“Disappointing 'burger van' burger” 3 of 5 stars

Kings Head Hotel
and 1 more site!
You added Kings Head Hotel to your Saves list
Kings Head Hotel
Station Road, Lanchester village | on the A167 between Durham to Consett, Durham DH7 0EX, England   |
Ranked #26 of 43 Durham B&B and Inns
Durham
“Disappointing 'burger van' burger”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

The staff and service were great and as helpful as you'd expect on a busy lunchtime with a Newcastle match on, potato skins lush to start, but thoroughly disappointing burger. Lush onion rings, coleslaw and chips, but ruined by the cheap 'burger van' burger... might be back, but there's plenty of other places to eat around and about, so I doubt it...

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
County Durham, UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

I'm a resident of Lanchester and I've now gotten to the point where I travel away from the village for pub food as I've had so many experiences of dreadful service in the Kings Head. The hotel is in an idyllic spot and has all the facilities that are needed to make it a really successful venue..........................except effective customer service.

Of my past 5 visits to the restaurant the record reads

a. left 3 times after waiting for mare than half an hour for someone to take our order.
b. Waited twice because we were with visitors who had traveled a long way to see us.

On the two occasions when we waited with our visitors we had one occasion when the service was reasonable. on the other occasion, it took 20 minutes for someone to take our order \(that only happened because one of my visitors got up and sought out a waitress to complain) and 1 hr 20 minutes for our main courses to turn up. I found it acutely embarrassing to put my visitors through that sort of experience and for that reason I've stopped eating there.

The food itself is usually OK but not any better. The real problem is that the restaurant is run on minimum wage staffing and there is no management available. As a result the locals are well aware that the service is dreadful and don't use it for occasions. It's a great shame as it could be such a real asset for the village.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Durham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

Been here a few times for drinks and food - staff are friendly and helpful. The food from the menu is usually very good with generous portions, but when we went to a mexican night the food was average as it was buffet style and some of it was cold. I will still be coming here again but will stick to the normal menu,

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Shotley Bridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012 via mobile

I stopped at the kings head for lunch with a friend who I hadnt seen in a while. The beginning was fine, seated near the window, drinks order taken straight away and given just enough time to decide on food. I couldnt fault the initial service but once our food had arrived a few more staff had started the shift and clearly had nothing to do. Myself and my friend then had to keep stopping our conversation as we couldnt hear each other over the giggling and throwing left over chips off the floor around. The staff continued to behave this way and talk loudly about who was on holiday and who was calling who names. The food, however, was lovely but let down when the chef came out of the kitchen to talk to the waitress, proceeded to walk near our table and let out a loud yawn. I wouldn't expect this from any waitress anywhere. Atrocious.

• Stayed August 2012
doncaster
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

I stayed and ate here with my wife for one night as we were visiting the Beamish museum.
Car parking, plenty, loads of room even for my ford Ranger truck.

The room, was spot on no problems at all, everything you would need was provided including hairdryer and iron etc.
Nice big comfy bed and good clean bathroom.

Restaurant, brilliant, menu prices were inexpensive and guests got 20% off as well.
I ordered potato skins to start, and when they came it was almost a main meal, loads of them.
Main course was chicken fajitas, again absolutely loads, im a big lad and i couldn't finish it all!

Bar, excellent, loads of beers and spirits to chose from at not mega expensive prices.

I would go again without any hesitation.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Durham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

We finally get some good weather and decided to go to the Kings Head for an early evening meal. We didn't book and just turned up and although it was busy the staff managed to fit us in if we ate at the bar which was fine. The food when it came was very well presented and tasted really good. The staff were very polite and helpful.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Durham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

Booked for lunch at 2pm.very busy on arrival and our presence acknowledged after 10 mins. Advised of problem in kitchen and wd we like to take a seat in the bar and we would be called within 10 minutes.
It was actually 30 minute wait and then another 30 minutes wait at the table and still no order taken. Several of the staff were less than helpful. Never again!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Kings Head Hotel? Share your experiences!