“The staff make this hotel” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Taw Vale, Barnstaple EX32 9AE, England   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Barnstaple
Reading UK
“The staff make this hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

It's a rather strange looking hotel, like a converted 1960s car showroom (which it may be), but on the plus side it has a very good location and very helpful and well trained staff as well as a large car park. It's just opposite a pleasant park, and a short walk into Barnstaple with its pretty back streets and the wonderful Pannier Market and Butchers Row food shops

We spent only one night there for a family event nearby. The worst of the heatwave was over, but it was still very hot in the room, and there was no air conditioning, only a small fan. Fortunately the windows opened a little. The room itself was a bit tired, but perfectly comfortable. There was free wifi which needed a code from reception. We didn't bother with it, so can't comment. There were very few power points in the room, which was a bit of an inconvenience and might be quite difficult if you have a lot of things which need charging on a longer stay or if you are on business.

Our room was in the main building and we were a little concerned when we returned in the evening as there was very loud music from the first floor function room quite near to our room. However, with the corridor door and our room door closed we didn't hear a thing, and slept well.

Breakfast was a surprise, as we had understood we only had continental breakfast with our room rate. We found that a full cooked breakfast was actually included, and very good it was too. The staff in the restaurant were excellent, anticipating every need and serving us with a smile.

We asked for a late checkout so we could get changed before our event. This was arranged without fuss and free of charge, and was much appreciated.

The Park hadn't been our first choice of hotel, but we found it competitively priced and the excellent location and the staff probably would make it our first choice in the future.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Lewes
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

The hotel is well positioned, with easy parking. Our room looked over the park which was great, a bit noisey on the Saturday night with people heading for town and then home again in the early hours. The room was a good size, perhaps a bit dated but good enough for our needs.
Good bar area, had a drink on the outside terrace. id not eat at the hotel.

Room Tip: perhaps a room in the courtyard, less noise from the road.
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

We stayed 3 nights, but wish we'd have booked elsewhere for the same cost. Great location, very handy, helpful & friendly staff (aside from a rather disgruntled bar man one evening). We had the misfortune of having the last bedroom at the far end of the corridor from the stairway and just to walk the length of the corridor was purgatory, the heat took your breath away, what little you could get! (even the staff were complaining about it as we rushed past the cleaners and a store cupboard) ... so to the bedroom .. it was very small, old and tired though it was well fitted, the en suite bathroom on the other hand was modern, bright and large (in comparison to the bedroom about half size) though on the downside the water pressure was almost non existent either morning or evening making it very irritating to get a shower as it did little more than dribble ..... so a bath was out of the question unless you wanted a long wait ......... but then there was no hot water at any time of day or night ........ constantly tepid water from the bath/shower or hand basin but never any hot water. Can't say I'd be in a rush to stay again, not great for a 3 star charging what they did.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
BrendHotels, General Manager at Park Hotel, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We appreciate both positive and negative feedback and work hard to improve the areas our guests are not satisfied with. I would firstly like to apologise that you were not pleased with your bedroom or it’s location, more than often if guests are displeased with their room we are able to move them to one they are more comfortable in, I apologise that this was not possible on this occasion. With regards to the water in your room I understand your frustration, I will ensure that is looked into immediately by our maintenance team and see that it is improved. On a more positive note I am pleased that you were happy with the location of the hotel and our staff, we will do our very best to improve the problems you experienced to improve any future visits you or any other guest have with us.

south west england
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

My friend I and stayed for one night, as a (very) mini break. The location is great, opposite a pretty park and only 5 minutes walk into Barnstaple town centre. There is a large car park, and the receptionist was friendly and welcoming. Our room was really hot, but to be fair, it was during the heatwave, and they had provided a fan to cool the air. Our beds were amazingly comfortable, and when we requested extra tea bags etc, the staff were efficient and friendly. There was a wedding party, but because we were at the far end of the corridor, we were not disturbed by noise at all. Our breakfast was good, though the sausages were not very good quality. My only small criticism is that we only found out by reading the information folder that the water in the bathroom is not drinking water - if we hadnt bothered to look in the folder (and I bet lots of people don't!), we wouldn't have known. Maybe there should be a sign in the bathroom about this? Apart from this small point, we had a great stay, and I would happily stay there again.

Room Tip: Check if there are any events, such as wedding when staying, if so, ask for a room at far end of cor...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

I will be honest, I booked the Park Hotel as the premier inn was fully booked (I usually stick with what u know) so I looked on late rooms to find a room at the park hotel for £13 cheaper. Great!

It was booked for my sister and I purely for somewhere to sleep as we were travelling trough the night, to arrive at 4am, so can only comment on the services we used.

I did email ahead to ensure they accepted late check ins, this was confirmed as the reception is manned 24hrs.

The hotel was very easy to find and there is ample parking. Checking in was done in a flash and the member of staff on reception was very chatty, welcoming and helpful. Especially for 4 in the morning.

Our room was situated on the other side of the car park, no problem for us, but maybe worth considering when you book to request a room closer to reception if you'd prefer.

On entering the room we were impressed. We had a twin with ensure. The room was very clean and well set out. The windows were even already open for us so it was nice and airy on a very hot night. Tea making facilities were perfect, more than enough too.
The ensuite was fairly old fashioned but not Shabby at all. Loads of clean soft towels also.
We did have two complaints about the bathroom though. There were 2 slugs in there, which by no means is the hotels fault, you can't control nature and the windows were open. And the tap came off in my hand. I managed to get it back on to be just about useable, but we ended up using the bath tap in fear we wouldn't be able to turn the sink tap off if it were to happen again. We bought this up at reception on check out, as well as the slugs. The lady apologised, but that was it. Nothing to compensate.

I also had a slight issue with the shower. I'm 5ft 8 and had to duck to be able to get my head under the shower head. As did
My sister who is shorter than me. However the hotel can't be held responsible for the low ceiling and having to install a low shower, in that particular bathroom. It would just be something to consider when booking.

Over all I would still choose here over premier inn. It was cheaper (still cheaper without the late room deal) the beds were extremely comfortable, the staff were friendly and welcoming and the location and parking are great.
I would recommend the Park Hotel for a short stay.

• Stayed July 2013
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I stayed here for one night whilst on business nearby. The hotel is well maintained, very clean and welcoming. There is ample parking for guests in a secluded rear car park. The staff were particularly helpful and good humoured. The bar serves a good selection of beer including Sharpes Doombar, highly recommended. The only negative comment I would raise is the lack of air conditioning, this was only an issue due to an unseasonal heatwave! That aside, I would recommend this hotel and would stay again without hesitation.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Cardiff, Wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights with some friends, playing some local golf courses. Very clean bedrooms and bathrooms, staff very friendly. Breakfast good. The fact that one of their staff spent ages polishing the brass door handle gives an idea of the pride the staff take in their hotel. Large car park close to hotel entrance. I did not go the the fitness facilities which are located in their sister hotel nearby.

Room Tip: Overlooking the park was nice.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Park Hotel? Share your experiences!