“Nice place” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in Durham
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Nice place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014 via mobile

Husband and I stayed here on 2-4 August 2014. Room was clean, good size TV. Lots of tea, coffee etc. our chambermaid was an absolute angel, nothing too much trouble. Wish I could remember her name. Reception staff were very helpful too. The comfiest hotel bed we've ever slept in, so nice. Great that as a guest you get free access to the health club next door. Good size pool, jacuzzi, steam room. Didn't use the gym so can't comment. The only thing that annoyed us was everytime the jacuzzi came on again after it's cleaning break, loads of elderly people would suddenly appear from the steam room and into the jacuzzi so no room. It was like a scene from Cocoon. In the end we gave up as this happened 3/4 times in a row.
Overall though, a great place and we would definitely return.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel Durham, responded to this review, August 20, 2014
Dear Kelly P

Thank you for taking the time to post a positive comment about your recent stay at Bannatyne Hotel Durham.

I have been able to trace the housekeeper who serviced your room and have informed her about your comments and thanked her.

It is great that you were very happy with your room and that you managed to take advantage of the complimentary access to the Health Club and that you enjoyed the facilities on offer. I am sorry that demand for the spa pool was high at the time of your visit, hopefully next time there will be less people when you are using the facility.

I hope you are able to return soon.

Kind regards

Resort Manager - Durham Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
st.helens
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

I have stayed here several times when working away. Rooms are of good standard and bathrooms are modern. Lovely big freestanding shower as well as towel rail heater. Toilet does take a few flushes to get rid of toilet roll.
Nice flat screen telly with tea and coffee facilities. There is also a desk and sofa in the rooms. The bed looks huge when you go in but on the first night discovered this is 2 single beds pushed together. In the night this became very uncomfortable as the beds started to spilt apart from each other. I'm a sprawler when I sleep and can lie length ways in bed. This was uncomfy due to where the beds meet in the middle sticking in my back. Like I said I have been here several times and have got used to just sleeping on one side if the bed for comfort lol.
Rooms are cleaned to a good standard.
There is a health club which guests get full use of.
No complaints and would again book again.

• Stayed July 2014
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel Durham, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
Dear heathgirl2k3,

Thank you for your review regarding your previous visits to Bannatyne Hotel Durham. I am thrilled that you were happy with so many aspects of your previous visits and that you thought the facilities offered were very clean and offered you a “comfortable stay”. I am also happy to learn that you have had no complaints to report from your stays.

I and the team look forward to you visiting again soon.

Matthew Emery
Resort Manager - Durham Resort.
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

We stayed on a Saturday night in August 2014 and paid £60 for a standard double room.

Positives: Very clean room, linen and towels were high quality.
Free access to the adjacent health club which was great.
A walk from the town centre but £6/7 in a taxi which isnt too bad.
Very quiet - good nights sleep.
Front desk staff very friendly and helpful.

Negatives: Food choices in and around the hotel were very, very poor. The closest restaurant is a premier inn pub which was lacklustre to say the least. The health club has a cafe but its overpriced junk food. Paid £5 for a cup of coffee and some cereal!!!

A basic but clean hotel and wasnt unhappy with what I paid for it.

Room Tip: We had a ground floor room that I think was for disabled guests. We didnt mind, it was very large bu...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Teixeira0709,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at Bannatyne Hotel Durham. I am thrilled that you were happy with so many aspects of your stay and that you thought the facilities offered were very clean and that the linen was of a high quality.

The Hotel is close to a number of good quality local restaurants and themed bars, on your next visit why not ask at the Hotel reception for more details. I can confirm that a regular coffee is £1.50 and cereal is priced at £1.80 which I believe is very competitive. A hot freshly cooked breakfast can be purchased from as little as £3.95.

Resort Manager - Durham Resort
Bridlington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

This was my first time at a Bannatyne hotel. I've just started going to gyms, so when I saw there was free access to the gym, this was a no-brainer.

