“overnight stay good hotel” 4 of 5 stars

The Duke of Edinburgh Hotel
Abbey Road, Barrow-in-Furness LA14 5QR, England   |
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Barrow-in-Furness
county durham
“overnight stay good hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Stayed for one night with my husband and his mum had lovely rooms very good nights sleep.Bar very well stocked staff friendly and very helpfull had a brilliant evening in the vault nice meal and a good jazz band were on .Breakfast very good hot and tasty would return again .

Room Tip: we had room 204 very nice
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Bakewell, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Right opposite the Railway Station, and a short walk to town centre, this is a good hotel. Nice bar with real ales, very nicely appointed bedroom and bathroom, very friendly, helpful staff. Good breakfast (didn't eat there in the evening)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Bournemouth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I have stayed at the Duke a few times and used their conference facilities. The receptionists, Laura and Beccy, are excellent - friendly, helpful and without doubt put the customer first. The review below where someone commented negatively on Laura really shocked me. She is an asset! The bar staff were excellent too so I dined in there most nights. The food is tasty and reasonably priced. The only quibbles would be that the rooms on the front of the hotel are noisy from the traffic but I booked subsequent stays in rooms at the rear so problem resolved. The other minor niggle was that WiFi works in some rooms, not others (commented on in other reviews). Again, I found a room with good WiFi so that problem disappeared. On my last stay, the reception kindly arranged for the night porter to source me a bacon nutty takeaway as I was leaving at 6:45am before breakfast service.

So, to summarise, if you want a central hotel in Barrow with good customer service, I can't fault the place and would recommend it.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

We booked this through booking.com however I called the hotel to check we could get a cot and was told we had the wrong room for this but was upgraded as we had paid the same amount anyway!(lesson learnt to always try hotels direct!). All the staff we came across were pleasant and more than helpful. The bathrooms were amazing in both of our rooms and breakfast was brilliant and included in the price. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed June 2013
bolton
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Upon arrival we were advised that the car park was across the road - this is across a main intersection and unsuitable for children and also transporting suitcases. I had booked a superior double for my 12 year old daughter and an executive double for ourselves, I had asked for the rooms to be together and again upon arrival I asked was this possible - without even checking the computer (Laura, I think - receptionist) told me that they were busy and had no other rooms near each other available - 2 different floors.
we then went to have lunch in the restaurant, the bar person a young lady (new) was competent and politely attentive. Lunch was below average with the sandwiches being served without the bread being buttered, the rest was ok.
We then went to the rooms which were now ready, my daughters room was ok a few cracks in the walls showing a tired hotel that needs some TLC. Our room was quaint but had some issues -with the toilet constantly running and the lighting confusing and some not working - dinner we had room service, not only are you charged for the food but a £5 per person sur charge was added for delivery - this is the first time I have ever had this in 33 years in the hotel and restaurant industry in 4 and 5** luxury hotels. again the food was average and the steak was more like rump than a sirloin...food served warm not hot....
The internet was not working and when I rang reception I was told that this was normal and if I couldn't get a signal I should go and sit in reception as the WIFI was good there, the entire family use the internet regularly and as this was an important factor in booking the hotel I found this unacceptable. I pressed further and then the WIFI was rebooted and then hey presto it worked....
Staff seemed as if any request was a little too much trouble and that the guest was a bit of an annoyance.....Coffee and tea in rooms were not refilled when the room was cleaned as I said 4 star this is not.......Expensive for the service given - Being in the industry we would of liked to have this conversation with a member of management but when we started to mention things about the way they handle the credit card payments, the receptionist got up said she didn't wish to argue with us, and walked away at this point it seemed pointless to try and make our point in order that they could find solutions to the issues we had had, so that they would not be repeated. Once upon a time I'm sure this was a beautiful hotel sad really....

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
SunHotelLancaster, Owner at The Duke of Edinburgh Hotel, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I'm delighted to say we rarely get poor reviews like this, however I am delighted to respond to your completely unfair comments.

Firstly, there are increasingly few town or city centre hotels anywhere that still offer free parking in a designated car park. The car park is precisely 34 yards from the hotel's entrance and has recently installed pedestrian crossings for the entire journey. It takes approximately 40 seconds from car to hotel entrance and we charge £0 for parking in the centre of Barrow. There is no other hotel in Barrow town-centre that guarantees parking for all its guests. You could park on the street like the majority of our competitors' guests next time, perhaps you'll even get closer than 34 yards from the front door.

With regards to the lunch. The sandwich was buttered, the waitress explained this to you at the time.

The hotel is 130 years old. You're right, it does "require TLC" and that is why we have spent over £2.5m on the building in the last six years, employ a full time maintenance manager and have a 12 month rolling programme of room refurbishment. I'm thrilled you found your room "quaint".

Your comments regarding our room service policy is most baffling. I actually do work in the hotel industry, (thus I'm allowed to post this response) and I can tell you that many hotels operate exactly the same system as ourselves. Rather than offering a limited, expensive "room service menu" we simply offer our entire menu and add a £5 room service charge per person. I'm further surprised that someone who has apparently spent "33 years in the hotel and restaurant industry in 4 and 5** luxury hotels" has never actually posted another review on any other establishment.

Regarding the wi-fi. You complained, it was re-booted and worked. The staff genuinely did try their best with you.

Our staff did not find your every request a "little too much trouble", in fact they were very patient with an individual who found fault with every element of the experience from parking through to our card payment system.

To be frank, our staff tried in every way humanely possible to accommodate you. It was a very difficult experience for them. I have spoken to each person you encountered during your visit and all of them said they did everything possible to make your stay acceptable. However, seemingly it was nowhere near adequate.

I apologise that our hotel was not able to reach the heights you expected. We work extremely hard to offer an excellent experience for our guests, however occasionally it's just simply not possible to please absolutely everyone.
Brentwood, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

Picked this hotel to attend a family wedding..Traditional hotel has been refurbished in modern style.Had an executive room on third floor and it was very clean and well equipped. Settee and chair, spacious bathroom with huge shower and separate tub. Separate dressing area with plenty of sockets. Extra pillows, nice cups and saucers, proper glasses (not plastic), nice pictures and large comfortable bed. Room (305) was quiet as requested although the floor creaked so that may have been a problem for the people below us I tried to think of anything missing and a full length mirror would have been nice and possibly a safe as it is difficult to carry camera/jewellery/kindle all the time. Good location for us and free parking across the road in a private carpark. Breakfast was excellent, freshly cooked and cheerfully served. Ideal for us and were pleased we had booked to stay here for a family wedding and a trip to the Lakes. Furness Abbey in the same road is well worth a visit but a bit far to walk so take the car.

• Stayed May 2013
Millom, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Uncle Rob booked me a nights stay at the Duke with karting during the day and meal at night. Carpark across the road was free. Hotel is posh. Really nice bedroom and bathroom. Great bar not at all like anything else in barrow. girlfriend liked it a lot, nothing like this in Millom. Live music downstairs which we got into for free. Everything excellent will save and go again soon.

Room Tip: We had standard and it was very good.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Duke of Edinburgh Hotel? Share your experiences!