“Thrown out for using a computer!!” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #169 of 257 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: Coffee Shop
Durham, United Kingdom
“Thrown out for using a computer!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

I was thrown out for daring to use my pc whilst having a coffee! When I asked why, the response was "because I am in charge!"
What a horrible rude man the manager of this mediocre establishment is. Coffee was so-so and sandwiches were dryed out. My advice to you is please do not visit this place because both it and the horrible little man who runs it are ghastly.

• Visited June 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Durham, United Kingdom
“Once and never again!!! Beware female visitors!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

I decided to give this place a go as it was the only place with tables available. There was a reason for that. The service is APPALLING. I got myself a quiche, a smoothie and a cappuccino. Then decided to enjoy my food while finishing an assignment for my Masters degree in my laptop. It's something I had done in many other places in Durham with no issues. While I was eating my food I was undisturbed. The quiche was old, the smoothie too sweet and the cappuccino quite bad as the coffee had been burned. However I had already ordered it and I was in the middle of finishing my assignment. As soon as I finished eating, the owner came to me and ordered me out. There were plenty of tables available and now I understand why. When I said to the owner that I had ordered food, he said "Turn the computer off now!". I asked why and he said "because I'm in charge". When I pointed out that there were two more gentlement using their computers in the cafe he said " Turn it off or get out" and walked away from me. I was the oonly woman in the place using a computer so obviously he saw me as an easy target for his abuse. Not only the owner is rude and obviously odd in his head. The tables were dirty and the food quite bad. Not surprisingly it was the only place with tables available in all Durham. AVOID THIS PLACE LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!

• Visited July 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
durham city
“Friendly, good quality and lovely atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

I have just read the reviews about the staff not being child friendly. I am a regular visitor with my hubby and 2 children, they always joke on with my children and have an excellent rapport with other customers too. I find it hard to believe that staff have been unfriendly....there are always young children in the place! The owners who are a married couple, are wonderful and their staff are lovely too. They take your order and serve it at your table, which is extremely rare these days.
Coffee is a 'proper' coffee and always piping hot and lots of variety of other hot drinks....they give skinnies if you ask. Cakes are lush too.....oh I must mention their scones....gorgeous, and they heat them if you want them too.
Contemporary setting and immaculate. TRUST ME, GIVE IT A GO x

• Visited May 2012
“quality place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

Food - spot on
Service - excellent
Value - cheapest coffee in durham! But the most delicious!
Atmosphere- cosy, welcoming, you can watch the world go by through them huge windows amd comfy seats
An absolutly lovely place. Will defenetly return!

“BEST cafe in durham!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2011

this is truely the best cafe in durham we have been a lot of times in the last year and staff have always been very friendly and happy to help.

i have 2 small children and staff are always really good with them, we first discovered the cafe as i needed somewhere to take my 6 day old newborn baby to breastfeed and have been almost every time weve been to durham since then and have never had any problems in fact im quite upset by the comment below, my 4 year old daughter loves going here.

they have a lovely choice of smoothies and herbal/fruit teas as well as coffes, teas hot chocolates etc and the muffins are the best. my eldest daughter is really fussy for where she goes so if she didnt like it here i would sharp know about it!

we will definatly be returning here, its our favourite pitstop!

• Visited June 2011