“Wonderful and exquisite craftsmanship an 'Arts and Crafts' masterpiece” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Blackwell Arts and Crafts House

Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Preston, United Kingdom
34 attraction reviews
“Wonderful and exquisite craftsmanship an 'Arts and Crafts' masterpiece”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

We were lucky enough to visit Blackwell House at the same time that there was a Moorcroft exhibition to celebrate their centenary. Avid Moorcroft fans we were able to experience two exhibitions in one; the wonderful arts and crafts house and the craftsmanship that goes into making a Moorcroft piece of pottery. The café was lovely and the staff very pleasant and obliging. Well worth a trip.

Visited January 2014

London, United Kingdom
“Delightful visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our visit to Blackwell. It is full of detail and encourages to tarry and sit to soak up the atmosphere. I especially liked the memories scrap book of the time as a school. Not one for small children, but we loved it.

Windermere, United Kingdom
“Not a bad little day out...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

Was a nice trip out with my Father, however i wish there were staff around more available so that i could ask questions about the art work displayed. They did have a lovely drift wood collection which i particularly like but wish there was more about the designers.

Blackpool, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
“Rainy Friday In December”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

My partner and I visited Bowness from 17th December-20th 2013 and stayed in a lovely little lodge. With visiting in December, there isn't much open but I found the house online before we came. On the 20th, it was absolutely pouring it down with rain and we had looked round the village for a while. We decided to get a taxi to the house. It was about £5/£6 from the village, much better than a half an hour walk in the rain on a road with no pavement! We pulled up to the house and it was immediately stunning. In the cold december rain, the view was breathtaking. We went inside and a lovely lady greeted us and asked if we were wanting to go inside the house so we said yes. It was about 3.20pm and she told us it would be closing at around 4pm, but we were welcome to go in until then. She also asked if we were students and we said yes, we showed her our cards and we were allowed in for free! Really good considering it closed in 40 minutes. I'm 18 and my partner is 21, but we love museums and things like this so we were looking forward to it. The lady told us to find some time to sit in one of the windows and look at the view, so that's one of the first things we did, and it was lovely. We were the only two people in the actual house, and although it was beautiful inside, and the art was fascinating, I was a little creeped out. That's only because it was a very erie day though! We found a room with the history of the house in and I found this very interesting! I read about the house once being an old school and that we were sat in the old head teachers office. I also found it lovely that the students from all those years ago had revisited and their hand written letters about their return were in the little book on the side. After that, I felt a bit too creeped out to head up to the top floor with it being just the two of us and a really windy day, so we headed for the cafe. We got two hot chocolates but were told it did close at 4.00pm, so we drank them as quickly as possible! With us being young, a few older people were giving us funny looks in the cafe but we didn't mind. I'm sad we didn't get to purchase anything from the shop but it's definitely worth a visit if you're in Bowness!

Rochester, United Kingdom
36 attraction reviews
“Amazing place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

We absolutely loved this house. The views of Lake Windermere are stunning indeed. The interior is breathtaking. We visited on a Tuesday and payed £ 7.20 per adult and nothing for our 13 year old son. Definitely worth the money. Paradise for art lovers of that period! The shop is full of beautiful gifts, very arty.