“Food was out of this world” 5 of 5 stars

+44 15394 43731
Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: British, Bar, Grill, Family Fare
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating, Special occasions
Description: The Village Inn, has recently been taken over and given a complete refurbishment. This amazing transformation must be seen! We serve food from 12pm until 10pm, serving fresh salads, homemade pasta, locally sourced meats on the grill, and amazing homemade cakes and desserts. Our modern and trendy bar offers beers from around the world with a great selection of wines, spirits, brandies and our freshly made cocktails. The Village Inn Bar and Grill is in the heart of Bowness on Windermere, its busy restaurant and bar make it a great place for locals and tourists a like. Come and see for yourself!
“Food was out of this world”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

Me and my mum went to this restaurant having read reviews from trip advisor. We ended up going twice in our weeks stay in bowness. I had the ultimate burger whilst mum had the char grilled chicken with garlic mushroom sauce. They looked amazing as they came to our table and tasted just the same.

I would recommend anyone to try this place if you like well cooked food that tasted fantasic.

Yorkshire
“Most definately recommend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

We were looking for a restaurant that served food all day, rather than set times. Village Inn is a modern contemporary bar grill / restaurant situated in the centre of Bowness. The ambience was relaxed and chilled with a large roaring log fire in the centre. There is a bar area to relax and have a drink and the restaurant part to the right. Candles are on each table to add to the mood. Great selection of drinks, including a couple of hand pulled local beers. The menu provided a great selection of choice, ranging from steaks / pasta / salads / fish, to cater for the majority of tastes. My mum opted for the chicken with garlic mushroom sauce, stir fried veg and homemade chips, whilst I opted for one of the blackboard specials of Spaghetti with creamy sauce, pancetta and mushrooms (similar to a carbonara, but darker and tastier). Portions are quite large so beware you may wish to pass on the starters. Price wise very fair, a few drinks and meal for 2 £30. The only downside to this restaurant is parking, your choice is on the street if you drop lucky or the pay and display car park down the road. Other than that you will enjoy.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
hull
“Very, very, impressive......a fantastic place - especially at christmas time!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

My new husband and I were married on 03/12/2011, and we visited the lakes for a few days following our wedding for our mini-moon! We stayed at the APHRODITIES LODGE close-by, and on the first evening there, went looking for somewhere to eat.
We stumbled upon THE VILLAGE INN, and OH WOW!! I loved the place even from the outside with the flame candle heaters which looked fantastic, so we went inside. I know it was christmas time, but the place just looked fantastic and cosily warm with the real open fire and festive decor.
We browsed the menu, and we really were spoilt for choice with so many mouth-watering dishes to choose from.....I was in my element!
Our starters arrived really quickly, and how fantastic! I ordered a garlic mushroom dish which came in a large bowl, accompanied with garlic bread slices and a beautiful baked parmesan cheese thingy sticking out the top of the bowl. It was absolutely beautiful and even though I have a big appetite, I was almost full with my starter!
My husband ordered the deep fried mozorella ball - thingy's which there was many of and were served in a little chip basket which I thought was a really quirky thing to do and loved it!
I won't go-on about our main courses as I'll never shut-up, but just wanted to say that our experience here was just perfect, I loved everything about it, so we returned for lunch the following day and we had the most impressive steak and onion sandwich that we still talk about today.
My only disappointment is that we do not live closer or have anything like this place anywhere near where we live! I cannot WAIT to return, and I am hoping this will be in December 2012 for our anniversary.

• Visited December 2011
cumbria
“city type pub in village”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

nice pub with very good selection of pricey real ales but expected in a tourist town. food good wifes lasagne as good as it gets. i chose venison burger. mine was good with real chips but a little dried out but still enjoyed. pub has had a lot of money spent on it, is both nice on the inside qand vibrant slated area with nice furniture on the outside, possibly marred a little by smokers. selection of gooey cakes on bar which my wife tried when we re-visited the following 2 days. she enjoyed them. i was offered a taste but chose some more verieties of ale. we wll be back!

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Workington, United Kingdom
“The meal that never was....”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

What can one say! i cant comment on the food as we give up waiting. After 1:30hr minutes i was presented with a plate of food i did not order. Lets begin from the begining we walk in to the Village Inn & selected 2 drinks from the bar. Bar attendant was pleasant although could not operate the till. After a period of 5 minutes we received our change & were seated in the restaurant. After a reasonable amount of time the waitress took our order. (nothing special requested just a couple of pasta dishes). The dining room was staff by the above waitress & a maitre d. Waitress was running around like a headless chicken whilst the female maitre d passed our table many times during the hour & a half we were there. On no occassions attending our table or acknowleding we were there. We managed to catch the waitresses eye after approx 1 hour of waiting. She came over to ask us what we had ordered? we confirmed we had placed the order with her reconfirming the order. She babbled something about the till, she appologised, my Wife asked for a couple of glasses of wine whilst we continued to wait. Waitress returned with the wine - prior to leaving our table stating the food would be with us within a few minutes. After a further 30 minutes the waitress returned presenting us with a plate of food we did not order? At this time we felt we had been more than reasonable & decided to leave. My Wife approached the maitre d on the way out & out lined the events of the evening & how dissapointed we were with the service provided from the waitress & from her for her failure to manage her dining room. Impotantly knowing what was going on with her Customers - the venue was not overly busy, given this service could have been managed by two competant members of staff. The maitre d did at this time try to offer an appology for the level of service we had received. I our opinion this was too little to late. If your on a calorie controlled diet the Village is the place for you, if you want fed "go elsewhere"...

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
queensheadtroutbeck, Manager at Village Inn, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
The service you received on Monday was not up to standard; we were a staff member down due to illness and annual leave, the waitress did mislay your order and there was a delay in putting it through the till to the kitchen, and yes she did make a mistake with your order and mixing up the char grilled chicken, instead of the chicken pasta you wanted. I apologise for these errors and hold are hands up to these mistakes.
The wait however you have overly exaggerated, and I have been waiting since Monday for your review as when you walked out, after not paying for your wines, you did threaten us that you were going home to write a review on Trip Advisor.
Everybody makes mistakes, the staff member in question was very traumatised by her errors and actually offered to resign. I do not think any guest or customer at any establishment should threaten staff or upset them.
On this occasion I apologise for the service, and had you have heard us out on the night we would have been more than happy to take your details and send you a complimentary voucher for you to try the Village Inn or the Queen's Head in Troutbeck. This would have all been dealt with on the night, but you would not wait and were adamant on leaving immediately. Unfair comments can be made by upset reviewers who do not understand the hurt and upset their words can sometimes cause. Everyone else on that night fully enjoyed their meals and their visit to the Village Inn, and I do apologise that your experience was not the same as our other guests that evening.