“Good food but...” 3 of 5 stars

+44 15394 43731
Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: British, Bar, Grill, Family Fare
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating, Special occasions
Description: The Village Inn, has recently been taken over and given a complete refurbishment. This amazing transformation must be seen! We serve food from 12pm until 10pm, serving fresh salads, homemade pasta, locally sourced meats on the grill, and amazing homemade cakes and desserts. Our modern and trendy bar offers beers from around the world with a great selection of wines, spirits, brandies and our freshly made cocktails. The Village Inn Bar and Grill is in the heart of Bowness on Windermere, its busy restaurant and bar make it a great place for locals and tourists a like. Come and see for yourself!
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Good food but...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

We really liked the Village Inn before the refurb but think it's gone a bit OTT with the huge mirrors and candelabras! The foods good and the barman was friendly and helpful offering us a taste before we bought a drink. The main thing that put us off, however, was the constantly loud music thumping out on to the street in the middle of the day!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
queensheadtroutbeck, Manager at Village Inn, responded to this review, April 27, 2013
I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed the food. I apologise that you felt the music was blaring outside, and we would have turned it down had you asked. We are, however, a bar and grill and, in my opinion, the atmosphere is electric. There are also a number of seats at a great distance from the speakers which may have been quieter for you.

I do hope to see you again soon, for some more great food!

Leeds, United Kingdom
“very rude and unfriendly”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

We called into this restuarant as it looked busy and a nice place for a drink and maybe to eat. We sat at the table by the fireplace whilst by husband went to the bar. He was there for more than 5 minutes and even though the bar wasn't busy the bar staff didnt serve him. He then came back to our table and I made eye contact with the floor staff for them to serve us but no one came near our table. I will never go back there again and I will not recommend it to anyone, ever.

• Visited April 2013
I am sorry to hear that you did not completely enjoy your experience. Seats in the bar area and outside are all order at the bar. We are a very busy and very popular bar and grill, but unfortunately, we do not always know what people are thinking.

For bar service, waiting 5 minutes isn't that long. Can I please ad that I'm sure if you were to try again even in the very busy summer period, the service would be exceptional provided you understand that 30/40 people may all be ordering at the same time. A wait is understandable at any busy destination unless in a 5 star establishment, of which the Lakes offers a number of highly recommended hotels and restaurants.

Here at the Village Inn we offer good food in an upbeat style, and at reasonable prices. And, as you mentioned we are very busy due to our popularity. I do hope to see you again.
“Walked straight out!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

Only went in for a drink and as I'm pregnant i fancied a non alcoholic cocktail instead of the usual orange juice, water or coke. Back home we have a brilliant cocktail bar that can turn a few famous cocktails into non alcoholic ones, Long Island iced tea non alcholic version is my favourite there and actually still feels like your having a cocktail! We entered and the place seemed really nice and was looking forward to a drink in there which is why I gave it a three for atmosphere, there were no non alcoholic cocktails on the cocktail list so I asked the bar man as im pregnant if they could turn any of them in to non alcholic ones, his response was basically if he did that the drink would just turn to ice cream!!!! As they had Long Island iced tea on the list (which doesn't contain cream or ice cream) I said how about one of those, which I knew can be done he said well that's just a coke then! As he was being sarky about it I just said don't bother and walked out!!! Just back at our room at the guest house having a water which must be one of the only things a pregnant woman should enjoy I guess!!! Was going to go for tea there tomorrow and glad he helped me with the choice not to bother! Tip for the management don't sell cocktails at such a high price if you don't have adequate cocktail bar staff or get some advice from some professionals to have a couple of non alcholic ones put on your list!!!!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Dear Madam,

As you have mentioned we did not used to offer a non-alcoholic cocktail menu, however, this is something we have introduced as a direct result of your feedback.

The barman who served you is a bit of a cheeky chappy and is known to many of the locals for his nature. He was trying to break the ice with his comment about the coke, and I apologise that this was taken the wrong way. He was very upset that his comment was taken to heart and brought it to my attention immediately. He has asked me to apologise on his behalf as his comment was genuine and meant solely as a joke.

Before introducing 'mocktails' we did have an offering of over 32 non-alcoholic drinks on our menu and, as mentioned, we have also introduced a non-alcoholic cocktail menu. I do hope that you will try us again and enjoy our new drinks!
“Really enjoyable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

We went here after the receptiknist at our hotel recommended it and we'd bypast some other menus on the way there. So glad we did! We walked in n it looked quite busy but a friendly face headed straight over offering assistance. He took us to a table asking if we require a wine list and havin a little joke with us. We were laughing instantly. Built up a good repor with the waiter really lovely how he tookthe time to chat to us and i dnt mean the how was your meal as they take your plates away but genuienly chatting about us, the day, the food ect havin a joke with us. Cant put a price tag on friendly service! Was so relaxed. It was busy inside but they wasnt a rush to get us out the door. We enjoyed a leisurly chat with each other. Had a lovely spot infront of fireplace too. Could of sat there all night! Didnt feel rushed out. The food was really lovely the portions are huge so beware! My partnwr had had crayfih cocktail for starter and was struggling thru his main (still ordered dessert tho, dno where he puts it!) he had the chicken ceaser salad and i went for the specials menu carbonnara! It was so lovely i wish i coulnof managed the whole portion! Really nice. The place was clean and had a noce atmosphere. They ws a christmas party in (yes in april) also so the bar was busy but the staff were still attentive to us and the noise wasnt overpowering as the bar is seperated from the restaurant by a wall. Even though the food was amazing my favourite part was the service. Waitors always ask how the meal was but very rarly actually listen to your reply and spend time chatting to you. Thank you very much for just adding to our little getaway. Making holidays perfect! Please pass on our feedback to the staff working monday 22nd nighttime

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Many thanks for your lovely review. I have passed on your comments and thanks to all of the staff working on the evening of your visit as it means a lot to them.

We hope to welcome you back to the Village Inn next time you are in the Lakes!
chester
“Fantastic food, shame about the service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

Just had a lovely meal at the Village Inn. Started with the baked camembert to share then husband had the hanging kebab and I had the ribs which were both wonderful. We had waited though for at least half an hour for a table (even though we were told we were first on the waiting list) then waited more than 10 minutes for our drinks and for our orders to be taken. Had to ask for napkins, gave up on the desert menu. Really think they need more staff. One very organised waitress, and a lovely but very disorganised waiter

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed the food, and apologise that we were caught on the hop a little when you visited. It is very hard for us to judge staffing levels as we were exceptionally busy this week despite the season not having started yet. More staff have now been assigned to prevent such issues from arising.

Hopefully you will be able to join us again soon for some more fabulous food.