“Good Stop for Business in Barrow” 4 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Abbey Road, Barrow-in-Furness LA14 5QR, England   |
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Barrow-in-Furness
Certificate of Excellence 2014
NJ
“Good Stop for Business in Barrow”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2010

I am a regular business traveler to this hotel which has made steady strides since its opening. Its location in downtown Barrow is perfect for business with BAE Systems and there are numerous restaurants, pubs and stores within a short walk of the hotel. It has a very pleasant pub and restaurant on the premises. Its rooms are quirky – some much nicer and more user friendly than others. Must warn against bringing the family as their two “family rooms” really are very tight and not particularly comfortable. Staff is mostly friendly and their breakfast is good. For some reason, the hotel has consistent problems with the free wireless Internet.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
TheDuke1871, Owner at The Duke of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this review, August 28, 2010
Thanks for your review and for taking the effort of updating your previous comments. I believe all hotels are a "work in progress" and we constantly try to improve our offering. We've been open as a hotel now for nearly three years and I genuinely believe that our hotel is better than ever. Still not the finished article and there are always areas we can improve. You've mentioned our wireless internet problems. We're going to move to BT shortly for our internet services as we've used a number of different independent suppliers in recent years and quite frankly they've been hopeless. We've not had any problems in recent weeks however and hopefully you'll not experience these frustrations again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Newmarket
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2010

My now fiance book us into this hotel the night he propsed, it was just perfect! high standard furnishings, the most comfortable bed iv ever slept in, and i just loved loved loved the huge bath i soaked in after our 3000 foot climb up scarfell pike! The only down point is that apparently they only give one robe and one pair of slippers for each room, regardless of it being a double which i thought was extremly odd not to mention unfair to my partner lol, i complained and a member of staff swiftly brought another set to the room for us. I would definalty stop here again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

Some people seem impossible to please. Never been to Barrow before and went for the Duke of Edinburgh hotel. Yes, lift looks a bit weird, so what? Reception was efficient, room was great, bar was good, restaurant was great. Breakfast great. All staff friendly and efficient. Job done! Would not go there on holiday, but when on business will always return. Did the business for me.

Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Bristol
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2010

I have to admit that I wasn't looking forward to working so far away from home last week but after a friend recommended Tripadvisor to find a place to say, I quickly found somewhere that ticked all the boxes despite knowing nothing about Barrow or ever venturing this far North before!
I was slightly put off by the last review I read but the overall feedback was reassuring and I'm now very glad I chose this hotel. It's a grand building and inside is modern and individual but lots of nice original features. It was nice to stay somewhere with character rather than a chain hotel. My room was superb with stylish decor and everything I needed for a comfortable stay; a genuine four star feel.
Breakfast was very well cooked and generous portions but the hotel didn't have a gym so I didn't have it every day!
All round it was a very good experience that made a stay in Barrow something I can look forward to next time.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2010

It was reading the recent ludicrously negative reviews of this hotel that motivated me to join Tripadvisor. I stayed here the 2nd week of March for two nights booked by a faceless lady from an agency. As is the norm I had little knowledge about where I was going or what to expect. The Duke of Edinburgh is a cobbled together hotel in the centre of Barrow. It's not got that Hilton/Holiday Inn organised feel, this is a hotel that operates by the seat of its pants. The parking is across a busy road in front of a row of shops, one side of the hotel is still being worked on by stone people and the lift seems to have been plonked in the middle of an enormously grand oak staircase. It's all rather odd. However, the rooms are simply spectacular, they'd sit perfectly comfortably in London or New York (I know that sounds ridiculous but I've been in London and NY boutique hotels that were similar) - the bathrooms, the beds, the styling and the room facilities are really very very impressive and my opinion of the hotel changed 180 degrees as soon as I set foot in. The bar downstairs continues the confused but inspired theme - not many hotels in the middle of a Victorian working class town bother with so many real ales, unusual lagers and mind boggling display of spirits. The food in the morning and evenings was simply presented in a modern and very cute way - there was a lot of it and it was excellent. To read the reviews underneath would continue the theme of confusion - these are quite frankly bonkers. Visit a few dozen hotels a year and realise just what a breath of fresh (and slightly eccentric) air this place is. I liked the Duke of Edinburgh Hotel a lot, it probably wouldnt work in York or anywhere where there's a heavy one-off tourist market. But in Barrow where there's a glut of very mediocre hotels, it stands out as a hotel that dares to be different.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2010

Drab hotel in a drab city, all I can say is that I return in April to Barrow and will avoid this establishment like the plague!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
TheDuke1871, Owner at The Duke of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2010
I'm sorry you didn't like our hotel. I think you're the first reviewer we've ever had who has been so critical without mentioning any specifics whatsover.

Barrow is not a "drab city", in fact it's a friendly, up and coming, busy Cumbrian town that is fortunate enough to be close to some of the most beautiful parts of the UK. As a company we've spent over £2million renovating this lovely hotel and it's now probably the busiest and certainly one of the best in the region. Where else in South West Cumbria do you get the style of rooms that we offer, super king size beds, free wi-fi, room service, flat screen televisions, Italian designer bathrooms etc etc. The management and staff at the Duke are extremely proud of the hotel's reinvention and whilst we're always seeking ways of improving our offering, it would be helpful if a review offered constructive criticism (rather than "avoid like the plague"). A less charitable individual might surmise that this review was not genuine.
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2010

This hotel is in a perfect central location, and has free parking. The interior is lovely, and the bar area has a very warm, welcoming atmosphere with roaring log fires. We had an executive room, and it was spacious, modern and very nicely decorated. (bed was so comfy!) This is probably the nicest hotel in Barrow,and I have stayed in a few over the years. The only thing that lets this hotel down is the service. The staff are friendly and welcoming, but there does seem to be an air of dis-organisation! Breakfast service was chaotic as they were short staffed. The waitress apologised, and we were happy to wait approx 25 mins for our cooked breakfast. (breakfast was good). We enjoyed our stay, and it was value for money. Thus, we would stay again on our next visit to Barrow to visit my relatives.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your review.

I'm really pleased you enjoyed your stay and we look forward seeing you again the next time you're in the area.

With regards to the breakfast service, I will speak to the General Manager and pass on your comments. All hotels are a "work in progress" and it's vital that we work hard to ensure that complete experience, from the time you arrive to the moment you leave, is as near as perfect as possible.

Thanks again for taking the time to write the review.

Been to The Duke of Edinburgh Hotel? Share your experiences!