“Linthwaite House Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
London
“Linthwaite House Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2006

Linthwaite is a dream hotel in a dream location. Linthwaite gives its guests the ideal experience, not only of the hotel, but of the Lake District.

Words fail to describe my wonderful visit for a romantic break as a newly wed bride before my honeymoon. We stayed in room 14, and what a view we had! Linthwaite brings the patchwork of gentle lakes and rugged mountains inside. It breathes the Lake District into its walls, its gardens, its food, and its service.

From outside, the hotel and its grounds are soaked in tranquillity, which is complemented by its pleasant interiors. The rooms are delightfully decorated with soothing touches.

The restaurant has a mostly relaxing quality. From the perfectly selected fresh lilies to the picturesque scrumptious impeccably served dinner, I was impressed. In the morning, we had an enjoyable breakfast in the room. The hotel promotes local fresh produce, and caters equally well for vegetarians too.

Not only does Linthwaite inhale the Lake District, it also exhales it! The hotel suggests and actively supports many ways to enjoy the Lake District. One can fish in the hotel’s accessed waters or even hire a bicycle from Linthwaite.

You can sense the skilful art in tenderly painting Linthwaite hugged by the Lake District, every step of your stay.

Whenever I think of the Eden of Lake District, I think of Linthwaite. They are one.

• Liked — Quality and service
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — Request a room with a view of the lakes.
  • Stayed July 2005, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2006

We stayed one night here in November and quite frankly it was delightful. This is a very comfortable relaxed well run small hotel. It is less formal than say Gilpin Lodge or Holbeck Ghyll which we have also stayed at and enjoyed. On the night we were there the owner was off and I really felt everyone who we were looked after by wanted us to enjoy our stay.
We had tea and sandwiches in the afternoon, dinner at night and breakfast in the morning and were served by quite a few of the hotel staff, all of which seemed well trained and did everything they could to make us feel at home. The hotel manager, a young lady worked all evening and seemed very on the ball but the team seemed to know what they were doing.
Of course somethings can be improved upon but quite frankly it would be very picky especially as this is a medium priced hotel and I really felt we had excellent value. There seemed to have been some comments about the food on Trip Adviser all I can say is that the choice on the menu was varied, well thought out and interesting and on top of that we were also offered a choice from a vegitarian menu which was also well thought out and included home made ravioli and freshly cooked risotto. The service was attentive and even though our waitress was young she looked after us all evening.
This is the sort of hotel that if you visit wanting a very comfortable relaxed break you will really enjoy it.
I look forward to our next visit.

• Liked — Stylish but classic
  • Disliked — I hate shower curtains!
  • Tips/Secrets — Turn up and enjoy your time here.
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Isle of Man
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2006

We have just returned from our second visit to The Linthwaite.

Once again the service was superb, the staff so helpful and the setting, with the view over Windermere, so peaceful and relaxing.

The quality of the food was out of this world, with dinner being the highlight of each day.

This is a delightful hotel and we would have no hesitation in recommending it.

• Liked — Service and quality of food
  • Disliked — Coming away!
  • Tips/Secrets — Relax and enjoy
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2006

Perfect location and really welcoming staff who went out of their way to ensure our stay was perfect.
Breakfasts and dinner were wonderful.

• Liked — Comfort and luxury
  • Disliked — Nothing
Ireland / Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2006

Firstly I am going to try to make this as complete as possible without going into too many unimportant details....

My Wife and I stayed at the Linthwaite House Hotel for 3 nights in early October. We used the special offer running at the time for 3 nights for the price of 2 with dinner inclusive on 2 of the nights.

First impressions were positive regarding the hotel, the setting is lovely, the views breathtaking and the gardens of the hotel itself are absolutely wonderful - well worth an hour or two's walk around.

We were given a lovely room (number 4) which had the most amazing view of the lake we stood there for a good 10 minutes after being shown to the room just looking out the window!

The issues started on the first night, the food which I had been really looking forward to after reading the reviews on this site was not up to much. I like to think that I have a good knowledge of food and wine and haven eaten in some very good restaurants in my life I have to say that I expected more from the Linthwaite house.

The food was just uninspiring and lacked seasoning of any kind. As an example I had the Quail as starter and it was a little on the cold side and as mentioned above a little bland. After dinner we retired to the sitting room area for our coffee, while we waited I had a nice whiskey, the problem was that after an hour of waiting and reminding the staff that we were still awaiting our coffee we gave up and told them to bring it up to our room. This is not the service we would have expected although the coffee did eventually arrive up to us in our room a good 70 minutes after we had finished our dinner.

Unfortunately the food did not improve on the second evening we eat in the restaurant with the same problems evident apart from the coffee which did turn up on time. I must also say that the dining room was a little on the cold side, just my impression but my wife also commented on this.

For the second day we had ordered bicycles from the hotel when we booked, looking forward to a nice days cycling we headed off after breakfast to collect the bicycles. They were at least 10 years old each one of them with no mudguards or any protection from water or dirt on the road. The chain was also off one bike. We straight away abandoned the idea and walked that day instead. Although no charge was taken for the bicycles as we did not use them they would have cost 8 pounds normally and for the standard of the bikes this is not acceptable.

Upon checking out of the hotel the bill was also incorrect as we were charged an additional fee for a dinner on the 2nd night which we did not have as it was not included in our rate. We pointed out that we had informed the staff that we would not be dining on the 2nd night but would have the 2nd evening dinner on the 3rd night of our stay and that therefore the charge was wrong. Although this was dealt with by the lady on reception and the charge removed from our bill it was disappointing to see it in the first place, perhaps a lack of communication between staff as in the coffee after dinner experience on the first night.

So how to sum up the Linthwaite House Hotel, well as the title suggests a bit of a 'mixed bag' really, the hotel and setting are wonderful, the views and gardens delightful. However there is no escaping the fact that it is not cheap and that one reason for paying the price is for the service and the included food both of which are well below par in our opinion.

Would I stay in the Linthwaite Hotel again or recommend it to my colleagues or friends? Unfortunately I think not.

• 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Yorkshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2006

We did not stay here - we went to have a look around with the intention of booking our wedding here and staying two nights. All I can say is that it had a very strange atmosphere. As soon as we arrived we felt uneasy and unwelcome. The owner seemed very uninterested in us despite the fact we were willing to spend thousands of pounds on our wedding. It was a very quiet, unnfriendly hotel where you felt you could not relax.

• Stayed December 2005
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
mikebevans, owner at Linthwaite House Hotel, responded to this review, October 5, 2006
I find it quite staggering that someone can rate our hotel when thy didn't stay; how can you judge for example value for money?
As the owner accused of not being interested in their wedding business - all I can say is we have a professional wedding co-ordinator who handles all wedding enquiries. I question whether this person has got the right hotel, as you don't get this impression about Linthwaite from other reviews.
Arlington, Va.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2006

My husband and I stayed here only for 2 nights Sept. 7-9, 2006, and wish we had a week there. Yes, the Linthwaite Hotel is lovely, set in a gorgeous setting overlooking lakes, surrounded by flowers, a pond, and more. Sitting on the terrace with a glass of champagne as we relaxed and wrote in our journal after the too-thrilling drive was like heaven! The dinners are delicious, and the 'rabbit 4 ways' dish was the most delicious I've eaten. We loved the way you go to one of the several small parlors 1/2 hour before dinner to sit over a drink and canapes, as you select your courses from menu. Beyond these areas, every single employee was so professional. I've not been to a hotel where every staff member had just the perfect amount of being available, aware of your needs, and helpful. Mike, the owner, is the one who carried in our bags. He promises to add a bit more soundproofing to our room before we return. And we are urging friends to stay there on their next trip to the UK.

• Liked — The staff, the setting, the food
  • Disliked — finding our way to the Lodge
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay at least 3 nights!!
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Linthwaite House Hotel? Share your experiences!