“pleasant surroundings” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
“pleasant surroundings”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

food is good however menu needs updating and they are not flexible enough to alter the components of the dishes which is surprising if a chef is cooking it all from scratch

Visited May 2012

Combe Martin, United Kingdom
“"An fantastic oriental food experience"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We have never been to " Malee Thai" before ,the atmosphere is superbly oriental ,but when we purused the menu the choice for a lunch time is very impressive, we eventually selected our two meals, the food on arrival was superb with authentic oriental flavours both dishes were mouthwatering good !!!!, simply spectacular .The service was exceptional ,all this at a very inexpensive cost,,,.we look foreward to another meal at the restaurant possibly in the evening so that we can again try other creative,imaginative and tasty dishes,together with a great bottle of wine.TAXI HOME I THINK.......

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Lynton
“Special Treat!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

We've often walked past this restaurant and thought how good it looked, so were delighted when friends suggested going here. They'd been before, were keen to return and thought we'd like it too. They were right!

There is so much choice on the menu that we decided to go the easy route and pick the 5 course set menu and 4 course vegetarian set menus. Both menus nicely balanced, with lots of variety and great tasting food. Of all the dishes my favourite was the spicy chicken soup with lemon grass, chillies, coriander and lime juice; I wouldn't have thought to try it if we hadn't had the set menu and it was unbelievably good. Very spicy, but with all the other flavours zinging through, despite the heat.

I always think it's interesting to see who your fellow diners are and in Malee Thai's case we were with a mix of young couples on a date, older couples and groups having an evening out (not bad for a pre Christmas Thursday evening). The restaurant is smart enough to impress your friends and family, yet relaxed and informal at the same time. They also do a lunch time menu and I reckon I'd be a regular for this if I worked nearby.

To sum up: very pleasant atmosphere, good service and excellent food - Malee Thai have definately got everything just right!

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Barnstaple
“Better than the Fullam!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I was only vaguely aware of this restaurant's existence before a friend suggested we eat there. First impression is that it's nicely fitted-out in rather dated style and the staff helped to create a welcoming atmosphere. I'm not very familiar with Thai food so can't comment on authenticity, but my deep-fried soft-shelled crabs were certainly OK. Only OK, though, as the crabs themselves - both texture and flavour - were dominated by the batter in which they were cooked. I do wonder how much of the food is actually cooked on the premises. I would say the mixed starters (spring rolls, sesame toast, deep-fried prawns and other Oriental staples) were undoubtedly bought frozen from the local cash-and-carry - as, I suspect, were my crabs. My friend's steak must have been cooked in-house and, surely, the steamed rice was prepared in the kitchn too.
The lively company of friends I hadn't seen for a while certainly added to my enjoyment but I'm not sure I'd have felt so satisfied had this been an intimate dinner for two. Having said that, though, nothing gave cause for complaint and the cost was pretty reasonable.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Bideford, United Kingdom
“Excellent fresh food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

Very tasty fresh food in a pleasant setting. Something for everyone on the menu....maybe even too much choice. Will definitely return.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere