“Great food,great rooms,great bar!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Ship Inn

The Ship Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Barrow-in-Furness
The Ship Inn
You added The Ship Inn to your Saves list
Piel Island, Barrow-in-Furness, England   |
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Great food,great rooms,great bar!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We arrived on the island and were met by Sheila and Steve. We were taken to our accommodation and I was pleasantly surprised by everything I seen. Starting with the bar which had a beautiful log burner and great character, not forgetting the mouth watering ales and lagers!, My room had a very comfortable double bed boasting a memory foam mattress, an en-suite shower which was so powerful and nice to wake up too! The food was the best food I've tasted in a long time which is all freshly cooked by Steve with local produce.We worked on Piel Island for two weeks and Steve cooked a different meal for lunch and dinner every day. All in all Sheila and Steve are lovely people and should be very proud of what they have achieved with The Ship Inn............take a bow

Room Tip: All rooms are great
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled on business

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

We won a night in the ship inn, pile island, in a charity auction. Armed with our prize we eventually managed to make the trip to this previously unheard of place. It is very quirky having to hitch a lift on a small ferry boat, but this serves only to make the whole event more memorable. The greeting was warm, the beer top notch, the food was spot on.......15minutes to walk around the island resulted in doing the walk in differing ways. Obviously well patronised by visiting yachts at all times.
The room was clean and well maintained. No TV due to no power on the island, save for the generator !
Breakfast in the morning was brilliant too, followed by a walk around the island once more whilst waiting for the ferry to get back to the mainland.
All in all very memorable, I only wish I had taken my shorts, the climate on pile seems to be a tad warmer than elsewhere.
Lots of bird and seal watching to be had and what's left of the old castle to explore.
We will be back !!!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

We went as a group to Piel island this weekend, most of our friends camped whilst my partner and I and another couple stayed at the Inn. We all had a fab time and the staff were friendly and accommodating at all times. The rooms were lovely; cosy, comfortable and clean with tasteful décor and amazingly comfortable beds. Clean bathrooms, hot shower and fluffy thick towels. Breakfast was great, check-out was flexible and the island is a great spot for a weekend away.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
letchworth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

my wife and i went there for a day trip only, we enjoyed the castle and all the history and scenery, but after reading about the lovely food and atmosphere we were very dissapointed at the food. i ordered succulent fresh prawns in piripiri cream at £12 and my wife ordered homemade fish pie. i got about 8 prawns about the size of a 20 pence piece in cream( piripiri ? ) my wife got what looked like a readymeal fish pie both served with a handfull of chips both at£12!!!! and as for the venue it is more like a glorified cafe. defo not fit for a king!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Barrow in Furness, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

The place is lovely and we were served by 2 very lovely friendly ladies in the evening who were brilliant and made the stay slightly better! But when we arrived we were 'greeted' by a very rude woman who basically looked us up and down and thought she was above us.. Same woman also served us for breakfast in the morning and again was horrible and rude and thinks she is better than everyone else! She doesn't deserve to work with the general public if she can't smile every now and then and be polite! Also has problems on return and when we phoned up to enquirer out something the woman (who sounded like the same woman who served us) practically shouted down the phone and me again was horrible! Will NEVER go back there due to the service we received and will never recommend to friends and family. I wouldn't go to work and speak to people like that and I don't expect others to do it! Why work behind a bar in a pub if you aren't sociable and friendly? Get some staff training sorted and maybe people would return! Wish we never spent the money we did now as between us all we spent a lot.. Wasted due to poor service.. If there was somewhere else to go on the island for food I would have walked out!!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Guisborough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

First stop after getting off the ferry was the Ship Inn and home of the legendary King of Peel. Had a drink there first in the beer garden as the weather was glorious with plans to eat there later. Steve (the King) gave us a friendly greeting or as best he could while grimacing on his crutches. He apologised for not being a very good advert for his own food as he tucked into a Pot Noodle. The pub interior was basic and there was a nice little curio room where items of interest were on display. Later on my son ordered the gammon which was ok but he was not overfaced. I ordered the king prawn and scallops. Having nibbled on the odd prawn, mushroom and onion I thought I would try a scallop ... only to find there were none! There were only two main ingredients to the dish I think we were all puzzled how the cook managed to forget one of them especially when there were only two meals to do ... god help her on a busy day. They took my plate from me and completely cooked the lot afresh with apologies. The delay meant my son had finished by the time my proper dish arrived. Friendly people, food ok, pub basic with a cold feel. Best seen on a sunny day I think. Returned on the ferry so my experience was food and drink with no use of the accommodation.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Windermere, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

The three of us decided we would like to go somewhere a bit different, we didn't know what to expect or how to get there so we rang the Ship Inn and were given excellent directions by the landlady(Queen). We crossed on the ferry and headed for the Inn as it was raining, we had an excellent lunch washed down with the "best beer ever" our beer expert claimed. We explored the Island and castle and had a word with the animals. The Island has great energy,and an interesting history, go there,enjoy.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Ship Inn? Share your experiences!