“Not for us.” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Burgess Hill, United Kingdom
“Not for us.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

When on holiday in self catering accommodation we like to find a pub we can walk to on the first night so we check it out so we can use it through the week. So when we read the reviews for the Chichester Arms we thought we had made a good choice of accommodation.

So we enter the bar and say hello and get blanked by a sullen young lady behind the bar ignored by the woman sat at the bar and tapping her mobile phone. Ordered the drinks but got virtually no eye contact and no conversation. As we were eating with the rest of the family in the evening we asked if they did bar snacks, this unleashed a short sharp "we don't do bar snacks, we do light bites" I would normally walk out after finishing the drinks and find somewhere else who wants our business but it was after 2pm and the drive down was a nightmare. The food was good but when delivered it was just put down on the table with no enjoy your meal or even a glimmer of personality.

It was not just us as when my son arrived with the grand daughter he got the same welcoming and the same "we don't do bar snacks, we do light bites". He sat down with the menu and gathered the order, his daughter wanted chicken and chips. They don't do chicken and chips, even though chicken is available in other options so ham and chips were ordered as they would not put themselves out to serve what the customers want.

Whilst sat there other people came in and were told "we don't do bar snacks, we have light bites".

Needless to say we never went back there again. We would have gone back there a couple of times for meals with wine and beers.

Poor attitude, poor service and no concept of giving the customer what they want.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Barnstaple, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Went for an evening meal with my husband, and we had a fantastic evening. The staff were very attentive and the food and atmosphere was excellent. We will definitely be going there again soon!

• Visited August 2013
Croyde N.Devon
“Very Good Meal.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Today I took my wife and a friend for lunch.I had plaice and chips;my wife had cod and chips and my friend had steak pie; all delightful meals. Our only problem was that the bar lady made two attempts to give the right change and still failed even at the second go ; surely £40.41 from £45.00 cannot be that difficult ! Will certainly go there again but will make sure that I check my change !

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Barnstaple, England, United Kingdom
“The Chich”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Lovely meal, lovely atmosphere. Pub has improved dramatically since I last visited a few months ago with previous manager. Staff service is now fantastic, food came out fast and was delicious with large portions. Would definitely recommend and will start going more often again now the management has changed.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“Excellent place to visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

I have going to The Chich with my family for nearly 2 years.The food has always been fantastic,the atmosphere is lovely & cosy & the staff are lovely & friendly.Highly reommended for families.

• Visited June 2013