“A pleasant stay.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Oakbank House

You added Oakbank House to your Saves list
Oakbank House
5.0 of 5 Guest house   |   Helm Road, Bowness-on-Windermere LA23 3BU, England   |
Wetherby, United Kingdom
“A pleasant stay.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

My partner pick out this Bed & Breakfast via the internet. It is a well decorated, comfortable and inviting place. When we arrived we were greeted by a builder working in one of the first floor rooms, as the owner was out on an errand. The builder a very pleasant man, was told to expect us and so provided us with our room key and advised us that the owner would be back later to advise us on the facilities. We found our room on the second floor and entered the room. My first impressions were of a well decorated, light and airy room. My partner I think was a little disappointed as she had booked what was described as a 'superior' room, but was smaller than she had expected. There was room to walk around the double bed, with bed side cabinets either side, flat screen tv on the wall, a small travel kettle with tea, coffee and milk. Biscuits and small bowl of chocolates. There was also a small decanter of sherry with two glasses. Nice sized wardrobe and chest of draws on which stood the kettle etc. The room also had en suite, with shower and bath. The en suite was clean and modern, however the bath was very small which, I at 5' 8" felt as though I was bathing in a sink !!!!!

I met the owner as I went back an forth to our car as I collected our luggage. A very pleasant and helpful man. He advised me that there were gym and swimming facilitates at our disposal at the hotel next door if we so wished.

The windows provided a very nice view of the town and of lake Windernere, however, the windows were only single glazed and suffered with condensation first thing in the morning.

The heating was very good in the evening and through the night, however, this must have been turned off at some point through the night and so, the room was chilly in the morning.

The breakfast room was very nice. Spacious, high ceiling with good views of the lake. The food was very good as was the service.

Oakbank House is located in Bowness on Windermere itself. There are plenty of places to dine out within the town, with a few shops and a Tesco express.

We spent three comfortable nights at Oakbank and would stay again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Oakbank House the same time as chillimillie and I was flabbergasted to read Bradford Taylor 's review. As we checked out at the same time (myself and CM) I can honestly say at no point were there any raised voices/verbal abuse in actual fact we left on a pleasant note chatting to Danny about New Year's Eve and what he had planned for 2013 .. The only people in the hallway were us and Danny so I think Bradford Taylor has got his/her wires crossed, and to say CM,s review was rude I suggest had they spent a night in room 14 (the hobbit hole) they may have been posting a different review. We were witness to the room and it was cold, damp and had no window .. Nothing more than a converted storage room .. Website states 12 rooms and as this was room 14 that says it all (overspill room) . As for mine and my husband's opinion of the stay our room was ok but unlike many others we were not impressed with the idea of sherry in the room I wouldn't entertain drinking from anything which didn't come in a sealed bottle YUK !!!! Breakfast was average,cooked options plentiful but breakfast bar bleak and boring,not enough choice.. More 3* than 5* far too expensive at £320 for 3 nights for what it offered.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
OakbankHouse, Owner at Oakbank House, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
I am sorry you have taken exception to the review from another guest who clearly was unhappy with your friends behaviour. I have no control over other people's opinions and as with anything anybody writes Trip Advisor are happy to publish it. Sorry that it has upset you.
I feel you are now taking out your anger on me and running my guest house down in rather a contradictory manner.
As you stated in your review we had a very pleasant exchange on your departure when I asked if everything was OK your reply was very positive and you said you had had a lovely weekend and everything was great. Now that you have read BT's review it now seems everything was far from great.
To address a couple of your points: Room 14 is 20 sq m. That is not a storage cupboard. The reason it is number 14 is because we already have a room 12 and nobody has a room 13 because some people are superstitious and wouldn't like staying in a room numbered 13. Next time you visit a restaurant or hotel ask them if they have a Room or table 13 ?
I am sorry you found our breakfast bar boring? Six cereal choices, fresh fruit, dried fruit, Yoghurts and more!
I am sorry you felt the need to vent your anger about another guest on me but I suppose that is the way it goes sometimes. I wish you all the best in the future. Danny
Lancaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We had a lovely stay over New Year and I was quite surprised to read the comments of the previous review. Unfortunately I think we were the ones that had booked Room 4 the day Chillimillie (and after reading her review I can see why she would be called Chilly!!) was moved to another room. I actually felt sorry for Danny trying to placate a very rude woman. You can tell she is rude by her review and I certainly wouldn't have put up with her verbal abuse and shouting which unfortunately we were witness to. If I was a guest house owner I would have asked her to leave but then you see her type in all walks of life. Anyway enough of Ms Chilly.
We had a great stay and our room (the pink room) was lovely and had a great lake view. We didnt have a problem with the shower and enjoyed the sherry and sweets which you dont normally get in b&b's. We had no problem with the TV or the Wi-Fi. All the staff were very helpful and the breakfast was delicious. Again the dining room also had great Lake Views. We look forward to booking a trip again in a few months. Many Thanks

