Hotel)   |
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Wigan
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Decidedly Average”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

This hotel is cheap, but you get what you pay for! I reserved a room via Hotels.com and got the room only at a rate of £45. On check in the reception staff tried to upsell me a breakfast which was £13.95!!!! (You could get it for the bonus price of £8 if you paid there and then). Considering the room cost this is extortionate!

The hotel itself is fairly clean but it is also right in the centre of Wigan with a number of major roads around the perimeter resulting in it being very noisy. The rooms are OK, but the bed was way too soft for my liking, the staff were non-engaging and didn't seem to be that interested.

The restaurant and bar were empty both at dinner (I ate elsewhere) and at breakfast (I went to the 24 hour Tesco over the road and bought my own). The hotel car park was full so one can only draw the conclusion that the food and service are not up to much either.

To be honest, I wouldn't stay here again. There are other hotels in Wigan I would try first before returning here.

Room Tip: Find somewhere else to stay!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
WiganOak, General Manager at Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Unfortunately, I have to dispute the main criticisms in your review, which I’d like to address:
Firstly, the breakfast charge is a fair reflection on what our guests receive. I cannot agree with your negative comments if you did not actually try the food and to assume that the service and food are not a high standard based purely on how busy the car park was is something I cannot accept. The hotel has large conference facilities which, in itself, can attract a lot of vehicles.
I am surprised to read your comments regarding the bedrooms, particularly the beds as we receive many positive comments regarding the comfort and standard of the rooms. Although we are town centre, this a major factor in many of our guests staying with us and, again, we receive no negative comments regarding noise levels.
I am sorry that you feel that you could not stay here again, however I must point out that we get a high level of repeat business from guests who are very satisfied with the standards of service and comfort. I do wish that you would have experienced the hotel more and our services and not base your comments on assumptions.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Gibraltar
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

We were visiting family in Wigan so We stayed in the hotel for 4 nights, myself my husband and our three year old daughter, and I must say the rooms were good with a lovely comfortable big bed, very clean and the staff were very pleasant and would always be there at your service. Food was brilliant...my compliments to the chef and as I mentioned before the restaurant staff were excelent as having a three year old can sometimes be a bit crazy though I have to say thanks to Kay especially for helping out with colouring pencils ect and another lady who I forget her name. And Sandra whos in the restaurant in the morning and others who I cant remember names, also the hotel is near the Town center so its in walking distance, so thanks again for making our stay pleasant. Will definetly recommend it and we will be back .

Room Tip: Away from lift and doors to the lift as they bang when somebody passes
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
WiganOak, General Manager at Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I was delighted to read your very kind comments, particularly regarding our staff. We are delighted that your stay here was comfortable and I am so pleased that we helped make your stay enjoyable.

I have passed your comments on to all staff and I do hope that we get the opportunity to welcome you back soon.
Liverpool, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Stayed here for three nights. Modern building. Pleasant obliging staff. Good car park. Convenient for walking into Wigan town centre - 10 minute walk. Room very good size. Comfortable bed with good pillows. TV & tea & coffee making facilities. Free WiFi Internet which I did not use as I have 3G.
Bathroom good size; good hot showers.
I was very comfortable here and if I come back to Wigan for another course I would want to stay here again.
Didn't eat in the restaurant at all so cannot comment on that.

Room Tip: I was very satisfied with my room on the 3rd floor overlooking a busy road. Road noise not a proble...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
WiganOak, General Manager at Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you for your review. I was delighted to read your very kind comments and that you had a comfortable and enjoyable stay. I do hope that, on your next stay, you have the opportunity to dine in our restaurant.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

