“Very nearly a 5 star” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Description: Jeffersons has been serving bar meals to the people of Barrow for many years. Our bar menu serves up quality, value for money pub classics.
“Very nearly a 5 star”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Chose two course roast dinner, starter prawn cocktail. Very nice and fresh and loads of it, bread very dry and not eaten. Two roast dinners with half roast chicken, just a little dry, two roasties, mash and two Yorkshire puddings and a side dish of parsnips which were lovely and peas, carrots and green beans which were not. We were given one small jug of gravy which was not enough. Once served no-one came back to check all was ok and one of us would have had to leave the table and chase a member of staff as they busily worked away to ask for more gravy. Would definitely go back but would ask when ordering for extra gravy.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“Nice food staff friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

Staff were very friendly been a few times, nice portion sizes, variety on menu will defiantly be going back

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Dalton-in-Furness, United Kingdom
“No faults”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Very warm and friendly place, me and a few friends went last week to see what it was like, and was pleasantly surprised. Nice atmosphere, nice food and nice staff, can't complain. Would certainly recommend!

Visited September 2013
Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
“Poor quality, poor service, poor taste.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

I've been to Jefferson's a couple of times over the years, with family or work... Basically when I have felt I've had to.

Years ago I had a roast dinner I'll never forget... Soggy tinned peas and carrots, cheapest instant gravy, reheated freezer shop ingredients basically and high salt content to boot.

Then I had some sausage an mash in 2011 which was terrible too.

Then I went with work and some of us brought children.

I ordered chips, cheese and gravy for my daughter and minced beef pie for me.... Fail safe you'd think.

Not so. The chips were cheap freezer chips, with about a kilo of the cheapest, fattiest, saltiest smart price or value cheese and instant gravy drowning it with heavy salt and an inch or two of fat floating on it all. I picked a load of chips out of the mess for my daughter and wiped them on the napkin.

The pie however, was soooo unbelievably and disturbingly bad I actually had to send it back!!!!

It was possibly some kind of meat, I'm uncertain though, with what tasted like a full tub of salt in it (now take heed because I actually like a well seasoned meal and salty snacks!) and a pastry crust that I could have knocked the unhelpful staff out with had I thrown it at them in disgust (maybe they'd improve customer service??) however I said "I'm sorry, but there is too much salt.
It's inedible." The waitress just looked vacant and confused... Maybe that wasn't clear. "I can't eat it I'm sorry." She just took it away.

Then at the end when we got the bill, a tall man, I presume a manager, just said politely (shocking I know!) I've taken the pie off your bill for you.

I am grateful for that and thank you to him.

However, cheap is not synonymous with terrible. Salvana's is a good case reference here, or the strawberry.

New chef and customer service skills needed here. I'm not going back though, I don't think my kidneys could survive another dose of sodium like that!

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
“Should have gone to iceland!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

I was apprehensive about going to jeffersons after my last visit where the waiter was some what rude. he took our drinks order and when he returned he became irrate when we told him we would like the bill for the drinks as we were not hungry he slammed the bill on the table and stormed off, my mum and I felt very uneasy and promptly left. After a year or so and hearing great reviews from friends a group of us went for a family meal. I ordered some sort of chicken melt club sandwich type thing... staff were young and indifferent. No smiles insight on this visit. Food arrived really quickly, very good as kids were starving. Food was cheap too. All meals pretty much the same standard except mine which I did not eat. never in my life have I sent something back . My chicken sandwich was not grilled as described. It had cleary been microwaved...the cheap bun had became tough and shrivelled, the chicken breast was luke warm part way through and cold in the middle. The cheese was only part melted in places. I politly informed the waitress that my chicken was not cooked through. She became loud and confrotational saying there nothing wrong with it and she eats them all the time. I was taken a back by her reaction. I also told her that health and safety legislation states that pre cooked chicken needs to reheated at 63 degrees c min. She became more irate. Refused to take the meal back into the kitchen.There appeared to be no management around either. The rest of the group ate their iceland standand home fried meals whilest I stood there aguing with the young lady. I said never mind ill have the bill please minus my meal. The young lady was extreamly anxious about removing my order from the bill. She had little people skills and looked far too young to be behind the bar alone. Needless to say we have not returned.

• Visited October 2012