“Loved it” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients, Romantic
Description: Award winning dining just a five minute stroll from the shores of Lake Windermere.
“Loved it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

Did not disappoint. Pig plate was awesome & egg & soldier dessert was yummy. Would highly recommend. Good friendly service too.

Folkestone, United Kingdom
“Great Surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

In Windermere for a spring break --a Monday evening -- very cold and most places shut but a chance recomendation led us to Portos . 7.30PM and a very warm reception and into a busy restaurant . Could not have been better -wonderfull food , beautifully cooked , great staff - has to be the best in Bowness -would recomend to anyone .

Halifax, United Kingdom
“Best restaurant in Bowness by a mile”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I recently returned to this restaurant whilst on holiday. I booked only the day before for my husbands birthday, but there was no problem not only fitting us in but choosing a particular table we wanted.

The meal we had was absolutley fantastic, they clearly have an excellent chef. My husband had steak which he said was the best he had ever had and the rest of the meal was also top quality.

We were served by a very pleasant and efficient young waitress, and the owner or manager came over a couple of times to ask if everything was OK.

At the end of the meal my husband was present with a tray with chocolates and candle and Happy Birthday on. Nice, simple touch.

I would recommend anybody who likes good food served without fuss and a pleasant atmosphere to make this restaurant their first port of call.

Newcastle Upon Tyne
“Lovely main course and desserts to die for!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We went as a party of 4 on a Thursday evening. We had not booked and they fitted us in. We chose the restaurant because of it's high reviews on this site.

We did not have starters as there was nothing on the menu that we fancied, so we were advised there would be a twenty minute wait for our main courses. We all had something different, Cumbrian rib-eye for myself, which was cooked perfectly and the accompanying vegetables were very tasty, Cod Loin. Pan roasted chicken and Porto pig plate for the other members of our party. Apparently the Porto pig plate was 'melt in the mouth' gorgeous. The chicken too was lovely but the person who had the cod loin didn't enjoy it as much.

Then on to dessert and in my opinion this really made the meal for me and my friend who both had the Apple Mille Feuille. Creme caramel and panna cotta along with apples in a sort of jelly. Absolutely to die for! Our husbands both had the cheese board and both really enjoyed this.

The one negative I would say about this restaurant was the price of the drinks, which I thought were a bit expensive. The food though, I would say was exquisite.

The point dropped is only because of the price of the drinks and I am sure when we come back to Bowness, we will return to this lovely restaurant!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Had a very nice meal here. The staff were friendly and the service was good, but place lacked atmosphere don't know if this was because the restaurant was fairly quiet when we visited.

Visited March 2013