“Perfect retreat!! ” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dene House

You added Dene House to your Saves list
Dene House
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Kendal Road, Bowness-on-Windermere LA23 3EW, England   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Perfect retreat!! ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I took my partner here for his birthday - we were only there for a night so I wanted to make sure we were we situated within walking distance and it was perfect.

The hosts were perfect - gave you your privacy but were there to help when you needed them. The breakfast was one of the best I've ever had - fresh and local produce and they couldn't have impressed more!! Amazing homemade granola and yoghurt!!

Will certainly be returning - the perfect getaway location :-)

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Dene House is located off the main room so it's easily accessible by whichever means of transport. We're a group of friends who made last minute booking via booking.com yet the rates were still competitive. We were warmly welcomed and shown to our rooms. Each room is uniquely decorated, kept tidy, supplied with mini fridge, a kettle (& teabags, instant coffee), and TV as expected. The guest (on the 1st floor) at single room (with shabby chic decor and Ducal furniture set) is allocated a private bathroom across the landing, whereas double rooms are ensuites.

The breakfast service was excellent. Once we were seated, the staff was attentive taking orders on how we liked our breakfast. There's a good selection of fruit, yoghurt, cereal, juice etc in the breakfast room which we could help ourselves whilst waiting for the cooked breakfast.

Overall, it's a wonderful stay and we would recommend to family and friends.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Had a great few days in the Lakes staying at Dene House. It is about 2.8 km from the station in Windermere and a minute's walk from the waterfront. I was cycling around the area, getting some training in for the Fred Whitton Sportive. This area was ideal for this as you can reach all the main cycling areas easily. They were very accommodating with my bike, with a secure place in the shed for it. My room was the single - comfortable and clean. The bathroom is not ensuite but it is private (just for the single room occupant) and just across the hallway. Wifi worked well, TV in the room with Freeview, hairdryer and ironing board if you need it. The breakfast was very good, continental available, plus full English made to order. Lots of little nice touches too - homemade scone and tea on arrival, was able to leave the key with them when I went cycling so I didn't have to carry the key with me. Overall, very nice, would recommend.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled solo
Southport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

My partner and I visited here in February and we could not have picked a better place, we even stayed an extra night. The people who ran it were really friendly and could not do enough for us. The location was great a couple of mins walk from bowness town. We are definetly planning on going back.

Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2015

My girlfriend and I stayed at Dene House Fri 20 Mar - Sun 22 Mar 2015, and everything was faultless. The double en suite room was spacious and the beds were massive and extremely comfy! All the standard things you'd expect from a B&B were spot on with extra bonuses too like the tea and homemade shortbread biscuits we were given on arrival. Our room came with freeview tv, coffee/tea and our own mini-fridge. Breakfast was delicious. The first morning I had a full English with all the trimmings, and on our final morning I had smoked salmon with scrambled eggs, which i could eat ten times over. Dene House is a 5min (if that) stroll from the town centre, which has lots of restaurants and pubs (recommend the albert for pub lunch). Then probably another 5min walk from there to the edge of the lake and boat taxi pier (suggest a trip to Ambleside - great views from a pub called lakesedge). Ian who runs Dene House was friendly, helpful and his service at breakfast was brilliant. He recommended a couple of restaurants that were great too. In summary, brilliant.

Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Roanoke, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2015

I had done some reviews of local bed and breakfasts in the local area and I was trying to stay on the cheap end. I was a solo traveler from the USA with no real plans. The places I looked online ended up being more expensive when I showed up in person so I just decided to walk into a random place that had a vacancies sign. I stumbled on the Dene House and was a little concerned it was more than I wanted to pay at 45 pounds a night. However, I soon learned it was all worth it. I stayed in a single room that had a private bath that wasn't connected. The bathroom was amazing very clean and spacious. It also had those soaps I had come to expect at hotels in the USA but hadn't found in the UK. The bed was amazingly comfortable. Complementary coffee, tea, and hot chocolate was included in the room. Wifi was also free. I learned when I checked in that I was the only one staying there that night. Still they put out the full buffet breakfast out in the morning and cooked a full breakfast for me. The food was delicious and kept me full most of the day despite the fact that I spent all day hiking.

The building is on a side street just outside of the center of town so definitely close to everything. Very close to the water as well although you can't see the lake from the B&B. I definitely got more than my money's worth and recommended it to my UK friends if they are ever in the area. I know if I go back to the UK I'll definitely back a stop back here. It is truly a great place to stay.

Room Tip: The single rooms have a private bath but it isn't connected and you'll have to go out into t...