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Wolverhampton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Oh Danny Boy!!! There the song ends, the lakes may be calling us back but Oakbank guesthouse definitely isn't. Bowness is lovely, nestling by the lake, it is very picturesque, with plenty of places to eat and drink - all you need for a short break. However not quite so adaptable was Oakbank House. We were disappointed with some of the elements in Room 4 e.g. a shower which is either extremely hot (dangerously so) or very cold within nano seconds- you know the type I mean. The unattractive damp patch under the window and an unwelcoming cold feel to the room upon entry, oh and by the way if you want a cup of hot chocolate - you have to be willing to share. Only one sachet per room, how quaint! Oh Danny Boy!!! - do not underestimate first impressions - stop being mean with the heating, it will cost you in the long run. We had agreed to move after two nights, something to do with not requesting a lake view. I did not make the booking and didn't feel I had any option which is why we then ended up in Room 14 aka The Hobbit Hole. Accessed from the carpark, it had all the charm and warmth of a badly converted garage. Oh well, it was only for one night. The day was spent enjoying the open countryside, it really is a lovely place. We returned to Oakhouse to dry out and warm up, unfortunately the room was cold, the radiator barely lukewarm and no other heating available other than a travel dryer. The TV kept freezing and there was no WIFI connection (despite being assured by Danny this room had perfect connection). Only a contact number was available so I left a message with the owner and headed for the pub. This was a lot more charming and more importantly-WARM. To give him his due Danny he did try to sort out the problem but as I don't like to complain this isn't really good enough. Prevention is always better than a cure. I would like to leave you on a positive note. Both my husband and I found the staff friendly and the breakfast experience was very enjoyable. As the previous reviewer suggested this is more three star than five.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Blackpool
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

We stayed here after searching for 5 star accomadation to celebrate our engagement. This place is in a great location but struggle to see how it has a 5 star rating. We had a lovely time breakfast was very nice but the staff were just so rude and miserable. I asked for some cordial at breakfast as I'm not a fan of orange juice but the only cold drinks available were orange juice or tap water, I know it's not a big thing but it was just the cocky arrogant attitude in which I was told and to be honest I would expect a broader range from a 5 star. A really good thing about this hotel was the flexible check in and out times really helped after a heavy night. Danny who I presume is the owner was helpful with locating restaurant etc but just felt he didn't take criticism very well and could come across a little abrupt but all in all was a pleasant stay.

• Stayed December 2012
OakbankHouse, Owner at Oakbank House, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
I am sorry you were unhappy with the service you received during your stay. I have addressed this matter with my staff and I can assure you they were flabbergasted to read your comments.
I do remember speaking to you shortly after you checked in and you were disappointed with your room because your partner had told you it was a "suite" and we do not have suites. I apologised for this and you said everything was fine.
Thank you for mentioning how helpful I was with restaurant selection and check out flexibility.
I do not understand your comments suggesting you "didn't think I would take criticism well"
To make such an assumption and then mark us down on the review is difficult to answer really. Suffice to say if a guest complains my first reaction is to put the matter right where possible.
If I made negative assumptions about you and printed them I suspect you would be very upset !!
Thank you for staying with us and I apologise for not meeting your expectations. Danny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We stumbled across this lovely B&B last minute when another hotel let us down, as they had double booked. It had been a few years since we last stayed in the lakes. We stayed for one night and liked it so much we're planning our next stay. The location is perfect being in a central position, only a few minutes walk to the lake and being on a side street so it is quiet. The house itself is charming and cosy. We loved the views of the lake from the communal lounge and breakfast room. We found there was enough choice at breakfast, it was freshly prepared and hot. We did get chance to use the leisure facilities which was great after a chilly day sightseeing. Danny the owner made us feel very welcome. We would definitely recommend this B&B.

• Stayed October 2012
dannyt, Owner at Oakbank House, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to complete your review.
It is always a pleasure to receive such high praise and it helps us know what we need to replicate to ensure continued success.
We look forward to welcoming you once again to Oakbank House.
Cumbria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We have stayed here several times and had a lovely two night break recently. The staff were welcoming as ever. Our room was beautifully appointed with fab lake views. Breakfast excellent. Would definitely recommend to family and friends and we look forward to returning at New Year.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us and I was pleased to see that once again you enjoyed your stay here.
As always we appreciate your feedback as it helps us to improve our service. Danny

Been to Oakbank House? Share your experiences!