Just got home after staying at the mercure and im not to sure how this is the 2nd best in the ranks. We checked in to guys they was ok but they never asked us if we needed any help with our luggage. We then went into the room 114 to find a room with no ceiling light? My pillow was god knows how old. see the picture i uploaded and have a guess yourself. The phone didn't work, never even had a dialling tone and it was all plugged in correct. No wardrobe. A tiny pole against 2 walls with about 8 coat hangers. No good when theres 2 of you. Then to top it off when i opened one of the main draws on the inside as been damaged and the bodged up with black tape and ive also taken a picture and uploaded it because it is shocking and to say this hotel got a refurb not so long ago? And the price 84 pound for one night The only good thing about the room was the bathroom. Very nice and clean with a powerful shower. When we checked out never even asked us if we have a nice stay or anything so just gave her the little key holder and left. Wont be in a rush to come back

• Stayed March 2013
WiganOak, General Manager at Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to speak with me this morning, regarding your stay. The problems that you encountered were obviously of great concern to me and I felt it necessary to contact you directly to express my sincere apologies.
Please be assured that the problems you encountered have been redressed and, when you next visit the hotel, I will personally ensure that your stay with us is as comfortable and enjoyable as possible.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon to experience our normal standards.
Norwich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Stayed one night on business trip due to it's central location and competitive price. On approach the hotel looks un attractive but the car park is large and easily accessible. Check in was courteous and as I'd booked room only offered me breakfast for £8 which I accepted as I rarely eat a lot in the morning and would normally cost £13.95 if I decided to eat in the morning.
On the way to my room on the top (4th) floor, the corridors were cold but once in my room it was warmer and very well presented. Top marks to the house staff as it was clean and well appointed. Went down stairs for dinner and had to wait a while to be served my meal which was disappointing as it did not seem too busy. One observation was the communal areas of the bar and restuarant were tired and reminded me of the 70's and were not that appealing albeit were practical. The dinning room chairs I sat on for dinner and breakfast both had stains and could do with recovering or replacing.
I must admit to sleeping very well though - very comfie bed and a quiet room. I awoke refreshed. I did however incur an issue with the shower temperature control tap that meant I was unable to shower or fill the bath with hot water - so had to make do with a wash using the sink.
Breakfast too was uninspiring for me and the coffee as always in French owned hotels seemed more like treacle than coffee.
The positives for me were the bedroom and good nights sleep - the down sides were the hotel decor, cold corridors and the non functioning shower.
Would I return - probably yes but this hotel could be so much better.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
WiganOak, General Manager at Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Thank you for your review. I was sorry that not all aspects of your stay were to your satisfaction. If I may address the main points of concern:

I appreciate your concerns with regards to the heating of bedroom corridors however the decision was taken, in consideration of energy saving and environmental policy, that this would not be ethical.

The hotel recently underwent a radical programme of refurbishment, therefore I was a little surprised at your comments regarding the restaurant décor. I have spoken to the Restaurant Manager regarding your comments on the restaurant chairs.

I apologise that you experienced issues with the shower temperature. We would have been more than happy to correct this problem during your stay, had you brought this to our attention. The showers are fitted with an anti-scald safety button, which can be over-ridden. On occasion, guests have unfortunately turned the control valve the opposite way which lowers the temperature. I can assure you that the overall water temperature and pressure are monitored daily and we have had no issues recently.

Thank you for your kind comments with regards to the bedrooms and comfort of your stay. I do hope that we get the opportunity to welcome you back soon.
Oslo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Stayed one night at this hotel for the Wigan - Liverpool fixture. Got a great deal for a nice room, paid £69,-.

Nice location near city centre, where you`ll find alot of pubs, nightclubs etc. But the buzzing nightlife will not bother your good night sleep. Confy beds and friendly staff. Room was no thrills but did its job. Nothing to put my finger on during my stay at all. We did not try the breakfast.

I`ll stay here again for my NeXT Wigan trip in the future.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
WiganOak, General Manager at Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Thank you for your review, I was very pleased to read that your stay wish us was comfortable and enjoyable and am delighted that you would choose us for your next visit to Wigan.

Your comments regarding the staff were especially welcome and I hope that we get the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Been to Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel? Share your experiences!