“Excellent family run hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Fairway Hotel
Hawthwaite Lane, Barrow-in-Furness LA14 4QH, England   |
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Barrow-in-Furness
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Excellent family run hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2010

Stayed in the hotel over the Easter weekend. Our room had a view over to the sea which we were not expecting. The room itself was clean, well furnished with an extremelly large onsuite. I've stayed in 4 and 5 star hotels that have had smaller bathrooms.

The bar was great, they had a good pint. Always a bonus after a day on the hills.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Paignton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2010

Needed a place locally for a night this week and read some of the comments on this site. I have to say that there is absolutely nothing wrong with this accommodation. Clean, spacious room, quiet, comfortable bed, overlooking a driving range, good TV channels, including Sky Sports. The shower cubicle was pristine. What more do you need?

If I was being piclky, the taps in the basin got on my nerves (they are the push timer type ones you get in motorway services) and my breakfast sausage could have been a bit tastier. Otherwise, do not be put off. I would stay here again given the chance. Good value (very).

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2009 via mobile

Not a bad place, just very average. Nice big rooms, but no shower (bath only, maybe just a room 8 thing...) only complementary shampoo and bar of soap, no shower gel means a trip to azda is in order.

Restaurant average too.

• Stayed August 2010
fairway01, Manager at Fairway Hotel, responded to this review, March 30, 2010
Thank-you for your comments, as you can see from an earlier response to a review we do not have baths with showers over them, but you can request a room with a power shower if you prefer. We also provide complimentary shampoo, hair & body wash and soap and as you mentioned, at the Abbey House Hotel you receive shower gel and soap. As you can appreicate the Abbey House Hotel's tarrif is considerably more than our £55 B&B tariff. We do aim to ensure that everyone has a comfortable stay and we are sorry that on this occasion you did not.
We have noted your comments and if you would like to bring anything further to our attention please do not hesitate to email me on enquiries@fairway-hotel.co.uk
Rochford, Essex - GB
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2009

I stayed here in June on walking for softies holiday. The hotel was a good family run hotel, the rooms were very clean & beds comfortable. All the staff were very helpful and friendly. Food was good basic fair. Hotel was a little isolated but had a nice bar & uptairs lounge.

• Stayed June 2009
fairway01, Manager at Fairway Hotel, responded to this review, March 30, 2010
Thank you for your review. Your comments are very much appreciated. I was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay with us. When you next have reason to visit cumbria, please feel free to contact me.
Karen Allenby
Kent, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2009

We stayed three nights in Room 8.
The sleeping accommodation and food was satisfactory and the staff were very obliging. However, when I pointed out that there was no showering facility or means of washing our hair I was told "Nobody has complained about it before."
I found this unbelievable and it reminded me of what one could expect of a pre-1970s Italian budget hotel.
It is sad really as, with a little effort, it could have been an acceptable place to stay.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
fairway01, manger at Fairway Hotel, responded to this review, March 30, 2010
I would just like to say how disappointed I was to read your comments.
I believe your complaint was due to the lack of shower attachment over your bath, and when you requested one from reception the response you received was not to your satisfaction.
The Fairway Hotel has 42 bedrooms, 37 of which have walk in power showers and 5 have baths. We do not supply showers over baths due to Health & Safety regulations. Every guest has the opportunity to request a room of thier prefered choice of bath or shower.
Whilst I acknowledge your dissatisfaction with one member of staff (whom I do not know the identiy of,) you stayed in the hotel for 3 nights. If you had asked to see me I would have done my upmost to change your room so you had a shower, but you didn't give me the opportunity to rectify any issues you had. With this in mind I find it disappointing that you found it neccasary to record the issues on trip advisor and make derogatory comments about the hotel bedrooms.
The Fairway Hotel was insepcted and passed to 3 * RAC standard, (when they were inspecting and rating hotels.) We are also regulary insepcted by the Cumbia Tourist Board. I will stand by our rooms and believe them to be equal if not better than the majority of hotels in Cumbria and welcome any prosepective guests to view the hotel and bedrooms anytime.
We endevour to ensure each guest who stays at the hotel has an enjoyable and relaxing stay and welcome constructive criticsm but feel your comments are not reflective of your stay.
If you would to discuss this matter further please do not hesitate to contact me at enquiries@fairway-hotel.co.uk
isle of man
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2008

Wonderful Hotel, set just outside Barrow in Furness, Rooms are excellent half of them are on ground floor, Excellent restaurant , food extremely good.Small comfortable bar, Staff are very friendly giving the Hotel a very homely feeling.

Attached to the Hotel is a Golf Driving range and a 9 hole golf course.

Easy acces to Lake district from hotel.

• Liked — Every thing with hotel is first rate
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
fairway01, Manager at Fairway Hotel, responded to this review, March 30, 2010
Thank you for your review. Your comments are very much appreciated. I was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay with us. When you next have reason to visit Cumbria, please feel free to contact me.
Kind regards Karen Allenby
Manager
Leicester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2008

Visiting this Hotel with a coach company for a Lake District break , The Hotel rooms were very large and comfortable and the whole stay was a pleasure .The staff really do everything they can to make your stay enjoyable and it certainly was as the food was excellent. The Hotel is a little isolated but has a nice bar area and is in a lovely location , well worth a visit - Gary- Leicester.

Stayed June 2008
Kind regards
Karen Allenby
manager

Been to Fairway Hotel? Share your experiences!