“Enjoyable stay in a lovely city” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Plan ahead and save 20%
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Durham
Dumfries
“Enjoyable stay in a lovely city”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2010

The Radisson Blu Hotel is just a five minute walk across the river into the centre of Durham. We stayed in a Business Class room on the 4th floor of the hotel which had very pleasant views across the river towards the city centre and also Durham Castle and Cathedral.
Check-in was handled quickly and efficiently by a very helpful member of the reception team. The hotel is less than 2 years old and is extremely well appointed throughout..
The Filini Restaurant is the place for breakfast, lunch and dinner and the Filini Bar is a pleasant stop off for a relaxing drink.
Other facilities in the hotel include the Pace Health Club and Emmanais Beauty Salon.
Beamish Open Air Museum and the Bowes Museum are just a short drive from the hotel and well worth a visit.
We did not stay for dinner in the hotel choosing instead to visit one of the many restaurants available just minutes away in the city centre.
We did have a very enjoyable breakfast in the restaurantthe following morning prior to checking out of the hotel to continue on our journey.
We discovered on our arrival at the hotel that it was possible to upgrade to a Business Class Room for an additional cost of £30. The complementary sevices included in the Business Class room make the additional cost very good value and would thoroughly recommend it.
We had an extremely enjoyable stay in this hotel and would highly recommend it to anyone visiting Durham on business or for leisure.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
NHollowayGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Durham, responded to this review, July 29, 2010
Thank you for the excellent review of the hotel here and for taking the effort to describe the hotel so well
I look forward to welcoming you back to Durham soon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2010

We stayed at the hotel for just one night. The room was comfortable, beautifully furnished, well designed and immaculate. The staff were helpful and courteous. The leisure facilities were of a very high standard. The gym looked well equiped but I did not have time to try it out. The only down side was that the breakfast could have been slightly better. The bacon, egg and sausage were not up to standard however there were plenty of other choices. The location was perfect with just a short walk along the river to the heart of Durham. We look forward to staying in a Radisson again soon

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the positive review here and for taking the time to post it
I am glad you enjoyed our excellent leisure facilities
We will be rolling out new breakfast standards in September to enhance the breakfast experience even further
Darlington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

the location of the hotel is fantastic. I attended a conference, apart from the lunch everything was well organised. The rooms are fantatic. the views beautiful.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Thank you for the review of the hotel
I am pleased that you like the location and the fantastic views we have
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon
Cumbria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2010

Hotel is really well placed for sightseeing just a few minutes walk from the city centre. The room was really big and although it was a really hot weekend the air con worked well so we slept well. The breakfast was average and its all self service even including the tea and coffee. The waitress who showed us to the table didn't tell us this which caused a bit of confusion. Overall though we'd rate this as a great hotel in a good location.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay in the hotel and I hope to see you back again soon
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2010

We stayed here for just one night recently when visiting Durham to go to the theatre. I have to say we got a great deal at the last minute for about half the advertised price so I was prepared to be impressed as long as everything worked. In the event, I was really pleased with this hotel.
The check in was quick and pleasant with easy parking (this is quite a plus in Durham!). The room was relatively large and well furnished with lots of wardrobe space, decent bathroom and TV etc. The only thing that confused me was the minibar - which was just empty. This was fine for us (as we only needed to chill the drinks we'd brought with us) but what if you actually wanted something?
We didn't use the restaurant but did take a nightcap in the bar - which was ok and reasonabl;y priced. Best thing though is the location. A nice riverside setting with a footbridge across the river immediately outside. So handy - just a few minutes to the theatre and the town centre. Couldn't be easier.
This is my latest favourite place to stay in Durham - but do search for a deal as I'd say it's more 3 start+ than 4 star.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a positive review about the hotel and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Radisson Durham soon
EC1
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2010

I stayed there this weekend for 3 nights. I went to visit my sister who has 2 young toddlers.
On Sunday morning, the 2 year old slept in my bed for an hour whilst we drank tea in the room. Unfortunately, his feet were a bit dirty (he'd been running around in bare feet) and he was also eating crisps (bought from room service). This was before my room had been made up that day.

Hours later I returned to my room (about 10pm) and to my horror I found my bed 'made up' but my sheets still dirty and gritty. I phoned reception who said sheets are changed every "2 or 3 days".

The same sheets on my bed for 3 days is UNACCEPTABLE. The only reason people stay in a hotel is, basically, to rent a bed for the night. 3 days with dirty sheets is a joke.

• Stayed June 2010
Woking, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2010

I have stayed at the Radisson a few times now and have generally been happy with the services.

I stayed there in December 09 in a business class room, which was fantastic. I stayed there again in May and the experience had changed slightly. The hotel underwent some changes and actually reduced the number of Business Class rooms, as customers were mainly booking the standard rooms, hence the change should give them more capacity.

I stayed in a standard room this time, which has 2 single beds joined together, to create a sort of double bed....but they give you 2 single duvets!? Seems a bit silly to me, but all I had to do was call reception to have them send a double up. Also the room service food is very expensive and isn't all that great. I had the Radisson Black and Blue Burger, but it was greasy and the chips were not nice at all, plus a 1 ltr bottle of water is £4.90!!!!!

The Filini restaurant is very very over priced for the quality of the food. By all means it's nice, but not worth the amount they charge. (i.e. >£20 for steak!).

The gym and pool are nice and it only takes a couple of minutes to walk into town, where there are much more reasonably priced restaurants. Another big bonus is that Internet Access is free, as opposed to the Mariott which charges £15 for 24 hours!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
NHollowayGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Durham, responded to this review, June 7, 2010
Thank you for your review of the hotel.
I am sorry that you found our food and beverage outlets expensive but pleased that you enjoyed our gym, pool, fantastic city centre location and our comlimentary wi-fi
I look foward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon

Been to Radisson Blu Hotel, Durham? Share your experiences!