“Excellent hotel, fantastic staff, good value for money” 5 of 5 stars

The Honest Lawyer Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Croxdale, Durham DH1 3SP, England   |
Ranked #8 of 19 hotels in Durham
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Excellent hotel, fantastic staff, good value for money”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2011

We feel it was time we gave the hotel a review we have used the hotel for the past 5 years. We have used this hotel on numerous occasions the staff are very helpful and i have to give the main receptionist Julie a special mention she is always helpful and cheerful and of course Chris the general manager who has come up through the ranks when our company first started using the hotel he was the bar man, quite an acheivement they all put a lot of effort into making the hotel a good place to stay.When the hotel flooded last year we had to use other hotels in the area and they were quite bad so it was a relief when the hotel reopened.The honest Lawyer make it more bearable when we have to work away we cannot fault it in any way the rooms are very well decorated and with the courtyard rooms we can see our vehicles which is a big bonus when carrying expensive equipment, when we are in the Durham area we would not consider staying any where else, we are very satisfied customers,well done everone

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this review, March 7, 2011
Dear artgalla

First of all I would like to thank you for leaving such a positive review regarding your experiences over the years. And as you mentioned you will have seen the noticable changes we have made since re-opening last May. It is always our pleasure when yourself and your work colleagues stay with ourselves making it a home from home when working away. I will pass all your kind words down to all departments, your words are constant reminder that we must always exceed our guests expectations on every visit.

We will look forward to welcome you back very soon.

Chris Bowron
Best Western Honest Lawyer Hotel.

505 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2011

We stayed here with a group of friends to celebrate New Year's Eve .
- our room was both very well appointed and comfortable (and we liked access to free WiFi) and it was great to be able to park right next to it so there was no hiking our suitcases about
- the staff were brilliant, warm and friendly and nothing was too much trouble for them (they all clearly enjoyed working at the Honest Lawyer).
- the meals were delicious and a credit to the chef and there was a really friendly atmosphere thoughout.
- it was much closer to the centre of Durham than we thought.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2011
Dear pvallon

I would first of all like to thank you for your kind words regarding your recent stay with ourselves. I'm delighted you found the food delicious and the service you recieved exceeded your expectations. I will pass on all your comments to each department, your words are a constant reminder that to all of us that we are moving in the right direction. We do hope to see you again in the not to distant future.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2011

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for three nights from the seventh to the tenth of feb, we were using our tesco vouchers as we have done on numourous occasions, and usually stay at best western hotels. This hotel was very nice as they usually are, thats why we choose best western if we can. I agree with most of the reviews I have read about the hotel, but would just like to add a couple of my own comments. The room we stayed in was lovely, warm, comfortable with everything you could need, unfortunately it was at the front of the hotel and the traffic noise was not very nice! We also thought the breakfast was a little dissapointing, compered to other hotels, the first morning the bacon was over cooked, the second morning it strangely tasted of fish(my husband seems to think it had been prepared near to or after cooking fish) we did tell the waitress, she apologised but that was it, so on the third morning we just had continental! Just wanted to make these comments to enable you to rectify these problems. All in all it was a nice break, we usually like to come up north because we always get a warm welcome, and good value

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this review, February 18, 2011
Dear lamad0s

First of all I would like to thankyou for all your positive comments that you have made in your recent review. Im so please you received a very warm welcome and the accomodation exceeded your expectations. Regarding your experience at breakfast this was metioned on my returned by a food & beverage member of staff, which I have fully investigated since and I can reassure you this has issue has been dealt with, as we pride ourselves in exceeding our guests expectations in all areas. Thanks again for you custom, and we would be delighted to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Best Western Honest Lawyer Hotel
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2011

