“Horrendous, don't even bother. Look somewhere else.” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
UK
“Horrendous, don't even bother. Look somewhere else.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2010

I had read previous tripadvisor reviews about this restaurant, and the general consensus was to avoid breakfast. I was staying at the adjoining Travelodge and, bearing the reviwes I had read in mind, I avoided breakfast at this place, and instead had my evening meal there.

Well, where do I start. I walked in and although there were two members of staff talking to eachother at the bar, neither of them came over to seat me. I waited for a couple of minutes, and then seated myself. At this point some sour-faced woman broke away from her conversation and attended to me. She snapped that I was sitting at a table for four - there were only 5 other people in the place. Nevertheless I moved tables at her request.

I had a menu thrown in front of me without a single word. After a further 15 minutes (yes fifteen) she returned to take my drinks order. Then another waitress came to take my food order, with the sour-faced one stood behind her.

I asked for the Buffalo Mozzarella and Tomato salad. I got a blank look, and was told that they couldn't do that. When I pointed out that it was on the menu, the woman stood behind retorted that I meant the Caprece salad.

This was then served in a matter of seconds, it has clearly been pre-prepared and just waiting for me to order. I'm not sure how long it had been sitting for but the mozzarella was almost runny.

Skip now to the end of the meal. I had to ask to pay the bill, because their lack of attentiveness had failed to see that i had finished. They brought over the bill, and then failed to notice that I had produced a credit card. Again I asked if I could pay.

Perhaps at this point given everything else that had happened, I should have asked if they accepted AMEX cards. The girl appeared completely perplexed when I handed her this card, the same sort of look as if I had handed her a hand grenade. She laughed and said I don't think we can accept this in this country.

I eventually settled up on a different card, and left the restaurant with the two female waitresses sharing a joke between themselves.

This was an appalling excuse for a restaurant, I wouldn't recommend it to anybody. The food was below average, and the attitude of the staff was contemptuous.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Durham City
“Great restaurant for family meal!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2010

Living in Durham I've been to Che Vita a few times and always been happy. I'd read a few poor reviews on this site and so was a little concerned when a family member suggested we go here over the New Year weekend. But I needn't have worried! Apart from one very minor hiccup (the drinks waiter didn't spot us at first but was very apologetic) the food was great and the service absolutely fine. We were a 7 person family group with young kids too and the food was great. The food service was quick (not too quickly to spoil the atmosphere though), the waiters were attentive ( but not hovering) and helpful and pleasant and the bill very reasonable.
It wasn't a busy night (the whole city was quiet) but there seemed to be a steady number of bookings coming in together with walk-ups. They all seemed to be happy with the service and food. There was a family party celebrating a 50th birthday and several other smaller parties.
I can't comment on breakfast service but I've not heard a bad word for Che Vita apart from on this site. I'd suggest you give it a go on the word of a local!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
York
“Thoroughly Enjoyable Visit!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2009

Came to Durham to visit our daughter currently studying at University. Unfortunately couldn't check in to our usual hotel (apparently there was a busy event happening in the town centre), as a result we reserved a room at the Durham Travelodge - not quite the traditional accommodation we had in mind, but nonetheless a bed for the night!

We were surprised by the Travelodge - a very old building with lots of character - apparently it was an old train station at some point! On arrival we also noticed 'Che-Vita' restaurant next door. After check-in we discovered the restaurant can be accessed from the hotel (quite handy considering it was raining) and shortly after dropping our bags in our room we returned to the restaurant.

It was quite busy for 7.30pm, but we were met by a friendly young gent who offered us a choice of remaining tables and promptly took our drinks order. Shortly after our drinks arrived and we were given menus. The first thing that struck us was the beautiful interior of the restaurant and it's size. The atmosphere was relaxed and not at all intrusive or intimidating.

Our starters arrived before 10 minutes and our steak and salmon dishes that followed were cooked to perfection. We were expecting a little spot of tea and an early night, but frankly the food and atmosphere bowled us over so we ordered a second bottle of wine and settled into our seats for the remainder of the evening!

Our daughter had heard of the restaurant, but due to it's location hadn't ever visited - it's not quite in the centre of town - but it must have the best view of the cathedral from anywhere in Durham!

All in all a very good place, surprisingly well priced for a restaurant attached to a hotel. Next time we return to Durham we'll be booking into the Travelodge for no other reason than to enjoy the restaurant again!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
glasgow
“ummm lovely”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2009

stayed at hotel attached to che-vita this weekend and had 2 great meals with my partner saturday afternoon we had rack of lamb cooked to perfection and a seafood risotto in a word ..fantastic..We then returned for sunday lunch and had a 2 course lunch this food again was great.. all i can say is "cant wait for our next visit to Durham and to dine here..

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
durham
“food disgusting staff rude”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2009

There was only about ten people in the restaurant . I was taken to my table to a young waitress who had a face like someone sucking a lemon . my husband ordered garlic bread with cheese and I had baby dough balls . this took about 45 minits to arrive when it did it was cold and hard the garlic bread was burnt on the bottom . During our time in the restaurant the waitress never came to the table once and asked if our food was o.k
for the main course my husband had a calzone which was soggy obviously been in the microwave and I had penne arribiata which was more like pasta soup . the sweets were no better we both went for the eaton mess they should change the name and call it simply mess thats what it looked like .

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere