“Just ok” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Dessert, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
England
“Just ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

My partner and I called in here for lunch today. As it was a nice day we decided to sit outside, I popped inside to ask whether we just take a seat or wait to be seated and was told to just take a seat and there'd be someone over to take our order. We sat down and had a look through the menu, they had a few items on a lunch menu and we both opted for the burgers with chorizo so waited for the waitress to appear to take our order. This took about 15 minutes and I admit I was getting close to leaving as I could already here a few grumbles from other tables about the service being slow at that point but we placed our order and waited for our drinks. After another 10 minutes or so our drinks came, then we had to wait another 20 minutes for food. The burgers looked very impressive, huge solid burgers but just served with fries, similar to MacDonalds ones which was a little disappointing considering how much the meal cost. Whilst the burger was very filling, it actually didn't have a great deal of flavour so I had to put more salt on to bring the flavour out.

After seeing someone wait over 10 minutes for their bill ( and still waiting ) I decided to pop inside to pay as I thought it would be quicker. The gentleman asked how everything was so I said the meal itself was nice but the service a little slow, I thought why lie when thats how I felt, but he seemed a little annoyed or put out at the criticism.

Overall a very nice setting, especially on a nice day, and the waitresses were friendly but the service was slow and food just ok so for the price not somewhere I'd rush back to, especially as it took over an hour to just get a burger and chips.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Aughton, United Kingdom
“Awful, please, don't waste your money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

There were dead flies on the table cloth, the waitress rolled her eyes when my daughter mentioned it.....this is the point we should have left! The table was situated in a cramped draughty place, (6pm in the evening one other table occupied), when we asked to be moved it was made obvious that this was a major inconvenience to the staff. The food was bland and unappetising. If you like a slab of steak and don't mind flies on the table and poor service this is the place for you BUT if you prefer flavoursome food in clean pleasant surroundings look for somewhere else.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“bar person very professional and knowledgeable.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

we enjoyed our meal and drinks both on the terrace and inside the restaurant.tomato soup was spicy and tasty.steak was good,however mushrooms very greasy.overall good value for money-service received was excellent.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Durham, United Kingdom
“great place for a party”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

I recently celebrated a wedding anniversary at The Cellar Door. We had approx 130 people there and we had an amazing night. We had the sole and full use of the terraces as well as the downstairs area close to the kitchen. The planning was statrted about a year before and every couple of months we would be contacted for a progress update. The staff were always polite and friendly if at time a little harrassed by my guests demands.
Chris the chef did a top job on the food and everyone was and still are talking about how good the food was.
There was a bit of an issue with the music but this was eventually sorted out.
I would whole heartedly recommend the Cellar door to anyone either for intimate dining or a full blown party. It is a great location, just perfect. A massive thankyou to all those that helped out.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Durham, United Kingdom
“A little gem is the cellar door”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Went with a group of friends and had a really good night.The staff were attentive and very good service was just the right pace not too pushy and not too slow.the food was very good and nobody in our party had any complaints about the quality of food or the service.Our waiter was very knowledgeable about the wine and draught lagers.I would return to this restaurant again.

• 5 of 5 stars Food