“Trading on it's position” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Storrs Hall

You added Storrs Hall to your Saves list
Storrs Hall
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Newby Bridge Road, Storrs Park, Bowness-on-Windermere LA23 3LG , England   |
Stone, United Kingdom
“Trading on it's position”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I have admired Storrs Hall for many years and decided to stay there as part of a weeks break to the Lake District after spotting it again on a Lake cruise. I rang up to find out a dinner, bed and breakfast rate and was given a room for myself, my wife and our young daughter. Upon arrival we checked in and paid. We had to rush for dinner as the only sitting we were able to get was at 7pm. (We didn't arrive until 6pm, so no time for a shower).

We were then led into a very cold library style room where we sat with some menus and ordered drinks. It was about 7.15pm by this time. We sat for nearly half an hour without receiving our aperitifs. I was then told that our young daughter wasn't allowed in the restaurant. Now, having already told the staff her age when I booked for dinner, bed and breakfast, I was rather annoyed.

A message was sent to the manager, or chef, and finally we were allowed to go to our table- at 8pm. My daughter was now very hungry, we were very unhappy, and if I hadn't pre paid for the night, then I would have left the Hotel and gone somewhere else.

The food to be honest was very good, although I can't actually remember what we ate. We retired back to our room, which was cold. We slept fairly well.

The next morning we had a lovely breakfast, but were aware that the Hotel was being transformed into a Wedding Venue for the weekend. We felt like we were not welcome at this point, all of the staff seemed very rushed and pre occupied. We had a brief walk around the gardens and left.

It was not the night that I was looking forward to, and I would certainly not go back to Storrs Hall. There are better hotels in Windermere, with better more welcoming staff, better atmospheres and equally nice views.

Upon our return home I did e-mail the hotel and exchanged a couple of replies with the General manager. I was told that we would experience a better time if we tried the Hotel again. I haven't taken them up on this offer as we stay at another hotel on Windermere, which I can not fault. We have been there now on numerous occasions.

If you have Children, then I would check with the Hotel before booking, to see if they will be welcomed into the Hotel. I felt that the Hotel should really have said "no" to our booking request, we could have gone somewhere where we would have been welcomed.

This is the first negative review that I have ever written, but I feel that I have to write it, and it has taken me a long time to do so, but each time I think of Storrs Hall, my thoughts come back to this.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Having dined at the hotel before, we decided to take advantage of a fantastic dinner, bed and breakfast deal this past weekend. Arrived Friday afternoon and stayed through to Sunday. Do take advantage of their deals as they are really a fantastic opportunity.
The hotel has had some redecorating done since we last visited and the public areas of the hotel downstairs are now tastefully elegant. The rest of the hotel feels as if it is in the process of being redecorated. Our beautifully large bedroom overlooking the lake had gorgeous windows, a huge and very comfortable bed and had obviously been re-wallpapered, but the paper didn't quite match the (presumably older) curtains and hangings, the lamps were slightly shabby, and the bathroom was sadly outdated. Similarly, some areas of the hotel still feel a little overstuffed with furniture and knickknacks, some of which is lovely but most of which is pointless (empty china cabinets upstairs for example). It just feels like it needs someone to come in and have a good clear out. We did notice that the lodges in the grounds have been freshly re-done and look very pretty and welcoming. Hopefully they will get around to doing this further updating because really, this is such a lovely place.
The staff are super friendly and they love their work because many have been at the hotel for years. And why not, because it is peaceful place and the grounds are beautiful--it looked like a Christmas card in the frost and snow. Set in several acres of its own land and on a small peninsula, on a winter morning we felt as if we had the lake to ourselves with just the swans and ducks for company.
We went down to the bar each evening and spent some time in front of the roaring fire. We ate in the lovely dining room and thoroughly enjoyed the excellent and creative food. Indeed, the food was a highlight of our stay and chef Conor Toomey and his team must be commended.
Overall, we had a wonderful, romantic break and will definitely be back.

Carlisle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Heard about the hotel, so decided to stay as it was in the area we wanted. Arrived in the dark an following day the weather was pretty grim with heavy wind and rain. However I could see how lovely this would be on a fine day. Right on the lake, great views. Staff all great. Didnt have dinner there as chose Indian in Windermere. Breakfast was lovely.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We had an amazing time at Storrs Hall Hotel. Before we arrived the hotel contacted me to see what time we wanted to dine in the evening. They also arranged for suprise Peronis to be in the room for our arrival as it was my partners birthday. The evening meal was very enjoyable and the staff suprised us with birthday fizz cocktails, very thoughtful! All the staff were extremely attentive and friendly. The views from the room and from the dining area were stunning looking over the lake. We would love to return, highly recommended.

Room Tip: Lake view rooms have great views
Bromley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We recently attended a family wedding at this iconic hotel and was housed in one of the hotels cabins. It was very basic with furniture and the room itself looked like a student hostel. The restaurant we attended for dinner was sent in a very beautiful room however with no atmosphere at all! It was like eating in a morgue! The new chef clearly wanted to impress with "Michelin" style menu which was flavourless and bland! Should have kept to the style of the hotel with hearty fare which would have gone down a treat.
I do have to say that the staff were incredible. Its such a shame that the hotel did not live up to its staff!!

Room Tip: perhaps stay in the hotel and not the cabins
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
Sarah E, General Manager at Storrs Hall, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you for sharing your comments here on Trip Advisor.

I was sorry to learn that you did not enjoy your stay 100%, but pleased to read your comments about our staff.

I am delighted to inform you that our self catering accommodation is about to undergo refurbishment to modernise and enhance. I can also confidently inform you that the feedback that we receive for the style of food which we serve in the dining room is generally very positive, but can understand that it may not be to your taste which is why we also offer our all day dining menu option so we can ensure that all guests can be catered for.
As to your 'morgue' comment, I can only apologise that we appeared to have a quiet night in the dining room on the night that you were with us, sadly these occurrences sometimes happen in the lake district during winter time.

Once again, thank you for sharing your comments.

Yours sincerely

Sarah Evans
kendal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Had a lovely afternoon tea here on sat 29/11/2014 ... The staff were very professional and the food was excellent would certainly recomend this either for yourself or as a present for someone at £16.50 and a view to die for you carnt go wrong . I would also like to say how amazing the xmas decorations look it felt very xmasy in there on saturday afternoon .

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
Brisbane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This accommoadtion is in the lakes district of the UK facing Lake Windermere, the longest of all the lakes. It is a very picturesque setting and great for taking photos. The Hall is old world charm with fine furnishings throughout. Our room was a very good size with a large attached ensuite bathroom. Breakfast was a La Carte and delicious with a wide choice. Overall the food was excellent. Nearby lake cruises in Bowness were very good ranging from 45 minutes to half days at reasonable prices.

Room Tip: Lake facing is essential.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Storrs Hall? Share your experiences!