“Nice decor - mediocre food.” 3 of 5 stars

+44 15394 43731
Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: British, Bar, Grill, Family Fare
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating, Special occasions
Description: The Village Inn, has recently been taken over and given a complete refurbishment. This amazing transformation must be seen! We serve food from 12pm until 10pm, serving fresh salads, homemade pasta, locally sourced meats on the grill, and amazing homemade cakes and desserts. Our modern and trendy bar offers beers from around the world with a great selection of wines, spirits, brandies and our freshly made cocktails. The Village Inn Bar and Grill is in the heart of Bowness on Windermere, its busy restaurant and bar make it a great place for locals and tourists a like. Come and see for yourself!
windermere
“Nice decor - mediocre food.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Local person eating here with some friends. The restaurant is lovely and the food was presented nicely. Quite pricey tho and the food just tasted average really. Loads of better places in Bowness to eat!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“Distinctly average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012 via mobile

My pet hate when going to a restaurant is being told off for not booking,(especially when the restaurant was as quiet as it was that night) by a waitress who was obviously expecting a quiet sunday night in work!! we were taken to a nice table for two, and ordered drinks which arrived in around 5 minutes, quite a while to wait for a peroni and a coke when your one of two tables in the restaurant ! The same waitress that greeted us when we arrived took our food Order. The size of the steaks was not stated on the menu so as most people would before paying 22.50 for a steak you would ask what size they were ! The waitress laughed and tried to show us the size using a hand gesture! My partner then asked if it was an 8oz steak and the waitress replied with "kind of", talk about great menu knowledge! We both ordered garlic bread to start, and tbone steaks at £21 each for our main course. Both courses were cooked and brought to the table in a reasonable time, the garlic bread was lovely ! The portions were great! The steaks themselves however were quite the opposite! We were not given steak knives so we thought that's why we couldn't cut our steaks, however even with steak knives it proved challenging ! Mine was just about edible However my partner couldn't eat hers at all due to the amount of fat. No body checked back on our meals so we were not given the option to have fresh steaks made! We informed the waitress there was a problem when she cleared us and she said she would send over the 'manager' who was wearing the same uniform as everybody else and happened to be the person that didn't give us our steak knives ! He didn't apologise however gave us 50% off the one steak, even though she barley touched her meal at all ! Overall not a great dining experience, probably won't be returning, a little staff training wouldn't go a miss!!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
queensheadtroutbeck, Owner at Village Inn, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Thank you for your review.

We are sorry to hear that you thought we were average. I was aware of the issue with the steaks, and when the dishes were cleared they did return relatively clear. The Manager did address your comments at the time and did discount a steak for you and apologised.

We do make sure all our customers are happy and do our upmost for them. I am glad you enjoyed the garlic bread and the portions, and thank you once again for your comments.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

We visited the Village Inn on our final night of our mid week break. The review on Trip Advisor seemed great so we decided to try the Village for a meal.

On entrance the service was great and we were seated promptly. Drinks and order were taken in good time. Our main issue was with the food unfortunately. I ordered a chicken and bacon Caesar salad to start. Although the presentation looked great it was not practical as the salad was in a small dish making it difficult to eat using cutlery (half of it went on my lap). The salad did taste like fish, including the cooked chicken and bacon. Half way through I found one piece of raw fish. I dislike fish and did not select a fish starter for this reason.

The waitress was very polite when we made her aware and she insisted that she discuss our concern with the Chef. We didn't want to make a scene however. She returned after speaking to the chef who advised this was an anchovy and part of the dish as the dishes had an Italian twist. This was not stated on the menu and the waitress commented they have had problems with this dish before (ie people stating that fish should not be amongst bacon and chicken). It looked like an accident not a deliberate part of the dish to be honest (ie only one piece of fish) and I was concerned that cooked meat and raw fish were together. The fish did not look like an anchovy either, it looked like whitebait (which just happened to be on the starters menu). Either way it spoilt my appetite and was a real shame.

Main course was well presented again but not practical. The venison burger served on a long rectangular ciabatta bun. Therefore you cannot eat the burger in the traditional sense, rather you must eat the meat only (or eat ciabatta). My lasagne looked lovely but I could only taste tomato unfortunately. I didn't eat much at all. The salad accompanying the lasagne did feature chickpeas and seemed to be an Italian style salad. I think we expected just a traditional british grill not food with Italian element.

We did complain and our concerns were listened to. We were left with food on the table however and we had no idea if we were paying or waiting for someone to return so we approached the bar. One starter was removed from the bill due to this being a known issue (with previous complaints). However we did have to pay approx £40 for the remainder (I probably had a mouthful of lasagne). We really did want to leave ASAP and so didn't haggle. I see this is such a difference from previous reviews however does reflect our experience on this occasion. Please do change the menu content to reflect the exact nature of the meal. If someone with allergy or who was pregnant ended up eating something not advertised on the menu the complaint could be far worse. I do see that the Village respond to negative complaints only on trip advisor. I am happy to discuss further.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for your review.

I am sorry you feel that your visit was disappointing. Regarding the caesar salad, a traditional caesar salad does have anchovies in it, however if you had liked your salad without them we would have been only too happy to serve you the salad without them.

We are a bar and grill, which serves homemade pasta, fresh meats from the grill with a twist. I am sorry that you were not happy with the presentation or taste of your main courses. Had you have let us know we would have been only too happy to replace the meals for you.

A starter was deducted from your bill and we did apologise. We can cater for any dietary requirements and special requests, and if there is anything, a member of staff would have been only to happy to help you and advise you on the dishes and their contents. We do put a lot of work into staff training and work very hard to make sure all our staff are trained to the highest standards.

Thank you for your review, and I do hope you try us again.
Windermere
“Will definately take our next guests here - beautiful interior and excellent food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

Just been on our works Christmas night out and had a 3 course meal. The food was excellent and the portions were huge. It was very busy when we arrived and I was very surprised with the interior which has all been changed since I last came for a drink here a few years ago. It was very sophisticated and I enjoyed our drinks in the lounge afterwards. There were big comfy sofas next to the log burner - great for a cold evening. We had a great night and couldn't fault the staff who were very attentive and friendly. They happily took time out to take a photo of our group. Next time we have visitors I'll be taking them to the Village Inn.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
queensheadtroutbeck, Manager at Village Inn, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Thank you for your kind recommendation.

I am glad to see positive reviews which shows the Village inn in its true light. You have praised the food, the service, the atmosphere and the design of the place and I appreciate this. Please do bring your visitors here next time!
Knutsford, United Kingdom
“Excellent food, friendly staff, welcoming and relaxed atmosphere.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

My husband and I along with three friends visited the village inn on Friday 23rd November. We hadn't booked but were swiftly shown to a perfect table, by a very friendly waitress. The food, staff and atmosphere were all fantastic and when we returned the next night for a drink the waiting staff remembered us. The onion bhaji and chicken liver parfait were both excellent as was the chefs special Lamb hotpot.
My husband and I had visited around four years ago and had a fabulous meal then and it was great to go back with friends and find the place if anything, even better.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
It is great to hear you enjoyed your visit to the Village Inn with your friends, and so must so you returned the next night!

Great service, great food and a great atmosphere is what we pride ourselves on.

We only took over the Village inn last Easter and it is nice to hear that we are better than what it was before as we have worked tirelessly to make the Village Inn Bar and Grill what it is today,and we continue to amend and improve it as we go along.