“Fantastic hotel.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Barnstaple
devon
“Fantastic hotel.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Ignore negative comments & reviews about this hotel as its all a matter of sky high expectations not being met. The location is very central & because of that you have to expect it won't be a quite county house. Focus on the exceptional hospitality, staff, service, comfort & food and you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
BrendHotels, General Manager at Royal and Fortescue Hotel, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Thankyou very much for taking the time to review our hotel, I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and found our staff to be very helpful and friendly. I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel again in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Gloucester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Spent 2 nights at this lovely old Coaching Inn which is situated almost in the centre of Barnstaple......step out of the front door and you are directly opposite the "High Street".
My wife and I were made very welcome by the pleasant,helpful and professional Reception staff and throughout our stay found all staff to be equally pleasant and helpful. While the hotel is rather dated we had a comfortable and spacious en-suite room on the first floor which,for access has a fairly steep staircase but a lift is available. The hotel has a large Bar and extensive Restaurant ,both of which proved to be very popular with both residents and "locals".
Food in the Restaurant was prepared and presented to a very high standard with plenty of choice, particularly the cooked English breakfast.which was excellent.
There are a couple of small problems with this hotel however,......being "in town", there is only a small car park holding about a dozen cars with the only access down an alleyway at the rear of the hotel and it is on a"first come,first served" basis, although they do have further available parking nearby!! There is also a rather noisy "nightclub" at the rear of the hotel which has a "throwing out" of well lubricated customers in the early hours of the morning. Light sleepers Beware!!! Nevertheless this is no criticism of the hotel which was well up to standard and gave us a very pleasant and comfortable weekend at a fair price. We would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: Try to avoid having a room at rear of hotel due to "Nightclub" noise.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
BrendHotels, General Manager at Royal and Fortescue Hotel, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Thankyou for taking the time to review our hotel. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and found the staff to be very pleasant and helpful. I am also pleased to hear that you were impressed with our restaurant and enjoyed the food you had there. I am sorry to hear you were affected by the noise from outside, we are doing our best at the hotel to try and soundproof the building and make sure that the side facing rooms are all triple glazed. I hope i can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

on arrival staff seem very friendly, we had a room on the ground floor called the mews, the room was nice but there was abit of noise as it was close to the stores and kitchen, but all the same warm and cosy, in the room the heating is great and there are a lot of electrical sockets which I was surprised as some hotels have only two in the room,what I liked most was the closeness to the coach station if arriving by coach, so not too far to drag your suitcases ! there was abit of shouting at night by drunken revellers, but from the room we had (the mews) it didn't sound too much, all in all I would recommend this hotel as a base to explore the Exmoor country side.

Room Tip: ask for one of the mews rooms , great for disabled people as there are ramps to the entrance of the...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Winchcombe, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Unfortunately had to move out of the superior room I had booked (big reason for booking this hotel) due to a blocked toilet that couldn't be fixed. This was discovered within 15 minutes so should have been noticed by cleaning staff. The alternative room I was offered was much smaller, with a small shower-room. I get more water coming out of my watering can than the shower head and the water didn't drain away very well. Another blockage to come? Also the sink mixer tap only seemed to dispense hot or warm water. Sound proofing not very good, could hear outside noise - surprising as triple glazed, plus conversations from next room. Parking not great and prepare to be blocked in. You need to let the staff know when you're leaving.
Having said all the above the staff were very friendly, the bed was comfy and the breakfast was great.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thankyou for taking the time to review our hotel. I am pleased you enjoyed breakfast here and found the staff very friendly. I am sorry to hear about the problems you had with your room. Since your review was posted we are now refurbishing this room and are fitting a new bathroom to make sure this doesnt happen again. With regards to the second room i can only apologise for the issues you received with the shower. I hope this will not deter you from wanting to stay with us again and i hope i can welcome you back in the near future.
None
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

You'll have a warm welcome and enjoy good meals. The bonus of being right in the centre of town by day is offset at night by drunken yoofs yelling at each other as they spill out of the open-late pubs.

Room Tip: ask for a room not facing the High St
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Leicester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Didn't see any pool or fitness centre so I couldn't comment on it. Everyhting else is spot on!! The service is always very friendly and the location for any town center activities is perfect. The restaraunts are nice but the hotel does provide an amazing range of food that will be brought to your room!

Room Tip: Doubles are generally a good enough size for a comfortable sleep
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thankyou for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your stay here with us and found the staff were very friendly. I am also pleased to hear that you liked the food and you feel that we offer a wide selection. I understand you did not have time to visit the pool or gym at our sister hotel but i do hope if you come back in the future you will be able to try this too. I look forward to welcoming you back
birmingham uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

This was my first experience of staying in a hotel by myself and I certainly made the right choice. I found the staff to be welcoming, friendly and helpful, and this helped make my mini-break very enjoyable at a difficult time. After reading dreadful reports about single rooms, it was with some trepidation that I turned the key in my room on the third floor. What a pleasant surprise. My room was spacious, tastefully decorated and spotlessly clean, as was the bathroom. The location is ideal, particularly for someone without a car as the bus station is very close. I will certainly stay at the Royal and Fortescue if I am in Barnstaple again.

Room Tip: My room on the third floor was quiet.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Been to Royal and Fortescue Hotel? Share your experiences!