“It used to be quite good!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #108 of 253 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: English
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
“It used to be quite good!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011 via mobile

About 3 years back I used to visit once every 5 or 6 weeks for a bite to eat with friends.
Not now, I had a poor experience earlier this year but after a gap of 4 or 5 months we tried again, to find it worse.
Staff were indifferent and food mediocre at best. Very poor value.
Never again!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Ickenham
“Friendly but must try harder”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

The staff were exceptionally friendly and the menu looked excellent. I had the Ox cheek, my wife had the roast pork. It wasn't a bad meal by any means, but there were really basic errors, like the fat on the pork hadn't been crisped up and was still white and soggy. I know they've just changed hands and everyone is very enthusiastic so I don't want to be too critical, but they need to improve the quality of the cooking if they want to draw people out of Durham town.

• Visited September 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Durham
“Lovely Food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011

We visited on a Tuesday evening and although the pub was very quiet we had a lovely time. It is very nicely decorated and the service was excellent - we didn't even have to go to the bar to order our drinks! The food arrived in good time and you could tell it was home made - I had some very nice ham and eggs with fab chips and my husband had tomato and courgette soup (with tons of tomatoes in) and then the curry which he enjoyed (although it was very "hot").
Overall we were very impressed - my only complaints were that it was actually quite cold inside (possibly because it was quite empty) and when I ordered a cup of tea the water in the pot wasn't very warm. We would definitely go back however and hopefully more people will discover this place too as it was a shame to see it so quiet.

• Visited August 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“New Management, New Appearance/menu - give it a go!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

I had not been here before, but on arrival for Sunday dinner I could see that it had just been re-opened and there were signs of new decor. Food first; My steak pie and home made chips were just lovely, with a huge puff pastry lid. My partners' pork Sunday roast was (he tells me) really nice with plenty of meat, veg, roast potatoes and a huge yorkshire pud! What is important here, is that all the veg, pie, chips, yorkshires etc were proper "home" cooked (not bought in plastic reheated stuff) and it really was lovely. I would whole heartedly recommend the food here. In addition, the service was very efficient, welcoming and friendly. However...my only down point - which in fairness may be because they are still in the process of "re-opening" was that none of the tables were laid (completely bare!) and the place lacked some aesthetics - pictures, plants, flowers - it needed anyting to stop it looking so bare, unwelcoming and well, looking net yet quite open! But do not let that put you off, as I say, it may still be a work-in-progress!

• Visited August 2011