Me and my husband made a last minute booking, the day before as a spur of the moment break. We hadnt been away for 6years and hoped it would be something special. When we arrived the welcome was great, we were very impressed by the hotel as soon as we entered. We went down into the bar for drinks before eating in the restaurant. It was steak night, 2 steaks and a bottle of wine for 25pounds, grat value and delicious. We had starters and deserts also which were grand. The service was amazing and the deco and comfort of the bar, restaurant and rooms was delightful. Breakfast was also delicious. It was a wonderful stay and we will hopefully be returning very soon. Would reccommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this review, February 8, 2011
Dear sarahfiler

First of all I would like to thankyou personally for your kind words you have left in your recent review. I'm so pleased you thought the decor, rooms & service exceeded your expectations and were to the highest standard., and you both throughly enjoyed our steak night offerand the starters and desserts were delicious too. I will pass all your comments down to the team, your words are a constant reminder to us all that we are exceeding our guests expectations. Since you had not been away for more than 6 years, I'm thrilled you spent such a memorable evening with ourselves. We will look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2011

Great hotel for the money and wonderful service. Breakfast is good, meals were excellent. Rooms very comfy. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed January 2011
Dear Battyboy133

First of all I would like to start by thanking you for all your kind words in your recent review. I.m delighted to hear you thought we were excellent value for money and you recieved wonderful service during your stay. I'm so pleased you enjoyed your breakfast and the meals you received were of the highest standard. Your comments will be passed down to all departments which is a constant reminder to us all what we are acheiving on a day to day basis. We will look forward to welcoming you back in the not to distant future.

Alloa, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2011

We were given the gift of a few days away by my mother as a wedding gift as we couldn't go abroad. In one word it was fantastic and so glad my mum booked the Best Western.
We were lucky enough to have the breakfast and evening meal as part of our package and the food was amazing.
On arrival to our room a member of staff brought us a bottle of bubbly and some orange juice as I'm pregnant and they made a fuss which was lovely after only few days of being married. Room was spacious and couldn't complain and the bathroom was also lovely especially with a jacuzzi bath (stayed in many hotels and never had one)
Hubby is a chef and I've worked within restaurant industry and we were both very impressed (which is a hard task). As I said food was spectacular and couldn't ask for anything better we tried something different each night and the breakfast was equally as good and no faults could be found. Staff were so friendly and made you feel at ease and a very comfortable atmosphere.
Can't really say much more than that, we both would visit again and think anyone visiting Durham to give this hotel a try - you definately wont be disappointed :)

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this review, January 25, 2011
Dear mc_8682

First of all I would like to thankyou for such amazing comments in your review, I'm delighted the service & quality of food you recieved exceeded your expectations during your stay. I will pass all your comments down to all departments, your words are a constant source of motivation to us all. Also i would like to add, coming from a couple that is a Chef and worked in the Industry on F.O.H your words will give our team a further boast.

Again thanks for all your comments and we will look forward to welcome you both back in the not too distant future.

Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2011

My family enjoyed Christmas day lunch at this brilliant hotel. From making the original booking in August, the service from the staff team was without exception some of the best I have experienced. The food was excellent and the attention to detail first class. The whole staff team worked extremely hard to create a wonderful ambiance and atmosphere. We had two young children in the party and they were both made to feel welcome and comfortable. The whole experience made a lovely family Christmas all the more special. We are celebrating a special family birthday soon and will have no hesitation in booking it here.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this review, January 10, 2011
Dear gabriel023

I would like to thank you personally for all your amazing comments about the food and service you all recieved on Christmas Day. I had the pleasure in working that day and the feedback was really touching, all the staff throughly enjoyed working Christmas Day and found it a very relaxing atmposphere also. I also would like to thank you both for sending me an e-mail at the hotel I will pass all your comments down to my staff, this is a constant motivation to us all that we are exceeding our guests expectations. We would be thrilled if yourself and friends become regular diners at the hotel, and maybe even book early for Christmas next year.

Thanks again.

Best Western Honest Lawyer Hotel

Been to The Honest Lawyer Hotel? Share your experiences!