“Lovely old pub with bags of charm” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: English
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Lovely old pub with bags of charm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

We visited here on a very wet Monday lunchtime in january. In the summer I could imagine it would be heaving however we were the only customers so have only given 4 stars for atmosphere!!
Had the nibbles menu and the portions were huge and glad didn't order a full meal! The service was excellent and would certainly come back.
The decor is very interesting and adds to its charm! A must for anyone playing "I Spy" lol.
On the whole excellent

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

London, United Kingdom
“If you love your old pubs - this is a must visit.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Built 1612.

The Hole in't Wall is the oldest pub in Bowness, and it derives its name from the small window through which ale was once passed to servants watching over their masters' horses outside in the yard.

Is charming to sit in and have a drink by the fire, it has kept it's traditional chrarm. We didn't eat there but the food we did see coming out looked ample.

And for those book fans - It was the setting for Charles Dickens' narrative, "The Champion Wrestler of All England."

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London, United Kingdom
“Really great place to visit. Food good also”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

We went last night and had a few drinks and some food.

This pub is really the perfect example of a country pub and it is in the bustling Lakeside town of Bowness right in lake Windermere.

Atmosphere, decor, novelties all A1. Stuffed pheasant, rabbits, foxes etc on the walls. Lots of traditional pub stuff on walls and a great log fire. They also had a wicked collection of speciality spirits especially whiskey.

Food wise I would give it a good score taking into account it is only a pub and not a pretentious gastro pub. The menu was very real and apparently all home made. I had the fish pie and can say it tasted and appeared genuine and was very good. My partner had scampi so that would be frozen anyway.

Good small selection of real ales.

blackpool
“Interesting old pub, not too sure of going back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

My partner and I went to this pub on a recommendation from a couple of people we know. They mainly suggested it as we like our history and interesting pubs. The exterior is lovely and quaint, and the inside is full of trinkets stuck to the wall and ceiling. Its tiny though, I cant imagine a family sitting in there and having a meal, unless they sit outside which isn't practical in the winter.
We ordered off the lunch menu and got an open ham sandwich with chips. I cant fault it, wonderful tasty local ham presented beautifully. The rest of the menu was quite restricted though, i cant comment on full proper meals, but they didn't grab my attention from the menu. I think this pub would be better for a light lunch sat outside in the summer. Don't miss it though, at least go in for one drink and have a look at the decor!

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Perfect country pub”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

This is one of the nicest traditional pubs we've ever been to (and we're into our proper pubs!). Particularly as we visited in wintertime and the cosy atmosphere with the fires on was really welcome after a chilly days walking!

I really loved the decor and there was a great selection of tasty beers.

I was a bit disappointed with the food; had beef pie which was ok. It filled a hole but there could have been more meat, pretty sure the veg and chips were just bog standard frozen.

I'd say it's unmissable for the atmosphere and beer, but maybe eat somewhere else first

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere