“Food OK, room awful” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #33 of 44 Durham B&B and Inns
Gateshead, United Kingdom
“Food OK, room awful”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

We stayed for one night as we were meeting family from Durham for a meal and rather then drive home four of us booked 2 rooms to stay over - big mistake. Our room was so small the bed did not fit, it had to be put on a diagonal and there was hardly any room to get round. The bathroom had a sliding door and to be honest needed a complete overhaul. There was mould around the bath, on the tiles and was like going back in time 30 years.
The food was good however, the bar area is OK and the staff were friendly but are let down by the generally run down appearance of the rooms.
By all means go there for a drink or a meal but we would not recommend staying.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
North East England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I am from the local area and used to visit this pub regularly on Sunday walks with my family. It had been some time (5years?) since i had visited. Me and my boyfriend have recently moved back to the area so decided to go for a meal. We were offered a table almost immediately. The lasy who served us was very pleasent and attentive. We didnt have to wait long for food/drinks.
I ordered a pizza which was delicious! However I am a vegetarian and there wasnt much at all on the menu I would eat (Pizza or veg,lasagne) My boyfriend ordered Lasagne which came with chips and salad. He enjoyed the food but said the portion was very small. After dinner we sat in the lounge and had another drink. The atmosphere was nice and relaxing. Would go back again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hull
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

This B&B was probably the worst i have ever seen, the double room was that small that the bed had to be horizontal and there was no room for bedside tables, the bathroom door was a slide door that wouldn't close shut, there was mold all round the bath, on the tiles , in the overflow of the sink and on the ceiling, there were holes in the wall and it smelt very fusty, the bedside lamps which were on a small shelf were all broken and the inside of the kettle was disgusting. As for the full english breakfast it only consisted of egg, sausage, bacon and beans (no tomato, no mushrooms, no black pudding etc) the food was ok but the beer was cloudy and awful. They demand the payment before you have seen the room (no wonder really as if you saw the room first they wouldn't have anyone staying) The only nice thing i can say is the sheets were clean, but the bed was so uncomfortable with spring digging in us. The noise from the bar was loud and we didn't get any sleep at all. If we had any other place to go we would have gone. Will never go there again and will try and warn everyone else not to go. No toiletries. How it got 3 stars i have no idea.

Room Tip: The banister is loose and unsafe.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
essex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Having visited the North a few weeks earlier we decided we needed to return to finish visiting places we had missed first time round. The Inn is on the main bus route to Durham and the trip took about 15 mins into Durham Town Centre. The Beamish Living Museum was a 20 minute drive away. Other excellent castles, museums and the Pennine Range are within an hours journey. This Inn suited our purposes beautifully. We booked in for four nights b&b. The hotel is dated and could do with an update but on the whole it was clean, tidy, lovely local beer and great food both breakfast and evening meals. Our room was a nice size with a comfy bed, tv, double wardrobe and tea/coffee supplies. The bathroom was a good size with a shower over the bath. The owner and her brother were very friendly as were the staff. We would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for room number 4
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
preston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

We arrived to a small damp double room, no toiletries in the bathroom , all in all very old fashioned. The bar was no better, dark and dingy. There was a private party that night and we might as well have been at the party as the noise in our bedroom was unbelievable, we could not here our selves think. When we went down to complain the bar waiter said he only worked there and then walked away.

Brekfast was the worst I have ever eaten. My husband had the full english which arrived on a saucer. There was no menu, just a waitress who did not speak very good english and said
"what do you want" I asked for scramble egg and sausages, this arrived and the scramble egg was so watery it had spread all over the plate. We asked for a pot of tea for two which came with one tea bag and was like drinking water

The whole experience was like stepping back into the dark ages, there is a travel lodge down the road, I would stay there if i was you, its alot cheaper

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Newcastle, England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Bought a living social voucher, but when I rang to book was told that - even though there were a few days before expiry I could not use the voucher as they were fully booked. When I questioned this the gentleman (who was quite rude at times) told me "these have been out for months and you should have used it before now" as it happens we have a new born and decided to use it once he was settled enough to be with us. The man then asked "well when did you buy the voucher" trying to force his point which I explained that was not the point and none of his business. He told me to ring the landlady who would be in at 6. I tried 3 further times to speak to her with no success, the third of these times being told "she's too busy to speak" so I twice left my name and number and she has not returned the call hence my review on here rather than trying to sort it out over the phone. I am now left with a useless and now out of date voucher. And as for being fully booked, seems strange when my friend rang to see about a table on saturday night he was told to turn up and it would probably be ok...if you do not have the capacity or desire to provide for these vouchers then do not allow living social to sell them. Shame as my Mam and Dad bought the same voucher and enjoyed their meal... No need for rude staff and not returning calls.

Stayed August 2012
Morpeth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

Two days work in the vicinity and I needed a comfortable, and as a woman travelling alone, safe place to stay; I found it here. The welcome was excellent, good parking, real pub, real beer (although not a beer drinker myself, I recognised the names on the taps!) good food, well cooked and served by smiling and helpful lady, a comfortable, if somewhat dated room, with a lovely bath as well as the shower. I had to leave too early to enjoy a breakfast, but, if the homemade pizza I enjoyed the night before was a typical example of the standard of food, then I missed a treat. On the downside, I asked for a single room, which would have been £38 including breakfast, but I didn't want breakfast as I had to leave too early to enjoy and was offered a discount. As they didn't actually have a single available I had to have a double at £40.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Lambton Hounds Inn? Share your experiences!