We stayed for two nights between Christmas and New Year. We have had two previous stays here and know that you pay a premium for the location and service the hotel offers. We could not fault our room, the spa facilities and the service we received from the majority of the staff.
However... breakfast both mornings was a disaster. On the first morning we waited and waited for someone to take our hot breakfast order. After 30 mins my husband managed to stop one of the waiting staff and she did (quite angrily) take the order. Then we waited some more... nothing arrived. We asked to see the restaurant manager who then came to say he wouls 'push the order forward'. Ten minutes later, the order arrived- overcooked, cold beans. My husband didn't eat it. We explained this to the restaurant manager who apologised.
Day two:learning from the previous day we decided that when no-one had removed our cereal bowls or taken our order after 15 mins that we would stop a member of staff and actually ask for our hot food order to be taken. It was and arrived after 10 mins- food was cold although the plate was red hot. How do they manage that? Again, we couldn't eat it.
As we were checking out we explained our experiences with breakfast. We were told that we could expect a call from the duty manager... not had one yet.
So how do we sum up our visit? We are really fond of this hotel and we often stay in Macdonald hotels but after this visit we won't be back..the breakfast experience is better in a Premier Inn!
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Macdonald Old England
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa Bowness-On-Windermere, Lake District
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Standing on the shore of Lake Windermere, the historic Macdonald Old England Hotel and Spa is an ideal base for exploring the Lake District. The award-winning Restaurant offers unrivaled views over mature lawns to the lake. Four flexible business suites make the Old England a natural favorite as your next meeting or conference venue, while achieving a work-life balance is effortless at our luxury hotel spa. Inquire about exclusive use for weddings and conferences. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Orbitz, Tingo, Hotels.com, Otel and TripOnline SA so you can book your Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.