“Cheap, cheerful and functional” 4 of 5 stars

The Honest Lawyer Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Croxdale, Durham DH1 3SP, England   |
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Durham
London, UK
“Cheap, cheerful and functional”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

This place sounds like a pub with rooms; it isn't. It's a motel, with most of the rooms around the edge of the car park and a main building with a restaurant and bar. If you need a place to sty on the edge of Durham and don't plan spending too much time in your room (not that there was anything wrong with it), it's absolutely fine. If you arrive late and need a meal, I'd guess the grub is adequate, but I doubt that it's a gastronomic experience (our cabbie said it was popular for Sunday lunch).

Pros: Cheap (£60/night for a double room, no brekkie, brekkie £8.95pp). Friendly staff, well run. Clean room. Usual mod cons; TV, hairdryer etc. Decent enough shower. Easy to find. Dog friendly. Decent but not great buffet brekkie. Most rooms overlook fields.

Cons: Not within walking distance of city centre. Double bed a bit small. Bar/restaurant lacking in atmos.

It's nothing exciting, but it gets 4 stars for being good value and friendly. I'll probably stay there again when I need to visit Durham.

Room Tip: I suspect that they're all the same.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Dear theblackhand,
Thank you for your review of the hotel, i'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that everything was to your liking. For the benefit of future guests however, I would like to point out that we serve food all day in our bar & restaurant, which has been awarded an AA Rosette for our high standards of food and service since 2011, and is popular with residents & non residents alike. I do hope that if you return to the hotel in the near future you will be able to experience the quality of food that we offer here at the hotel.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Unsal Aydin, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

Great hotel! Only a small walking distance from the square. They attended to our needs in a way that was far beyond our expectations. Will definitely stay here again if I plan on visiting Durham once more.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear Melanie P,
Thank you for your kind review of the Honest Lawyer Hotel, i'm very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

Probably the best value in Durham, a clean and decent motel-style hotel, not exciting but the main building and the bars are quite pretty to look at and the welcome is tolerant and easy-going - and no difficulty with accepting our large and boisterous young dog.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Peter A,
Thank you for your review of the hotel, i'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that everything was to your liking, and i'm especially pleased that you found us to be good value for money in Durham. I do look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

UK,England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

I stayed here recently and found the rooms to be very nice. The only problem with this place is the noise in the rooms. I was in a courtyard room and as soon as i arrived i noticed a noise in my room. This went on all night. I come to the conclusion that it was whenever someone flushed the toilet. So i managed to get to sleep at approx 1am then i was woke up at 02:50 and 04:10 with the noise then woke up again at 07:50 when it went off all the time again. Once the noise of the toilet flushing stopped i had the noise of the pipes to the radiator to try block out, this made a single tapping noise every 20 seconds or so even when the radiator was turned off. Cleaners were outside the doors from quite early and were quite noisy , i decided to give up on sleep at about 08:15.

I would not come back to this hotel based only on the noise, the rooms are to standard for the star rating of this hotel

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Dear suse8,
Thank you for your review of the hotel. I must apologise for the issues that you have had with the noise in your rooms, I have certainly passed your comments onto our Maintenance Manager to see where we can improve this so that you & future guests will not be disturbed.
I do hope that this one experience has not put you off stay at The Honest Lawyer, and we hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future

Oldham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

The Hotel was clean, comfortable, the room was of a good standard and the staff were very helpful, on our request changing part of the booking during the week before our stay. It provided very good value for money. I would be happy to stay at the hotel again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Neil M,
Thank you for your review of The Honest Lawyer Hotel, i'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that everything was to your liking, we certainly look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future, and I am especially delighted that you found us to be very good value for money.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014 via mobile

We stopped here as a stop-gap to see Durham. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the room was comfortable. Compared with other hotel prices this was certainly a bargain and the benefit of having an onsite car-park meant that we could leave our car and take a bus into Durham City. The bus stop is directly outside the hotel so very convenient and runs every 10-12 minutes.

I was also very impressed by the food here. We dined at their onsite restaurant Baileys, and were very impressive. Good quality locally sourced homely food that was beautifully presented. Breakfast was equally lovely - not the usual buffet brekkie but instead freshly prepared and a selection of choices including full english/smoked kippers. Wld definitely stay again.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Sumana2012,
Thank you for your review of The Honest Lawyer, i'm very pleased that everything was to your liking and that you found us to be good value for money. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

We stayed here last weekend! Mistake and never to be repeated! We were given room 36 and immediately in the room the loud and internittent noise ofa fan/pump intruded ! We asked to be moved and this was done immediately but to the last available room! The noise was not so bad in terms if noise as room 35 but still apparent! What was worse was the state of the filthy bedding !!
We showed this to the receptionist and head housekeeper who said it should never have been put in the bed! We paid our bill in full we were told the manager would be in touch to discuss-that never happened! No apology! We are very reasonable people and rarely complain but felt we needed to this time!

• Stayed May 2014
HonestLawyerHotel, General Manager at The Honest Lawyer Hotel, responded to this review, May 26, 2014
Dear Budapestperson,

Thank you for your review. When I came into work on the Sunday that you checked out, my Head Housekeeper did go through your complaint with me. Upon inspection when I personally went to the room, I realised that the marks on the sheet were from our laundry company, and when I called them the next day they explained that they do a Steam press on the sheets and that there was a faint spillage of hydraulic oil. I completely agree with you that the sheet should not have been put onto the bed, we do pride ourselves with our levels of cleanliness and we will make sure that this does not happen again. I do apologise that you weren’t called back, however I was informed by Reception that you were handed my business card and I was actually waiting for a call at a time which was convenient for you. I do hope that this one experience has not put you off returning to the hotel, and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Unsal Aydin

Been to The Honest Lawyer Hotel? Share your experiences!