The room was quite large, bed was comfortable, room was well lit and had a good sized desk with lamp above. There was free wifi which was reasonably fast. I was able to stream Netflix to it reasonably reliably with only a couple of drops of signal. Bathroom was clean and shower was particularly large, so easy to get in and out of without feeling like you're in a sardine can.

Breakfast is apparently available in the cafe bar in the fitness centre, which is across the car park, about 3 minutes walk away. I didn't bother with this, because there is a large Tescos very close to the hotel where I got supplies.

My rate was about £60 for the night so, far cheaper than Durham centre hotels. The Bannatyne is about 4 miles from Durham. I went in the gym on both nights, which was easy to sort out. They give you a towel at the hotel reception, you sign in at the gym and go to the fitness centre on the first floor, where the changing rooms are also located. Would definitely return if in Durham.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel Durham, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Dear RobbyJBridlington,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at Bannatyne Hotel Durham. I am thrilled that you were happy with so many aspects of your stay and that you thought the facilities offered were of “Great value”.

I am really pleased that you choose to stay with us as you have recently started using a gym and that the complimentary use of our Health Club helped you make your decision.

On your next visit why not try the Health Clubs Café Bar for your breakfast, snacks or evening meal as prices are really competitive.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your positive feedback and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Resort Manager – Durham Resort
Taunton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

We ended up here in a disabled room as all the other rooms were taken. We paid extra for what should have been a superior room - there was plenty of space but I was uneasy. I felt our movements were being tagged for the simple reason that maybe they have to do this for health and safety reasons - at one stage there was a log-in alert that came from nowhere as if someone was turning on a tablet. The lighting in the room was so bad that my husband couldn't shave. The food was basic - over at the club house - we would have enjoyed our stay more had we had time to use the facilities. The staff were friendly but I won't be returning.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Bellringer2014,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review regarding your recent stay at Bannatyne Hotel Durham.

When you booked your stay that the Hotel that it was almost full and that the only room available included disabled facilities. These rooms are much larger and the bathroom area is designed as a general purpose wet room. I am not sure why you feel that you were “tagged”. The room is not fitted with any devises other than a pull cord to alert our staff for emergency incidents.

On your next visit why not try the Health clubs facilities for a more relaxing stay.

Liverpool
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

This isn't a bad hotel. The price is good; parking is plentiful and free; you get free access to the adjacent health club; there are regular buses into town and back (the journey takes 10 minutes or so). The lady at check in was very friendly.

Lack of air con has been pointed out in a number of reviews. Also - our room (30) had no bedside lights - yes, there were lights in the ceiling above the bed, but these were no use for reading. A particular problem that we had was that the loo didn't flush properly - having said this, I never raised it with the front desk, and I imagine the problem would have been sorted had I done so.

Despite these quibbles, it;s not a bad choice for Durham.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear misterpastry,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent review regarding your stay at Bannatyne Hotel, Durham.

I am happy that you found the Hotel to have some good points and that you thought that the price was good, with ample parking and that the local bus service met your needs.

The hotel is not fitted with air conditioning, however fans are available from reception on request for those warm evenings. The rooms are fitted with bedside lights and each room has a reading lamp.

Again thank you for taking the time to share your comments.

Penrith, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

I stay back in june it was very nice all the staff were just so happy in their job that was very nice to se lady called Alison was even nicer she could do any more for us . I will be coing back their.

Room Tip: I had a look at some rooms thay were all very nice
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
ManagementResponse02, General Manager at Bannatyne Hotel Durham, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Dear deborahbrown2014,

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful comment regarding your recent stay at Bannatyne Hotel Durham.

I will pass on your lovely comments regarding Alison as I am sure she will be really pleased as will the rest of the team.

The team and I look forward to your return.

Resort Manager – Durham Resort.

Been to Bannatyne Hotel Durham? Share your experiences!