“Apr 14 - 19; 2013” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Barnstaple
Hexham
“Apr 14 - 19; 2013”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We had a wonderful break; great hospitality and only minor "niggles" such as the absence of tomato juice at breakfast and no fresh fruit either. On our first morning I reported that one of the ceiling light bulbs in our room didn't light up and was assured it would be seen to while we were out. It wasn't, and nothing was done all the time we were there.

But I felt it had been a brilliant modernisation of an old building and none of its OLDE WORLD charm had been lost. I would recommend room 309 – it had none of the noise reported by other visitors to TripAdvisor. It even has a bit of a view over the adjacent roof tops to distant hills outside the town in the south-west. But as we stayed Sun – Thur we missed the nuisance disco next door. The chefs deserve special praise; our meals were delicious and in our opinion they were cooked to perfection.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
BrendHotels, Manager at Royal and Fortescue Hotel, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Many thanks for posting a review of our hotel. We are pleased to hear you had an enjoyable stay. We are glad you liked your room and appreciate the work we put into keeping our hotel looking good. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future, and although we don't have Tomato Juice on the breakfast buffet, we are happy to provide it on request!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Neath Port Talbot, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Stayed for the first time with this small chain of hotels and the staff at this hotel made us feel welcome were very friendly and helpful. The room was spacious and comfortable and contained all the essentials tea, coffee, hair dryer and the food was delicious. We stayed on a special offer break dinner bed and breakfast with a carvery lunch on the day we left. This hotel right in the centre of the towna provided private parking and is perfect for browsing and in easy reach of places to visit. We are looking forward to a return visit and to trying other hotels in the Brend chain. The only drawback was that our room was situated next to the side lane which contained a noisy bar/club but having brought this to the attention of the hotel who were very apologetic as they have no jurisdiction over the bar. I would definately stay at this wonderful hotel again but request a room away from the side lane

Room Tip: Rooms away from the side lane where there is noisy club/bar are quieter hence reason for lower sleep...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It is always nice to hear positive feedback and I will pass your comments on to the relevent staff, who I'm sure will appreciate your kind comments.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the R&F soon.
Oxford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Had a long weekend in our favourite little away-break hotel. Pleasant location, really good staff and food to die for.
I spilled red wine all down my shirt on the first night at dinner, and they immediately came over to deal with it, and suggested I go and change straight away so they could wash it for me. They did, and it was delivered back cleaned and pressed next morning. What service!
The large lounge is well furnished and relaxing and during the day is always busy with people having coffees and cream teas. Costs no more than in Starbucks and comes on a silver tray!

We have stayed here several times before. Out of season prices are really reasonable and all the rooms have been recently upgraded. Full double glazing on all the street-facing rooms and those along the side of the hotel have helped keep out the noise.
At the front the noise comes from a taxi-rank and at the side late-night revellers from the nightclub at the back of the hotel. We would always try to avoid a room at the back of the hotel, near to "The Tavern" on Diamond street because the smokers outside chatter loudly and every time the door opens there is a blast of music. It is also open very late on Fridays and Saturdays, but if you avoid these days, you won't have a problem with noise. This venue is not part of the hotel, so there is little the R&F can do about it.

The food at Dinner is always delicious and plentiful, and served by pleasant well-trained staff. There is a wide choice of fare and I have never had a poor meal.
There is a wide choice for breakfast, and the quality is quite good and again plentiful if you want it to be! My wife usually goes for an egg, a rasher and a hash brown, whilst I go for the full English.

If you want a clean, comfortable hotel with great food, attentive staff and a relaxed atmosphere, this fills the bill. There is plenty to do in Barnstaple - Pannier Market, all the usual shops, some lovely odd local ones (a tobacconist! When did you last see one of those?) the estuary, moorland and coastal resorts all close at hand.

We WILL be back!

Room Tip: We always prefer a superior room, or suite. But all rooms are well maintained and kitted out. Avoid...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
BrendHotels, Manager at Royal and Fortescue Hotel, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay here-it is always a pleasure to welcome returning guests. I will pass your comments on to the staff involved, and I'm sure they will appreciate the feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the future!
Barnstaple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

I am a regular guest! The standard double rooms are spacious, cosy and warm, complete with the essentials- hairdryer, ironing board, tea/coffee making facilities! Lots of towels, dressing gowns. The room service is also great- staff are extremely helpful, and will get you what you want (if they're able to- no excuses). Food is really great too- fresh, made to order. Lunch times are really busy, I try to get in there first! Cakes are a sell out!! Overall, fantastic hotel to stay in. Wouldn't go anywhere else!

• Stayed January 2013
Swindon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Just back from a two night stay at this hotel which is conveniently situated down by the river and near shops and restaurants.Had a room overlooking the back of the hotel which was fine - only a little late night noise outside but then it was a bank holiday.
Good sized room with a large and comfortable bed. Bathroom very clean but only had small bath towels and flannels not provided( just to warn people).
All staff very friendly and welcoming.
Food very good- adequate sized portions and the kipper I had for breakfast was delicious.
Hope to stay again this year.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not overlooking the road Although there is a lift to each floor there are still stai...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your weekend with us, and particularly that you found our staff friendly and the food good! We hope to welcome you back in due course.
Polegate, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

In common with all of this groups hotels The Royal & Fortescue is most welcoming,the food & service are excellent,the rooms & cleanliness cannot be faulted in our opinion. One tip, get a room not overlooking the street.
We prefer to take advantage of their coach service which collects from and takes you back to your front door. They also organise various trips out during your stay which are all included.

Room Tip: Go for a Mews room
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with Brend Tours. It nice to hear that you cannot fault the service, food or cleanliness, the things we pride oureslve upon. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
Derby, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I was quite looking forward to my one night stay at this hotel. The hotel itself was very fancy and posh and very beautiful, but when we saw our room we were disappointed, very small with a terrible view of the back of shop next door, not their fault I know but it was a let down. We spent £60 for one night for me and my husband for a tiny bedroom it was down from £100, and it was definatley not worth that. The bathroom was only big enough for one person at a time and still had soap scum along the bath tub :( £25 a night would have been fair to pay for this room not £60.
The only good thing I liked about the room was the air con as it got so hot at night we took the covers off, but they did leave a fair amount of tea, coffee and biscuits.
Sorry won't be staying here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am sorry that you were dissapointed with your stay. With the hotels age and history, it does mean that there is a variety in the size of the rooms. However, we do try and make our rooms as welcoming as possible, with flat screen TVs, complentary beverage boxes, and I can only apologise that the bathroom was not as clean as we would expect it to be. I'm sorry that you say you will not be returning, as I'm sure in the right room the hotel would have lived up to your first impressions. Again thank you for taking the time to post a review.

Been to Royal and Fortescue Hotel? Share your experiences!