When I booked I was pleased to hear the hotel had rooms with wheel-in showers so I was not anticipating problems getting in through the front door. There are no dropped curbs so in an electric wheelchair you are faced with waiting for the hotel porter to bring out a ramp. Once on the pavement the same ramp is deployed to get you up the two small steps into the foyer. Unfortunately the ramp is too long so you can't get onto it without falling off the pavement!
The room we were allocated was on the first floor and had a huge wet-room style bathroom. What a shame they did not consider the needs of a wheelchair user. The toilet was tucked up tight to the wall so a wheelchair style shower chair will not go over it. Even on a compact chair there is no room for your legs. The wash basin is a joke. It's too small and set far too low. It has a huge tap. no plug and no overflow. Then there is the wheel-in shower. First you have got to get over a ridge of tiles then you find the flip up seat has been screwed to the floor in the down position. As a result you cannot use the shower properly.
We loved the rest of the hotel and found the staff really helpful, dinner was excellent but breakfast did not represent good value.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Standing on the shore of Lake Windermere, the historic Macdonald Old England Hotel and Spa is an ideal base for exploring the Lake District. The award-winning Restaurant offers unrivaled views over mature lawns to the lake. Four flexible business suites make the Old England a natural favorite as your next meeting or conference venue, while achieving a work-life balance is effortless at our luxury hotel spa. Inquire about exclusive use for weddings and conferences. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Agoda, Despegar.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Macdonald Old England
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa Bowness-On-Windermere, Lake District